Author Topic: Soldering and gluing fixture  (Read 4220 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Soldering and gluing fixture
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »
I built this device some time ago to help me butt-solder two pieces together.

The two little vises are as identical as I could make them. The bodies and jaws were machined as single pieces and then cut apart to make the two units. The vises slide along a 3/8" square rod and can be locked in any position. The cylindrical post fits my Panavise base. It's removable so the square rod can be clamped in the workbench vise.

As shown, this little jig has been a remarkably useful tool. Soldering, gluing and sawing are only a few of the things it's been used for. But it really came into its own when I added a second chunk of square rod perpendicular to the original

using a half-lap joint to ensure that the two vises remained aligned. Accurate orthogonal solder joints are a pleasure now.

I made the vises from aluminum which, in retrospect, was not the best choice for soldering since it wicks the heat away from the joint. Steel would have been a better choice but my concern was to not mar the part surfaces.

I've considered adding a third rod perpendicular to the existing two to allow for three dimensional assemblies but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Troutsqueezer

Re: Soldering and gluing fixture
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »
Beats the heck out of that doo-hickey (technical term) that I use which has an alligator clip on each end.

Bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:30:47 AM »
I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts on here Marv, there are just too many of them at this time.

But I have definitely noticed how you are posting all your great little 'wotzits', for getting those awkward jobs done.

Many thanks indeed for your extra efforts. :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

When I get the time, I will be doing the same thing.

These little items are timeless, and help everyone in the long run.

John

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
Many thanks indeed for your extra efforts. :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Seconded! 

Great stuff Marv

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal