Author Topic: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C  (Read 124924 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
Jo its not more expensive than buying one over here the basic casting kit is $550 vs £495. It is more expensive if you get all the other bits to go with it - CD, Plugs, Carb, wires, oilers, rings, ignition, screw pack, pipe fittings, etc.

Will be watching this one, maybe the Galloway next time.

J

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging start. Just to clarify, I had a ball shopping with Bill and wouldn't have had it any other way. Jo, Jason is correct. The base kit was just $550, it was all the extras, i.e. buzz coil, mixer casting set, spark plug, lubrication kit, fuel line kit and materials kit that ran the price up. I didn't buy the screw pack, as I'm kinda enjoying making my own. As it turns out, the mixer casting was included in the main set and all the internals for it are in the materials kit; as was the spark plug. So, I now have extras. Dave Otto, I'm in pretty good shape on die grinders and burrs I think and looks like I'm going to need them. It is better to have more stock than too little, but, now I can't fuss about the grinder happy chap when I screw it up :lolb:. Jason, if there had been a Galloway that I could have brought home like I did this one, that is what I would have bought this time, but next one for sure. Gail, this hobby and Lou have done a good job of keeping me out of the bars, but off y'alls back; Fergit it, ain't a gonna happen :LittleDevil:. Zee, looks like I may have to "take a wrong turn in Albeequrkeee"  :lolb:. Thanks again for stopping in and y'all come back to see us now you hear.

Whiskey

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »

Zee, looks like I may have to "take a wrong turn in Albeequrkeee" 

Whiskey

Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat? Looking forward to this Eric, that's a formidable casting you have there. What size are you dealing with?

Hugh.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
Hugh and Zee, "excuse me, pardon me, excuse me, pardon me, I got it, I ain't got it, I got it, I ain't got it; Man weren't those the days :lolb: :lolb:  BeepBeep ;). You know I bought some tooling from the Acme Tool Co. :lolb: :lolb:  Jo had asked for some family photos before I started butchering, er I mean machining this build, and when a lady ask, I provide ;). Hugh, it's 1/4 scale, the flywheels are near 8" or so in old money as Tel says. You can kinda judge by the books in the background. Hope y'all stick around when I commence to butchering, er, I mean machining.

:cheers: Mates,
Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Ok Dog! Commence a butchering, I mean machining.   :popcornsmall:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 12:54:56 AM »
Them are some nice looking parts Eric!

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »
Sure are Eric. Is the family photo JUST the basic casting kit parts or some of the other ancillary items too? Either way it's a fine looking kit!!

Bill
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:20:22 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
Nice family shot of UNFINISHED parts!  :cussing:
Quit teasing.
Get that quarter horse done and then get to it!  ;D
Or I'll tell Wiley you got roadrunner blood in ya.

Beep Beep yourself.  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:09 AM »
23 replies and he hasn't even started. If you're pulling up a chair, add a footrest, blanket, pillow and calendar. Between my upcoming Rider-Ericsson build and the Red Wing, you guys are in for a looooooong summer.
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
 :headscratch: whys she got a bronze con rod?

I could find a home for those  :embarassed:

23 replies and he hasn't even started. If you're pulling up a chair, add a footrest, blanket, pillow and calendar. Between my upcoming Rider-Ericsson build and the Red Wing, you guys are in for a looooooong summer.

Hey big E has only two on the go  :naughty: he's already on the way down that slippery slope  :lolb:

As they say why rush a good thing  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
:headscratch: whys she got a bronze con rod?

Quite common to cast all the smaller parts in Bronze or GM as it saves the risk of thin parts getting chilled and being almost impossible to machine. Also the Bronze flows through the finer parts more easily so a higher percentage of usable castings keeps the costs down.

Also saves having to use a separate thin bronze bearing where the original would have had babbit.

Someone decided to do all these bits in iron for the IHC Famous and they all ended up in the bin.

J
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:20:12 PM by Jasonb »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:21:49 PM »
Nice project Eric.  I'll be following along.  I have a few "First IC build" stories to tell.  Just ask AussieJimG when he comes to visit. :cheers:

Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
Zee, just leave Wiley out of it or DOG will have his butt on the BBQ pit :lolb:. Jason, my brother across the pond and interpreter to Jo;  thanks I didn't know why, but, now I do, I just thought they looked good shiny :cartwheel: Stan, I haven't had this many replies to a single build I've done :lolb:, must be the new cologne, "Spindle Oil #2, by Ralph" :lolb: :lolb:, and you're right it's going to be a long summer, but, I'll try to make it a happy one :DrinkPint:. Bill, with the exception of the two plastic bags (fuel line kit and lubrication kit) everything else was standard fare in the casting kit, see PM forthcoming. Dave O, they do look good all laid out, now, let's see how they look when I get 'em all put together :shrug:. Phil, I'm thinking this is going to be material for the "Whiskey Comedy Hour" for a long time. (P.S. I have a little surprise for Jim)Y'all keep them cards and letters a coming, now you hear :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »
Eric,
You must be something special...I barely have time to make parts, and you have time to write poetry! Wow!
Course, taking all of those  pictures will take some time, won't it?
Your buddy in crime,
Mosey
 :ROFL:

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
I'd just like to know...  What the Heck was injected into the air at Cabin Fever ?  Or was it in Whiskey's food ?
I want some of that as a pick-me-upper - or maybe not...  Seems to have loosened purse strings an awful lot judging by how many castings and new tooling's suddenly going around  :LittleDevil:

Ok, I'll bite and get a bottle of Jack or Wild Turkey to settle in for this build  ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal