Author Topic: Geomagic sample files?  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Geomagic sample files?
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
 I've just downloaded "Geomagic Design 2014" to a new (used) laptop I've picked up. I wanted to see what it's capabilities are. I was able to successfully import a .stp assembly of something I created in "Pro-Engineer Wildfire" & was pretty happy how well it came in.

Can someone maybe please send me a small assembly file of a design you've created in Geomagic? I'd like to get a better idea of how the history tree works & get a better feel of it, Sending a assembly drawing with BOM would also be a bonus.  ^-^

John

Offline kvom

Re: Geomagic sample files?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
I have a small assembly file I created in Cubify Design 2014, which might well be the same.  I can send it if you supply your email addr.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
Actually, looks as if I can attach it here

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Here is a small assembly created in solidworks and saved as an .step file.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
To be able to exchange an assembly file you need to include all the part files as well.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
Thank you KVOM & Brian for sharing the files!

Jo: KVOM PM'd me the missing part files & I was able to open the assembly file.

I was able to open both KVOM & Brians files with no problem. I was surprised I didn't have import errors bringing step files in, Pro-Engineer seems to give me fits sometimes when I do this. I played with the program a little last night drawing up a simple "V" block & created a quick little drawing of it to explore it's user interface. The commands are pretty straight forward & similar to other 3D CAD modeling programs I've seen. Not a bad little program, I'll have to play with it more, I'm curious about it's sheet metal capabilities & automated BOM's in assembly drawings so I'm going to dig a little deeper into it.

Thanks very much again!

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »
To be able to exchange an assembly file you need to include all the part files as well.

Jo
Jo--If you save an assembly as a .step or .x_t file, it will automatically save all of the part files as well.--At least Solidworks will. I don't know if other software does or not.---Brian

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:51 AM »
Have tried Cubify for a fourthnigth and feel that it was as easy to learn and capable as solidworks 2004 that was THE PROGRAM when I was teaching.
The price is nice so I want to buy a licence.
Does one license allow  installation on a portable that is not always web connected  and an old stationary that  never see the web again?
Once installed, can it run on a non web connected puter at all?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
I've been playing with Cubify Design for a couple of months and enjoy it.

You do not need to be connected to the web (except for the install and getting the license key).

I don't know whether you can install on two machines and I haven't looked to see if that's legal.
Be sure to read their license if you haven't already.

When you purchase it, you will get a receipt by email that contains the key you need to install.
That may mean you can install on two machines...but I suspect at a minimum they have to be the same type OS (i.e. both 32 bit or both 64 bit).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
My current "project" with Cubify is modeling a Van Brocklin steam water pump from plans drawn by Bill Shields.  These pumps have many steam and water passages that need to be drilled properly, and if you screw up once your $40 piece of bronze is toast.  Since 3D modeling here is subtractive, I can extrude the holes in the model as if drilling and thus form a plan for milling.

The plans include some cross section views, and Cubify allows me to cut and display the same cross sections, thus verifying that the drilled passages match.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
Hello Zee

Thank You for guidance.
Camputers became part of life rather late for me.

Kind regards

Niels

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal