Author Topic: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C  (Read 124917 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:39:48 AM »
Boy, I'm getting slower. I just had a chance today to finally get everything from Cabin Fever put away. Now, I purchased my next build at CF, The Red Wing 5HP in 1/4 scale. It all happened late Saturday afternoon as Bill Lindsey and I were discussing that I/C was my next step and after weighing the pros and cons for a first time builder of said animal and the ease of support and purchase of stuffed castings, it was  concurred that PM was a good bet. Being a true Southern gentleman, Bill said: "Come on, I'll help you spend your money", and off to the PM booth we did go. Right off we picked the water cooled version and sure to true Southern fashion old Bill kept saying "well while you're hear you might as well go on and get the---", and Hell, I did. I bought everything to start that sucker but some gas, plug wire and JB weld, and oh yeah a battery. $929USD later we walk away and are both giggles all over. Now I still have to finish and paint the "Quarter Horse", but, I did take a peak at the castings today. Talk about some fettling, didn't have to worry about some grinder happy chap at the foundry, these suckers ain't seen a grinder :lolb: :lolb:  Piccys below, and y'all stay tuned for breaking news updates on this build :lolb: :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Getting My Wings- 1/4 scale Red Wing--My first I/C
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:54 AM »
Dam! You did spend some green didn't you. With that kind of bread I could tour the UK.  :lolb:
Well if your going to go go big, hell us southern don't doing it half ass. Go for it my brother and I'm pulling a chair.  :popcorn:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »
Eric, better that they left some flash on the castings where you can control the removal of it than to give it to some grinder happy foundry person who would take too much off perhaps. And for the record, spending YOUR money is a heck of a lot more fun (not to mention economical) than spending mine :)  You did good brother and that will make a fine model !!!

Bill

BTW...love the title of the thread :)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:16:45 AM »
That will keep you out of the bars and off our backs for a while!  :D

Don't get carried away with the fettling.  You have to leave a little of the charm on the finished model.  Make it look like the real thing.  Knock off the worst of it then put it outside in the rain for a few weeks and all the shiny spots will disappear. 

Happy for you, Whiskey.  Not every year we get such a nice new toy.

Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:22:38 AM »
I agree with Bill, it's probably better that the castings weren't touched with a grinder happy worker. I enjoyed "lurking" & watching your last build, fantastic job BTW.

I'll be watching this from a dropped tailgate on an old Ford. (Wish I had one.) :)

:popcornsmall: John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »
That ought to challenge the old gray matter.

Like Jo I like to fettle my castings before any machine work is started; that way you don't foul any of those nicely machined surfaces with the slip of a file or carbide burr. Do you have a die grinder, Dremel?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbide-burs/=rn0vjn

These are nice tools and the 1/8" shank ones work well in a Dremel tool. I have a set of the 1/4" tools with 1/8" shanks and a set of the 1/8" tools also with 1/8" shanks. These proved invalueable while doing some sculpting on the Pacific castings.

I also have purchased a nice assortment of US made 1/4" shank carbide burrs from Enco when they have them on sale.

Dave

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:27:02 AM »
I'll be tuned in also Eric.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
That looks awesome Eric!...Looking forward to the build!...got my cylinder iron today...so I'll be out there too.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:03:42 AM »
Eric
Yours has more flash than mine. Always one-upping.

The carbide burrs look like a useful thing to have. The ⅛" is perfect for the Foredom but...
I'm confused. (Normal state)

This shows 2 sets.
Which would be more useful for castings? Single or double cut???

http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbide-burs/=rn1dst

Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:55:57 AM »
That will keep you out of the bars and off our backs for a while!  :D

Eric...time for Bugs..."He don't know me very well, do he?"  :lolb:

:popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jack B

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:57 AM »
GOOD luck T.w. that looks like the start of a nice project. I will keep an eye out.       Jack B
Jack B

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:07 AM »
The Red Wing is a pretty engine and runs really well.  Should be a good project for you.  I'm jealous! 

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:13:17 AM »
Hey Eric,
Congrats on your score at CF!  Looks like you've got some cool stuff to keep you busy for a while :)
I'm looking forward to watching you build this one! I'll definitely be following along.
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
 :headscratch: That's even dearer than buying one over here.

Fettling castings to start with is good for you: It lets you learn the shape of the casting, whilst you are doing it you can think about how you are going to hold it  ;).  I personally do most of the fettling with an old bastard or his second and only get the dremel out for the last few bits (or like on Xmas Eve  :zap: didn't bother )

That base casting is going to present a few challenges but it is all part of the fun of castings :LittleDevil:

:embarassed: Can we have a few pictures of the full casting set before you get carried away  :cheers:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:51 AM »
Not knowing much about these engines I was curious about what the final result might look like. Took a bit of searching but I found this:
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/4-scale-5-hp-red-wing.aspx

Looks like a lot more than that one big rough casting! Wow! My hat's off to you for attempting something of this apparent complexity. But it seems to be a good-looking engine. Maybe my visit to Cabin Fever next year will be when I take the plunge into this level of model engine making. I'm still having fun with basic machining and producing piles of swarf and funny sounds with the help of my machine tools as I learn how to (and how not to) use them. Good luck on your project, Whiskey!

PS: A similar set of castings is $500 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-scale-water-Cooled-Red-Wing-hit-miss-gasoline-motor-machinist-casting-kit-/230835325709
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:52:21 AM by PStechPaul »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal