Author Topic: Building a Model Gas Tank  (Read 9046 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Building a Model Gas Tank
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks Chuck!! I thought that probably the J.B. Weld would work okay for this application. Its really not a "strength" application as much as it is a "sealant" application. I finished everything off this afternoon, now I will let it all set for a couple of days and then try some fuel in it.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 06:30:44 PM »
Here is a short video with the new gas tank on the running engine. There is a link to Photobucket, also to Youtube.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxc_NZ_29yc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxc_NZ_29yc</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 07:27:41 PM »
Now I have to play detective. I'm really not sure if that annoying "clank clank" noise is from the long rocker arm or not. EDIT--I think perhaps its just the nature of the beast. That desk the engine is running on is hollow, and it amplifies all the sounds like a drum. Since I have everything out to run my engines, I have put away the Odds and Ends and am now running my Kerzel on the same desk, and its twice as noisy as it is when its running on my heavy work bench out in the main garage.--I'm not going to worry about it!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:21:51 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
I took another look at the engine trying to run down that clank clank noise--its making me crazy. I have just found out that when the roller bearing on the end of the long rocker arm is fully "up" on the tip of the cam, there is no slack in the system anywhere. It seems that the exhaust valve is open as far as it can go, and is actually "bottoming out" against the head of the intake valve.--Definitely not a happy thought. The only thing preventing major damage from being done is that the long thin rocker arm has some flex in it. I am going to adjust the shcs which bears against the head of the valve until I have a bit of clearance in the "exhaust valve open" position and see if that gets rid of my clank. I held the intake valve open with my finger and rotated the engine by hand, and I can actually feel the exhaust valve hit the head of the intake valve and force it up.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:08:18 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
Brian, I have a similar noise on my Plumbing Parts engine.  I finally figured out it happens as the cam follower rolls across the tip of cam lobe.  As it goes past the tip, the lateral deflection on the roller shifts 180 degrees.  Here's a picture.

This change causes a click as the follower assembly shifts position because of the change in lateral deflection.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
That's better. With the adjustment made t the rocker arm, the clank clank noise has pretty well disappeared.---Brian

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOnOTxVwZU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOnOTxVwZU</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Chuck--there are a lot of things on these little engines that "go bump' and not necessarily in the night!!! Sometimes it talks a bit of detective work to figure out what the heck is making the noise.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal