Author Topic: Horizontal Milling Attachment  (Read 15116 times)

Offline ttrikalin

Re: Horizontal Milling Attachment
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 02:22:56 AM »
impressive stuff.
hats off, good Sir

t
take care,

tom in MA

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:05 AM »
Great to see all the toys working so well, very impressive.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:44 AM »
Excellent work on a great project Chuck. I don't know how many times I've needed a horizontal setup and this would be just the ticket.
To reinforce what you said about the gear sizes. When I built my 302 many years ago I never payed much attention that the cam gear is almost twice as large as the distributor gear but yet they run at the same speed. With helicals it's not the diameter but the tooth count. Same number of teeth same rpm, twice as many teeth, half the rpm.
Thanks,
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Thanks, Whiskey.  I was raised in a small town in the Midwest, very poor and had to entertain myself with whatever was available, cheap.  These days I could probably afford to buy things like the right angle attachment and 4th axis, but most of the fun is in figuring out how they work and making my own.  Half the fun is in the journey, as they say!

Thanks Don, Dave, T, Hugh, I always appreciate and enjoy the comments.

Thanks, George.  I had started looking at different helical angled gears because the gearing that drives valve trains usually has a small gear on the crankshaft and a big gear on the cam to get the 2:1 ratio.  However, the crankshaft is usually the larger of the two and mechanically it makes more sense to have the larger gear on the crankshaft.  Now, finding someone who sells helical gears is hard enough, but finding anything other than 45 degree helical gears is near impossible.  That's really what's driven me to figure out how to make my own.  Luckily for me,  enjoy the process.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline hitnmiss49

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
Chuck,

The Crankshaft and Distributor Pinion Gears make great Helical Gears for a model engine. The Pinion gear is very hard so it needs to be heated red hot and cooled slowly to soften it for machining. I have used them on several model sideshaft engines and they work very well.

Lonnie

Offline hitnmiss49

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
 Chuck,

Forgot to state the Gears in my previous post are VW gears.

Lonnie

Offline Coopertje

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
Cool chuck, works very well! Thanks for sharing

Jeroen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal