Author Topic: Carriage Stop for Myford Super 7B  (Read 8256 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Carriage Stop for Myford Super 7B
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:55 PM »
Hi

I have had my Super 7B since 1982 and have always wanted a carriage stop.  I use the handwheel all the time with the leadscrew engaged and works OK, but a stop would be faster.   I thought I saw one a number of years ago on a thread.  Before I go off designing something I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.  Once I have it done I will post PDF drawings, but for now I am looking for ideas.

Right now I think it will be attached to the carriage.  There is a threaded hole in the front of the carriage.  Maybe the answer will be just use the handwheel as I have for the last 32 years!

My other thought was to put a Trav-a-Dial on it, I have one that I could use.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bob

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Carriage Stop for Myford Super 7B
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:46:58 PM »
Hi Bob, I really am not sure what your looking for. The one I have is the Hemingway Multi position Saddle stop. In comes in a kit from Hemingway. Hope this helps http://www.hemingwaykits.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=multi+position+saddle+stop&PR=-1&TB=A
I also made a carriage stop from brass to attach to the lathe bed, it just limits the carriage travel. You can install it in front or in the rear of the carriage. http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=860.0

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:53 PM »
Bob, I made this simple stop many years ago - it's bolted using two of the head stock locking bolt holes plus a third drilled and tapped in situ. The two outer clamp bolts set the block to just allow the 1/2" dia silver steel bar to slide the lever providing the clamping force. The saddle was drilled to take a small stop 'button' that was heat treated. There's a secondary, longer stop bar for working further from the chuck. If yours has the gearbox you may have to lower or raise it some to clear

It's in constant use (along with a set of slips) and I'd be truly lost without it.

Hope that's of help - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:19 PM »
A simple one is shown at Harold Halls site
http://www.homews.co.uk/page152.html

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 02:32:45 AM »
Thanks for the information,  this will take some thinking  I would like something as simple as Ramon's as it is independant of carriage location relaive to the bed.  With the quick change on the lathe it will reqire some "model engineering".

Bob

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
You could always make one of these, plans are available in back issues of HSM, or in a book by "TEE Publishing, Projects for your Workshop Vol 1", by yours truly. Despite it being home made it is very accurate, if you do not fancy making one then they are available commercially, (but I hasten to add I have no commercial interest in this source).

My best regards
Gray,

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:20 AM »
A book, I will happily add, well worth having.

Hugh.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
Bob, this is another way:

I use it as either a Dial Indicator holder, or with a bit of rod installed, a stop on either side of the carriage:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
Arnold - sometimes it really is a fact that the simplest of things are the best  :ThumbsUp: That is just so what I need, particularly for the back side of the saddle - definitely one of those 'why didn't I think of that' moments  ::)

Making one is now a priority  :D - Thanks indeed.

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 06:40:18 PM »
Thanks Ramon.

It does have a drawback for working close to the chuck though - then it can't be used as a stop or easily gets in the way.  There your stop has much better utility, so I'll be blatantly cloning your solution as well  :Lol:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal