Author Topic: Where do you come from  (Read 4006 times)

Bogstandard

Where do you come from
« on: July 27, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »
I have mentioned this before, but there have been a lot of new members since.

Could everyone, unless it is against your religion or any other meaningful reason, please go into your profile and put down where you hail from.

This is NOT for data gathering, but to let other people assist yourselves.

If say you hail from the US, then it is no use someone from Australia giving you the address of his corner shop, for you to pick up a few screws.

The very easiest way, and this gets it displayed under your avatar, like mine shows, is to go into PROFILE, then select FORUM PROFILE, and under your avatar where it says PERSONAL TEXT, enter say your continent, a state, or even town, state, and continent would be great. Then you might even find members who live within driving distance from you, who may be able to help you personally. I know I have.

Many thanks

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
More info re John last announcement ref location
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:39:28 PM »
As we cannot reply to the announcement made by John about where on the big ball your shop is

may I add a pointer to this often on other forums people ask for electrical information but without their location giving advice is dangerous

eg here in the UK we use 22o vac with one leg grounded ( neutral ) and the live ( phase ) in domestic premises three  415vac between phases and 220vac any phase to neutral

but in the USA they centre tap the domestic supply to earth and have 110 vac hot wire to the centre tap and for heavy domestic appliances they use the two hot wire for 220 vac 60hz  not sure of the terminology used in the USA

but as we all live around the big ball different regulations apply and giving advise to someone who lives in a different part of the world could be dangerous

So gents please put up your location ( just the country if that what you prefer ) so we do not put some fog in the channel

Stuart

Time served sparks  from to long ago when I was 15 and did the full five years   later qualified as an Electrical engineer ( heavy power up to 11kv live working  )   (I do not do house bashing )
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Re: Where do you come from
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
I moved Stuart's post up here for better visibility.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal