Author Topic: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C  (Read 126593 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Arnold, us old boys just don't get out much, but, when we do; look out. Now, I'll have to admit that the seasoning in the beans and BBQ have been know to release endorphins that promote spending; that's how I pay for me toys :lolb: :lolb:

Whiskey

P.S. The Turkey (101 proof) will get you there quicker with less, shall we say, side effects; however, Jack is just plain old country good. And it is a certified Tennessee whiskey ;)

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 06:43:17 PM »
Just to let y'all know that I'm still doing a smidgen of work in the shed, I'll throw this out for feedback. In between waiting for primer to dry and polishing this and that on the Quarter Horse, I have been looking at prints and pre planning on the Red Wing. The biggest challenge I see so far is boring the cylinder. My mill doesn't have the Z room and my lathe doesn't have T slots on the cross slide. I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter this problem and I'm also certain that someone here knows the cure for what ails me. I'll be thanking y'all for your suggestions. Come see us now ya hear.

Whiskey

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
I don't know what lathe you have, but in general if there are any tapped holes on the cross slide or even if you are prepared to drill and tap a few anything can be clamped. Think bush engineering!  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
Eric,

Can you mount a plate on the cross slide using the compound mounting hardware/feature?.....I did that on my Logan and it worked very well.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »
That was my initial thinking, just throwing the line out.

Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
Better be careful what you go fishin' for Eric. Even if you hook one, you never know what it may be till it breaks the surface...and you don't be needing any more little SUV's on their sides with broken wheels and such  :lolb: :lolb:

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »
Hi Eric,

Another option which leaves the X slide alone is to make a substantial "Z" Jig which fits into the tool post. The flat bottom part on which the cylinder is mounted can be supported by a couple of jacking bolts at its' outer end and once made its' yours for future through boring.

HTH

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:22 PM »
My compound on my Logan has a central pin and a pair of T bolts that fit into a circular T slot in the cross slide.

I take off the two T nuts, remove the compound, and add this plate

It's just a piece of cast aluminum jig plate with reamed whole in the middle and two counterbored holes to hold the T nuts....put the nuts back on and I'm in like Flynn!

Boring my SB countershaft housing

Boring the SB tailstock for the new quill.... in this case I added a knee to the plate...just drill holes in the plate where you need them.

Easy Peasy!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics Dave. I was planning on making a jig plate to mount the main casting to for all operations, so, now I'll just incorporate the holes for mounting to the cross slide. This boring between centers is gonna be a new one for me. I've seen several homemade boring bars for this, are any available store bought. You know how Stan and I are :lolb:.

Whiskey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:24 PM »
Not that I recall Eric....but if you check some of the online stores of our British brethren,  you might find something.....however.

If you're at all like me....and most of us...you save  your broken center drills....you do do that right? 8)

They are nice bits of HSS...that can be ground into boring bar inserts just as slick as can be....and drilling a hole in a bar and putting a set screw perpendicular and in line isn't too tough if you can machine an engine.....hell the piece in the photo had holes in it already...it was scrap from a prototype machine I designed....they threw it out...I put it in the trunk and made a boring bar from it.
There are some nice designs by GHT in his workshop book too.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
I have been wondering how you were going to machine that main casting  :LittleDevil:

Just be thankful that it is a nice chunky, forgiving casting  ;) You could have had a more challenging one like my Mery. As you can see she will be a interesting between centres boring job and to give you an idea of size that casting is 12" long .

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
Eric,
Got sum big boring bars up here, don't need em everyday. Tell me what you want.
Mosey :hammerbash:

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
Fly up here and we can put it on the Bridgeport
Best,
Stan

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the offer guys. Mosey, I have a wide assortment for the boring head, just haven't done a between center one. Stan, mighty tempting. I have a good friend with an auto engine machine shop that would be more than happy to let me use his line boring machine to do it with, but, is that considered "cheating"?  Whilst I am continuing to plot and plan on this one, it may be awhile before I start the build. I've got some little fixtures I want to make to assit with the build and I'm thinking I'd really like to build my die filer kit, so as to be able to use it on this build. Thanks my coon ass brother for the drawings, that's something else to make before the build. I'll turn to my Yankee brother from Wooooostah, for help on the cross slide plate. It's just so much I want to do before I start the build, yet I look at the castings all laid out and I get the itch to just "make something". Thanks for thinking about me and I'll be 'round to visit y'all when I can :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
Just give plenty of warning before you show up, hahaha!
Mosey   :lolb:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal