Author Topic: UPT by Joe, not Jo  (Read 4198 times)

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
UPT by Joe, not Jo
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:05 AM »
Hi all

Santa told me to get myself some castings for a GHT UPT, so of course I listened.  Ordered them from Martin Model & Casting in the US
and received them well packed and in good order.

Since they were available, got both the standard arms and the long-reach 6" ones.

I've been nibbling away at them for a while, but was having some Photobucket issues which delayed posting any progress
until now.

I don't as yet have a face plate for my lathe, (and the long arms wouldn't fit even if I did) so I did the machining of these on
a Taig mill

clamped down on the table with some shims here and there to get one flat face

with one side cleaned up, the other side was trivial, once both sides were to dimension, set up a pair of vises to bring the tops and
bottoms to size (the drill attachment arm in this photo)

still with the two vise set up drilled for the cotters, and cleaned up the hole with an end mill

and then drilled and bored to size

did one end of all of the arms, and then installed a stub of the matching size on the fixture in the picture, installed the arm on the stub with the table locked at the correct distance for boring the other end.  This way, even if my dimension was off, the arms are all
equally wrong :Lol:

This is getting long, so will start another post.

Joe

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
Re: UPT by Joe, not Jo
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:42:51 AM »
Here's the rest of the story to date:

The arm castings as supplied did not have the clamping lugs as drawn by Thomas, and I have decided that I will add the indexing screw
to prevent radial motion when raising or lowering the arms, so had to do my best with the excess material available

The arms looked like this after boring:

made up a filing button from some o-1 steel, installed it using the stub from the milling fixture to centre it in the bore,
set up the arm in the 4-jaw in the lathe, and turned off the excess up to the button

brought it close to size on the little belt sander

and finished the clean up with files (note the dainty little file resting on the vise... best tool gloat to date, got two of those for free,
only had to make handles for them)

The base was a straightforward job of turning, then drill & bore to size

The pillar is simply a length of TGP stressproof, turned one end down  to fit the base casting, face the other end, and here's the family shot to date with the small arms

I'll post further progress as it occurs, but don't expect the kind of speed that Jo manages!

Cheers, Joe

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
That's looking good Joe, you've done the hardest parts  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
Well, finally back in the shop :pinkelephant: after working out of town for the summer again.

Mixed in with a few honeydo's am getting back to the UPT... when I stopped, I was at the point of needing to do the ball-handles,
so of course, need to make a ball turner

Found this photo on the web (and if anybody knows whose this is I will cheerfully acknowledge the maker)

and made a more or less copy thereof based on the contents of the come-in-handy pile of metal

That done made up the handles as per GHT, got some primer and top-coat on the castings, and made the first actual "attachment"
for the thing, the first of the tapping gadgets.

I've not put in much of the actual making this time around, Jo covered this very well in her thread... but if there are any
questions, ask away!

Cheers all, Joe

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
Joe, Looks good  :ThumbsUp:

:headscratch: I still have not made the pair of handles for my larger tapping chuck.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Looks great Joe!......Keep it going!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »
Jo and Dave:  Thanks.  I suspect that at least one of the handles will disappear, they are close enough together that
it will be annoying in use.   Time will tell.

Joe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:23:54 AM »
Joe some how I missed this built and just want to say that you have done a great job on it so far. Keep posting it.

Don

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »
Thanks, Don.

A minor delay while a bathroom gets painted  :shrug:, and then there will be some more progress.

Joe

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:26:13 AM »
Well, the bathroom's done, and SWMBO is off to Michigan to visit her Aunt, so shop time!

An assortment of straight-forward turning for various tool holders,

waiting for delivery of some steel balls to finish the one with the square opening as a stamp holder.

A bit more interesting, the mini table with assorted size through holes for use as one would use an arbour press

spotting for the hole assortment:

after drilling the various holes, back in the dividing head to tart up the rim:

The family shot

and all together:

Need to find somewhere to get the table case hardened, shouldn't be to difficult.  The bolt has a truly decorative bronze detail
where it fits into the table.  Absolutely by design, and nothing to do with over-boring the hole in the table. :LittleAngel:

Joe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 01:05:47 AM »
Absolutely unique Joe and you just reminded me I haven't completed my staking tool.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 06:04:53 AM »
 8)

Joe, a thought: Did you check the fit of your number stamps? I found mine were not square and not all the same size  >:( And ended up having to work on some of the stamps to get them to fit the guide  :(

Jo

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
Thanks Don.  Sorry about the reminder.  Not meaning to be a nag.  So.. Done Yet?

Jo:  Mine also are not exactly square.... but they all fit  :ThumbsUp:

Joe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal