Author Topic: SOTHERN  (Read 17269 times)

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
SOTHERN
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
As someone with possibly more projects on the go than what is good for me, I thought perhaps I'd better post one of them.
Especially as I've been neglecting Newnes to concentrate on this one.
Of all the types of steam engines, it's the marine engine that holds the most fascination for me.
I think it's the sheer variety of types as engineers tried to solve the problems of space, high centres of gravity, size to power ratio, economy etc..that appeals to me.
Sothern will be a compound diagonal paddle engine.
it's based on a drawing in 'Sotherns verbal notes And sketches for marine engineers' - hence the name!. I've always wanted to build this engine but the drawing in the book is quite small.
Fortunately, www.archive.org have digitalised it https://archive.org/stream/verbalnotessketc00sothrich#page/2/mode/2up and by clicking on the enlarge button I can get a better understanding of the drawing.
the other reason is that in the Liverpool maritime museum there is an exquisite model of this type of engine that I often go and .. well... drool over!
so at least I have a real 3D model to go and compere the diagrams too.
As for drawings, well, I just enlarged the diagram until the frame filled the window, held a sheet of paper over the screen and traced the outline.
I'm not one to let the lack of detailed drawings get in the way of hacking at metal!
And so to the hacking.
First up are the frames. the two outside frames I made from 5mm plate while the inner is from 6mm.
for me , with no milling machine, it's a case of hacksaw and file.

the webs are 2mm thick strips. they were arkward to hold in place so I tack-welded them, then soldered them and used my trusty proxxon to grind out the welds.
the real problem was to get the holes for the bearings , flat surface for the crosshead rails and feet all in line with each other.
to do this, I made a crude jig to hold each frame. I first drilled the holes , as best I could, for the main bearings in each frame, and a corresponding hole to take a peg in the plate. cheeks were drilled and soldered either side of the holes in the frames. then, on one frame, I tacked the plate for the guide rails in place, then fitted the frame onto the jig.
I then held a block against this and welded it to the jig plate. this way , if I slid another frame over the peg and clamped a plate against the block and tacked it to the frame, I stood a good chance of getting the crosshead plate in the same relative position on the other two frames.
I also set up a similar block for the feet. Although I used a long bar , tacked it to both legs, then after soldering, cut out the middle section.
here's the jig in use

after the three frames were done it was time to see how close they were to each other.
some of the webs aren't exactly square

and the legs aren't all the same distance apart - well I am a sort of 'near enough is good enough' muddling model engineer!

and I must have been quite careless in clamping the bar for the feet on one of the frames

BUT, the plates for the rails came out quit good. the middle one is slightly forward of the two outer ones but all three are at the same angle which I think is probably more critical than a wonky foot, which I corrected by buiding up with weld and filing down.

with a 15mm bar through the bearing holes, there was very little fettling of the feet to get all three frames sitting flat with no rocking of any one of them.
thanks for looking

peter

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: SOTHERN
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
That's some pretty deluxe fabrication work there. Nice!
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »
Another keeper thread.

That's a fascinating engine.
Well worth :popcornsmall:

(Thanks Jo for the emoticon. I suspect it will get well used.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:36 AM »
That's some very nice looking frames Peter. Totally agree with Steve - that's some nice fabrication work there!  :ThumbsUp:

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »
Nice piece of fabrication Peter  :ThumbsUp: I have a few very interesting fabrications to make in my future  :embarassed:

It will be interesting to watch this one develop  :popcorn:

Jo
- - -
Zee: Pleased you found it, as with all good things we now have two to choose from  ;)

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
That's some very clever fabrication work  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
before I start on the main bearings , I thought I'd better make sure I could make the crosshead & rails. I didn't want to fabricate the rails, as they are not painted, and I didn't want any solder showing.
so it was another case of hacksaw and file.
when I have to file a few components all the same size, I prefer to make a fixture to hold them and use guide rails to file down to. it saves all that tedious bending down checking if your close to the line etc.
you can see from the photo that the bar is left over length and holes are drilled in the end to allow it to be bolted to a sub plate held in the vice.
in front of it is the filing guide. it's set so that when I get down to it, it will leave me about .010" to go. (I'm sketching this up in metric but I can't get out of the habit of referring to small cuts/ clearances in imperial!)
it's then I start using the mike and holding the part the conventional way in the vice

I got all the faces within a couple of thou' of the nominal size and it's then it kinda' went pear-shaped
I need to turn the round portion, so I need to centre the ends.
I marked them up, centre popped them and then centre drilled the ends. Made a square carrier for them and started to turn them between centres.

but I think a combination of sloppy marking out and a drill with a lot of play in the spindle meant the centre holes were out.
It was this job that inspired me to splash the dosh on a bigger better drill
It looks like that the square parts are out, but they're not . it's the round bits that aren't on the same axis as the ends and square body.
I'll have to take a close up to show you what I mean. But there's no way I'm going thru' all that filing again. I shall just have to learn to luv em!
The ends were then hacksawed off and filed flat. A simple plate square was made to check that everything remained in line , but I'm sure I'll have more fettling to do on assembly.

here's a finished bar next to a part filed one

thanks for looking

peter

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
As others have already noted Peter, some very nice fabrication work on what should be a wonderful model marine engine. I too will look forward to seeing your progress on this one!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
As ever Peter your ingenuity and indeed, 'enginuity' never fails to impress. Your ability to produce such parts with minimal kit is always inspirational to me. Nice fabrication on those frames  :ThumbsUp:

Looking forward to more  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:41:23 PM »
I really enjoy watching fabrication work being done. Thanks Peter. SOOO! much work but it does build character and makes one truly appreciate the machines we have, well, most of them that is  :Lol:  Keep up the spirit and please, don't stop with the pictures  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

BC1
Jim

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
I'll join the chorus of appreciation for this fundamental fabrication work.

I also share your fascination for marine steam engines, Peter.

--Tim

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 06:59:07 PM »
Thank you all for the kind comments. Jim , I don't know about character building , but when things went wrong with turning the round parts of the rail it sure was, shall we say, vocabulary building!
here's what i mean, although I think the camera was focused on the plugs in the background

whether I remake it or not I shall leave for the future.

the crosshead was next
again it was filed from bar, much like the rails, but at least they are a lot shorter, plus there's only two of them.
you can also see I've eased the corners to reduce all those interrupted cuts when I turn the little end journals.

I made another carrier (or is it called a lathe dog?) to help in turning the journals

the slots in the end where milled by clamping the crosshead to the cross slide with suitable packing.
I find it more rigid than using a vertical slide , but I still need to use small cutters - a full width cutter would cause too much chatter, plus I can sneak up on the width by adding more packing under the crosshead. sorry I forgot to take photos of this , but I did remember  to photo when cutting the detail grooves.

I had to make sure the packing was right first time for these - the cutter being only 3mm dia.
once the centre ones where all cut , it was straight forward to adjust the packing to cut the two outer grooves on each face.
For the slipper bearing that fits in the cross head - i felt this would be easier to make as a fabrication as the sides are quite thin, only 3mm
so I filed some 3mm brass to size and clamped 3 pieces round some 10mm square bar and soldered them together.
I simply filed away the corners of the bar to stop soldering everything together.
here you can see how I milled the grooves in the sides. A square bar is clamped to the cross slide and the slipper is clamped to this with some packing underneath to allow a slot to be cut approximately in the middle of the face. the lip is measured and the packing filed down to give the correct lip on the top edge. it's then a simple matter of flipping it over to do the other edge. I also tend to leave faces a couple of thou over size so I can tickle them with a file for final fitting

and here is the crosshead nestling between two rails

I think I have got the worst of the fabrication over, and I'm generally pleased with the parts, so I will persevere with this engine

thanks for looking

peter

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
Smashing Peter. Many thanks.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
Time for the main bearings. they are split, but because they're not symmetrical - the top part is squarish, the bottom, half round - rather than follow the usual method of soldering two parts together , boring out and then heating up to split , I decided to make each half as a full bearing then hacksaw and file to give me the half bearing.
the half round was straight forward. Drilled and reamed in the drill some scrap bronze, then mounted it on one of Ramon's split mandrels

and turned it round

When you cut it in half , how to measure that you've got exactly half  bearing?
quite straightforward, mike it on a piece of flat bar of known thickness. and if you've got one of them all singing and dancing digital mikes, you don't even have to do any maths

the square part was done in a similar fashion, and I finally found a use for that ball anvil that fits on the mike.
measure the ball, make a note of the size, zero mike and measure the bearing thickness

zero reading and then close the mike to give a minus reading of the ball, then zero this.
then you can measure half the bore . I'm much happier sneaking up on some sizes with a file than milling on the lathe.

in truth I intend to take it down to just below 6mm, then lap it in using timesaver lapping powder.
the locating grooves saw a brief outing of the vertical slide - I much prefer milling on the cross slide. much more rigid

the gap in the bearing was hacksawed and filed

next I drilled/tapped the holes in the frame. awkward to mark out and hold .  :zap:

the first set didn't go that well, so I wised up and made some simple drilling plates

then it was a case of assembling and checking if a 12mm ground bar would be horizontal. I can get a 0.015" feeler between pointer and bar on one end when  it just touches the other end, so some fettling and possibly shimming to do , before i fit and check the guide bars.

thanks for looking

peter

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
Its already got lots of character  :Love:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal