Author Topic: Rudy's Radial 5 at Half Scale  (Read 60867 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Rudy's Radial 5 at Half Scale
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:07:38 AM »
Being inspired by Kim's full size build and Dave's (dreeves) half scale version which I saw at CF, I had picked up the "Chapbook" containing this engine at cabin Fever from the Village Press folks. This week I got a start on it and redrew the bearing housing at half scale.

Starting with a piece of 1.25" Aluminum I put a reference groove where the taper would end (photo 1) and then set the compound to the almost 13 degree angle and began to cut the taper (photo 2). Once that was done, I cleaned up the face with just a skim cut and finished turning the OD to the 1.000 inch dia. required (photo 3).

Photo 4 shows center drilling for the bore followed by drilling it through (not shown). Since there will be a bronze bushing both at the front and rear of the bearing housing, the bore was simply drilled and the bushing will be made to be a press fit followed by reaming them both at the same time for the 5/32" dia crankshaft.

The chuck was then relocated to the RT which was set vertical in the mill table to drill the #56 hole for the teenie crankcase vent plug which will be an 0-80 thread. (photo 5)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:20:15 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Rudy's Radial 5 at Half Scale
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:37 AM »
Transferring the chuck back to the lathe, I parted off the housing from the parent stock (photo 1) and then reversed it and got it running square with a dial test indicator to face the back side (photo 2), finally adding the .031 deep step where it will mate with the crankcase (photo 3). Photo 4 shows the roughly finished piece. The holes for mounting it to the crankcase will await the crankcase's roughing out but I have some fixturing to do first before starting on that major part of the engine. Next up I will make the two bronze bushings for the front and back of the bearing housing.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:20:33 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »
Your off to a good start Bill and I will be pulling a chair to see it complete. We need a way to put yours next to Kim's for comparison when they are completed.  :popcornsmall:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »
Thanks Don, you saw the comparison between my 1x scale and Stan's 2x version of the Liney RV-1 at CF. The difference was astounding. Having seen dreeves build of this on also at half scale I thought it was a "cute" but still doable size. My opinion may change once I get to some of the smaller parts though :) Dave has done a wonderful job on his so I can only hope to do as well, or for that matter as well as Kim is doing on his at full size. At least if I screw up, it only costs some smallish bits of aluminum or brass.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
Sounds like a nice engine to build at half scale ;D.

Looking forward to seeing it progress  :popcorn:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »
I'm in Bill, looking forward to it.

Hugh.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Bill, this is so cool seeing parts I'm intimately familiar with, but looking so small!  I'm excited to follow along with your build.  Not sure I'd be willing to tackle it at 1/2 scale, but maybe, someday, that will be the kind of challenge I'm looking for. For the moment, building full size is challenge enough for me.  I'll be sitting here in the cheering section, watching you work. :popcorn:

Thanks for taking the time to post. 
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the interest everyone. And Kim...thanks for the inspiration, I knew of this engine, but it had totally fallen off the radar until seeing your build of it here. I may be needing to ask some questions along the way also. I know what you mean too about watching another build of something we have already done, I am enjoying that with the Rider Ericsson build Bob has started and which Stan will be starting on soon.

Bill

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
I'll be watching this one as I have been following Kim's.
 One of my favorite engines. At 1/2 scale, it will certainly be a challenge.

John

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
Bill, as you know I like to scale things up a tad but going the other way and five cylinders to boot is another thing all together  :o - I shall watch your progress with deep interest - good luck on your journey  :ThumbsUp:

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jack B

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
Hi Bill I am glad you mentioned the size of your stock and showed the part in your hand. At first I was wondering about the scale. What you have machined so far looks like a great start. I will keep an eye on it. Best of luck with your build.   Jack B
Jack B

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:28 AM »
Thanks to all of you that have expressed an interest in this build. I did spend an hour or two in the shop  tonight making the bushings and finishing up a few other operations on the bearing housing. I found a couple of bits of bronze in the scrap cup and turned the flange OD of .250" and the smaller OD to .219 for a light press into both ends of the bearing housing (photo 1). Each bushing was drilled to .152" for later reaming to .1563" after pressing into the housing.  I parted each off leaving extra on the flange end to face off then reversed them in che chuck to bring the flange down to .013" wide (photo 2). Photos 3 & 4 show the bushings pressed in and photo 5 shows how thin the flange actually is. The bearing housing was then chucked in the lathe and reamed through both bushings so the bores would be in line with each other (photo 6). The housing was then put in the mill vise to drill the #57 hole from the back end up to the previously drilled hole in the angled part of the housing front. (photo 7). Together these holes form the vent  for the crankcase. Lastly for tonight I tapped the hole on the tapered part of the housing to 0-80 [photo 8]. Except for the mounting holes, that pretty well finished up the bearing housing. I do still need to make the threaded vent part. That should be a trick...1/16" OD, threaded 0-80, and drilled and cross drilled so it will actually "vent". More on that tomorrow perhaps.  Thanks for checking in!!

Bill
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:29:25 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
Wow, bill you jumped in with both feet.  :lolb:  I got to get with it and finish mine or your going to pass me

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
I wouldn't be too worried Dave, this is only one relatively simple part...long ways to go yet :)  And BTW, I really liked your engine(s) support stands much better than Rudy's. I want to try and come up with something similar for this one.

Bill

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 06:53:08 PM »
Well, you certainly took off on this one Bill.  I'll be in the peanut gallery as well  :popcorn:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal