Author Topic: Stuart Pillar Drill  (Read 3069 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Stuart Pillar Drill
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
Hello,
I would think building the Stuart Pillar Drill from the casting kit would be an interesting and not too challenging project. Anthony Mount featured the build in Model Engineer magazine in 2006. Unfortunately, Tee Publishing can only find two of the four back issues where the construction report was published - Volume 197 Issues 4279 and 4281. The other two missing are  #'s 4283 and 4285.

I am new to the forum and don't know if this project has surfaced much. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers…John
P.S. My search for a metal lathe and milling machine has ended at Micro-Mark. I should be off and running this summer. :whoohoo:

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: Stuart Pillar Drill
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
I can't really help you with this, but I see you are also new to the forum, and I was fascinated to see the video of the card stock engine. Good luck with your engine project. I'm working on a unique design of my own, and learning about machining as I go.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
There was a article in Model Engineer a few years back, can't remember which way it was, but either a Stuart shaper was converted into a horizontal milling machine, or the other way round.  There is also / was, a blacksmith's mechanical hammer.    Ian S C

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:51 PM »
Thank you Paul and Ian,

Yes, Stuart makes several casting kits for workshop models: The Engineering lathe, the pillar drill, the shaping machine and the steam hammer. They would be wonderful in a 1:12 scale machine shop model driven by an overhead line shaft.

I have found two of the back issues for the pillar drill at Tee Publishing Ltd.

Thanks for your input.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal