Author Topic: Dremel drill press repair piece needed  (Read 4581 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Dremel drill press repair piece needed
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 12:47:26 AM »
That's how Shapeways does it.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 03:19:06 AM »
Allan I tried the direct approach both the regional importer and Dremel. Dremel didn't answer my email. The problem has been solved though as a member on mad modder (Joules) drew one up and I printed it last night and fitted it this morning so not only good to go but now can print a replacement whenever I need.
kvom ...I can make a metal/ aluminium gear by hand (scrollsaw) as I have made the odd one in deldrin for other weird repairs which when I think of it I could have tried if I had some deldrin left ....time to order a little more  ;D
Thanks to you all for the support  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:32:34 AM by Pete49 »
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »
Glad it's all sorted. What material did you print it in?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »
Dremel was purchased recent;y by Robert Bosch, explaining why they now offer dozens of snooty accessories and models, big Kiosks in the big box stores, but no parts for the older, good ones.

My original still running fine Variable Speed #380 Moto-Tool is 1977 vintage. I love it and use it all the time. When I called them for a set of brushes a few years ago, a young woman said, "What model?, never heard of it, we don't have anything like that." I turned the brushes end for end.

My next one, a spare, is more recent and the bearings are rattling. Oh well.
Mosey

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:40:45 PM »
Mosey, my experience with Dremel has been the same as you. Luckily, over the last couple of years, I have picked up three, nearly new, 380's at yard sales. Total cost for all three ... $11.00 cdn. I prefer to use them over the Foredom for some jobs.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »
Unless it's a different model the bearings are both easy to replace and not that difficult/expensive to buy. I don't remember them being particularly unusual sizes.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 02:37:15 AM »
I printed the replacement gear in ABS. Joules is now re-drawing it as his was a bit tight but I think its because he uses PLA and as ABS tends to shrink a little mine fit perfectly. An example to this is when I printed the case for my Raspberry Pi 2B I needed to print at 102% as the drawing was for PLA and the board was a little too tight to slide in...at 102% fit was perfect.
Mosey thanks for that little bit of information, it explains it all. Apparently the gear is the same but the shaft appears different on all the models as I had to make a new one to fit this gear. My gear was a threaded shaft with a nut in the gear where as Joules version was pressed on to a shaft with 2 flats for the gear. I'll add the pic of the new gear fitted in place.
Pete
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:20:17 AM by Pete49 »
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal