Author Topic: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C  (Read 126629 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C
« Reply #600 on: January 22, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »
Thanks for the vote Roger  :wine1:. Well after a bit more fiddling, I have it latching out and actually hitting and missing and not just "missing" :lolb:. I'm still not happy with the carb and I don't know whether it's lack of compression or what, but, it ain't got enough power to pull a greased string outta a mule's butt  :shrug:. Any thoughts? So here is y'all a video of the second run. Y'all come back to see us now ya hear.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RtyIprL_g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2RtyIprL_g</a>

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #601 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Cletus do you have a pic of the wall engine? A search turns up several different things.

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #602 on: January 22, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the vote Roger  :wine1: . Well after a bit more fiddling, I have it latching out and actually hitting and missing and not just "missing" :lolb: . I'm still not happy with the carb and I don't know whether it's lack of compression or what, but, it ain't got enough power to pull a greased string outta a mule's butt  :shrug: . Any thoughts? So here is y'all a video of the second run. Y'all come back to see us now ya hear.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/n2RtyIprL_g[/youtube1]

Cletus

I'd bet valves 1st, rings 2nd.

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

« Reply #603 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:14 PM »
Bob, I'm leaning towards the rings  :thinking:  Bill, I think this is it

https://goo.gl/images/I4KXmg

Cletus

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #604 on: January 22, 2017, 11:15:25 PM »
Hey Eric, you're Red Wing sounds great!
I can clearly here it hitting and missing!
KIm

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #605 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »
Valves.....bet ya a snort!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #606 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
Yeah, that would be a nice little twin Eric!! Go for it  :D

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #607 on: January 23, 2017, 02:46:47 AM »
Your Red Wing sounds great Eric. I love that sound. Well done.  :ThumbsUp: Maybe a few hours of running will help on the power end of things as it gets broken in.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #608 on: January 28, 2017, 04:06:41 PM »
Looks and sounds great Eric.

I enjoy hearing a hit-n-miss engine. Someday I'll give it a go.

P.S. I still miss the beans.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
Hi Eric,
By not having any power do you mean when a load is placed on the flywheel? If everything seems good, valve seal, compression etc. maybe just advancing the timing a little might perk it up. Before making any radical changes I would look at things like the weight of the intake spring or timing.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

« Reply #610 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »
Thanks guys. Things have been turned upside down for me for the last couple of months. The business is booming and labor situation sucks, Mom had a small spot of breast cancer and has been undergoing radiation and I'll be damned if dad (80 year old) didn't have to have quadruple bypass. It's been rough and rocky traveling, but, things are getting better. Dad would come to the shop every Sunday morning and check on the progress of the build and when he found out his cardiovascular system was in the shape it was in, he said I don't know if I'll live long enough to see this one running. So, that was an inspiration just to get the old Red Wing to run. I got to tell him today that the next build would be a team build by the both of us. For the first couple of days I wondered if he would ever see this one painted,  but, he is doing better now and looks like I'll have a helper for awhile longer. Mom finishes radiation this week and has no further treatment with a likelihood of reoccurrence nearly zilch. I normally wouldn't go into all this, but, today, sitting in that hospital room, I realized that as an only of an only, with no blood children of my own, there ain't much left. You guys have pretty much become my family and certainly my best friends. Thanks guys for being here. George, I'll check the timing and yes it just bogs out when just applying HEAVY thumb pressure. I suspect the rings. I may have overbored a wee bit cause it takes very little effort to get the piston and rings in the cylinder. I wonder if I might be over oiling and the rings may not have seated. These are the things we just have to figure out and that's part of the fun. Thanks for the ear guys, and I really mean it.

Cletus

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #611 on: January 30, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »
Glad to hear your parents are doing well. Mine are long gone after more than 20 and 30 years. My younger brother has broken off contact and AFAIK never had children, my sister and BIL are childless, and so am I. My father's brother also had no children. So this is the end of the line for the Schoens. Except for a few good friends locally, my "family" has become mostly people on forums such as this.  :old:

I don't have much experience with model IC engines, so I can't offer much help. I suppose you could use a compression gauge on your engine to see if it is sufficient, and that should check the rings as well as the valves. Leakage is probably much more critical for a slow-running engine like a hit-and-miss. Yes, troubleshooting is definitely a large part of the fun, and it just feels really good when you finally figure something out and fix it. That applies to my electronics designs and programming as well as machining and engines. Good luck!  :DrinkPint:

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #612 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »
Eric-

I am glad to hear that things worked out for your parents' health issues.  You'll get the Red Wing running better.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #613 on: January 30, 2017, 04:39:03 AM »
Eric,

It's great to hear that things are on the upswing with mom and dad. I like the "team build" idea. I know it's going to mean a lot to your dad.  :ThumbsUp: I did numerous team builds of sorts with my dad through my lifetime. He's gone now, but I have a lot of nice memories!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #614 on: January 30, 2017, 05:49:51 AM »
Hey Eric,
So, sorry to hear about all the issues going on in your family, but glad to hear your parents are doing better.  It's these type of situations that provide the 'perspective snap' that we need from time-to-time to remember what's important in life.
Best of luck with your team build with your dad!  I'll be following along.
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal