Author Topic: Pultra Lathes  (Read 7672 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Pultra Lathes
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:57:34 AM »
I have just been very lucky to acquire two Pultra instrument lathes that belonged to a deceased member of our local model engineering society.
The one on the cabinet is a Pultra 1750 (50mm centre height) with a lot of accessories, the other is a 1770 capstan lathe (70mm centre height).

These will replace my earlier model P Pultra which I have only just recently finished restoring.

I was only going to try and get the capstan lathe to start with, the idea being to set it up for making studs ( I have lots to make for "Agnes" and "Bradford" )
But having given it some thought, I decided to splash out and buy the whole lot. These cabinet stands are quite rare to find these days, so I dont think another one would have come my way any time soon.

I am now on the hunt for some tooling for the capstan, ideally on 1/2" shanks, but maybe some 5/8" ones could be made to fit.

Phil

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Pultra Lathes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »
Nice little haul  :mischief:

I suspect you will be making the capstan tooling  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Downriver tool has a wide assortment of plans for turret tooling....the documentation is outstanding, along with set up instructions.
I'm in the same boat with my turret for Samantha...

The plans are worth the money.

http://downrivertools.com/

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
ME did a series of articles back during WWII to enable model engineers to make their own capstan attachment and tooling for their home lathes to enable them to help out with the war effort  ;)

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
YUP I got that article......but the downriver prints are REALLY nice....good stuff.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »
I have just been very lucky to acquire two Pultra instrument lathes that belonged to a deceased member of our local model engineering society.
The one on the cabinet is a Pultra 1750 (50mm centre height) with a lot of accessories, the other is a 1770 capstan lathe (70mm centre height).

These will replace my earlier model P Pultra which I have only just recently finished restoring.

I was only going to try and get the capstan lathe to start with, the idea being to set it up for making studs ( I have lots to make for "Agnes" and "Bradford" )
But having given it some thought, I decided to splash out and buy the whole lot. These cabinet stands are quite rare to find these days, so I dont think another one would have come my way any time soon.

I am now on the hunt for some tooling for the capstan, ideally on 1/2" shanks, but maybe some 5/8" ones could be made to fit.

Phil

Looks like you have the headstock dividing attachment too!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Not that I am going to but...........

If I sold the Dividing attachment along with the vertical slide and milling/grinding spindle, it would recoup what the whole lot cost me.
The prices that this stuff fetches once dealers get hold of them is frightening.

Phil

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »
That sounds like a way of saying I only paid for these what a Yorkshire man would be willing to pay  :lolb:

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal