Author Topic: Baby needs a new pair of shoes  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Baby needs a new pair of shoes
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
I have my baby (Daisy the Derbyshire) up and running on her new VFD system. Why did I wait so many years to power machines this way? It is the cat's meow.
Anyhow, now this little kitty needs a tool post, so I shopped and found an inexpensive QCTP with tool holders that was sized small enough to fit on this tiny stage.
The post block is 1-3/4" on a side.
If you have a Schaublin 70, micro lathe, or Unimat, this is right for you.
Did have to make a mounting block, but that's OK.

That is a 1/4" diameter rod in the collet.
Mosey   :Love:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Baby needs a new pair of shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
Looks like a nice stud machine Mosey. You may be making Jo jealous. That VFD will work great for tapping and threading also. I like............. :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:06:32 AM »
That looks awesome Mosey!   that is a sweet machine!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:32:28 AM »
Mosey, would that happen to be one of the A2Z toolposts? Looks a lot like the one  I have on my Sherline and I love it!!

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
It looks to be identical to the A2Z, but cost only $70.00. It is quite nice, and the VFD is great, one changing belts or pulleys, and dial up any speed from zero to max. with a knob.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:52:57 AM »
If you have a Schaublin 70, micro lathe, or Unimat, this is right for you.
Mosey   :Love:

Schaublin lists two types of quick change tool holders for the 70 and the 102 lathes, the Multifix and the tripan. They chose systems that matched the quality and accuracy of their machine tools, why would you want to fit anything less?

Jo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:56:10 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
Because mortgages can be used to buy houses?

Offline Mosey

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
Jo, thank you.
I believe that those extremely well made pieces are 3-5 times the cost of these Chinese ones. I would have one if I could afford it, especially the Tripan for it's angular TP clearance.
Once the tool is secured to the post the only added feature of the Multifix is the ability to rotate it at numerous angles, a nice feature.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
Once the tool is secured to the post the only added feature of the Multifix is the ability to rotate it at numerous angles, a nice feature.
Mosey

No once a tool is mounted in a multifix holder it is the ability to take one tool holder out, put another holder in, and go back to the original knowing its cutting edge is within a micron of its original location each and every time  ;) A Multifix does not rotate  :hellno:, it has 40 predefined angles that you can mount a tool on.. all to the same level of micron accuracy, enabling you to repeat it time and time and time again  8).

Its what that tool holder function on your lathe DRO is there for   ;)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »
Talking of going back in the same place, whats it like for keeping tool height? In the first picture the brass adjusting nut looks to be sitting at an angle :-[ which does not bode well for retaining the height setting.

J

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
Terribly observant, Jason, thanks.

Thanks for noticing that I have the adjuster almost out of it's threaded hole to set up the tool holder. I am planning to cut the height of the post by about 1/4" to give me more bite on the adjuster nut and am in the process of measuring what can be gained. After threading it back in place, it is quite steady and holds position, but nothing like a Multifix. I don't think I ever expected a tool bit to go back in place with accuracy as I don't take them in and out without freshly setting their position.  Sharp eyes.
Mosey

Offline muddled engineer

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
Hi Mosey,

Here are a few pictures of my Schaublin 70 with a Multifix Aa size, it is the smallest
 one that they make and should fit your Derbyshire a treat, you have a very nice
and a well respected lathe in the Derbyshire and it derserves the best tooling you
 can afrord, I know Multi fix are not cheap, but the qualty is long rembered after
 the price is forgoten, and it is a pleasuer to use.

Rember you only have to buy it once.

http://www.createtool.com/index.asp

Eric

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
 :o Eric, You didn't mention that your Schaublin 70 rear tool post was also a Multifix  8)

And  :thinking: those Multifix made by the Chinese under license with four tool holders are dirty cheap, ok  just under 3 times the price of what that Mosey brought.... So just in case my new friend :mischief: doesn't come with a set and the postman finds himself delivering me a parcel or two, let all the members witness I would not have done it without encouragement and it is all his fault  :LittleDevil:

Did I mention my Colchester B type tool holders might have been breeding: the happy day is tomorrow :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Mosey

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
Eric and Jo,
Thank you both for your selfless concern for my shop. Clearly, I should reconsider and look again at the Multifix, so the best thing would be for me to borrow your setups and try them out. I'll be right over. (10 tool holders?) I will also need a place to bunk while the divorce papers go thru.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »
I recommend the first week in July, that way you can come to the Rally and see the MEM stand  8) We are not far from Heathrow  ;) And there will be some of the best casting providers from the UK attending  :naughty:

Eric having only 10 Multifix tool holders  :lolb: I recently brought 12 from him and I don't think the resulting gap between the remaining ones is noticeable on the shelves. The ones in the Schaublin tray are the ones that won't fit on the shelf  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 01:36:22 PM »
My mother told me about the birds and the bees  :thinking: but she did not warn me about tool holders. Twenty years the three of them have been well behaved until I gave two of them the opportunity to sit in the sun:

and this happened  ;D

:whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
Best chuck a bucket of water over them now before you are overrun by the things :ShakeHead:

Offline Mosey

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »
Jo,
I am ashamed of my Oliver Twist like meager tooling, so please go easy on me as you gaze on my poverty. Here is a picture of them, kept in the basement shop away from the light. As you can see, rabbit-like proliferation has been avoided.
These are Aloris AXA and the newly acquired Aaa baby holders.

Mosey

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Jo-

I got a good chuckle out of that.  I couldn't see the second picture until after I read your first two sentences and scrolled down.  I was thinking, "What the heck is Jo's point here?"  Thanks, I needed a little laugh today.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »
Jo,
The boring bar on the right of your display appears massive.  What's the minimum bore that bad boy will handle?

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 12:17:27 AM »
I'm sorry, I thought I had the addictive genetic make up, but, y'all got a thang over this stuff. Looks like a " metal place" to store your tool bits. Turn, face, bore, knurl, thread,  that'll bout cover my collection. They do look cool though, just ordered six more Aloris holders (no, not really 8)), well, maybe ;)

Whiskey

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:35 AM »
I don't think you could ever have too many tool holders.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 03:34:08 AM »
I don't think you could ever have too many tool holders

Dave,
That would explain why, no matter how many I buy, I'm always one (1) short? :Lol:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 07:39:53 AM »
Jo,
The boring bar on the right of your display appears massive.  What's the minimum bore that bad boy will handle?

Cheers,
Phil

The minimum on that bar is about 45mm  ;).

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal