Author Topic: NAMES Show  (Read 21465 times)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: NAMES Show
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
I can't seem to quote Simons link, but I do wonder if many people turn up expecting something different.

Hugh.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
Hi Stew,
I would like to write an article for you but there's a catch. As most fellows know Saturday is usually packed with people and being an exhibitor doesn't leave much time for picture taking so if I can get some good pictures along with the ones Steve Huck's wife usually takes I will compose something for you. If someone else volunteers between now and then don't hesitate to accept their offer.
gbritnell

I'll make sure the battery is fully charged and we can get some good pictures Fri and Sat. I can get them on CD and get them to you Sunday so you can take them home with you.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »
Don't forget ME pay's for articles and even if you don't want the fee.. I know one author who donates his to a worthwhile charity ;) .

Jo

I did an article years ago and the editor knows a charity. I guess they use the donations to by materials to repair wheel chairs and other devices. The pieces are made in a machine shop by volunteers. I had him send me 3 copies of the magazine and the rest went to the charity. Hope it helped.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »
Simon, you may laugh, but don't knock a thing until you've tried it! They even have seminars...  :)

I would love to go, Tim, but it'a a long haul from CA.

Simon

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »
It's time for my annual chortle at the name of the web site http://www.namesexposition.com/  :ROFL:

Simon

OK never noticed . Hmm the value of spaces and punctuation.

Chuckle.

Proofreading is a virtue.  It can catch typos, grammar gaffes, and even those look-how-dumb-I-made-myself-appear moments.

So true . Probably looked total innocent to the person applying for the domain.

Reminds me of the gal in Colorado years ago she made national news. She was apparently a fan of the Japanese food tofu .She applied for a vanity plate to tell the world of her love for tofu. The state denied her request. as it was considered offensive. the plate would have been ILUVTOFU.
tin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:37:13 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline jeff l

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 02:54:24 AM »
Ill be there I'm not bringing any models though just looking , after the show I plan to visit The Henry Ford .Jeff

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 08:26:10 AM »
Would any of you Guys be interested in writing a short article with lots of pictures of this years show for the Model Engineer Magazine if so just drop me a PM.

Stew

Hi Stew,
I would like to write an article for you but there's a catch. As most fellows know Saturday is usually packed with people and being an exhibitor doesn't leave much time for picture taking so if I can get some good pictures along with the ones Steve Huck's wife usually takes I will compose something for you. If someone else volunteers between now and then don't hesitate to accept their offer.
gbritnell

It would be great if you could do something, the magazine features most of the main UK exhibitions and the odd main land European  exhibition, so a US exhibition would be of great interesting, it would also be a good way of advertising the exhibition for future years.

It makes life easier if you take a picture of the engines label first then the engine as the label will usually have all the detail that is required:- builders name, description of engine etc.

All the article will require is:- A brief introduction covering the history of the exhibition location what its about:- competitions talks etc. followed by a list of photographs Jpeg numbers and a brief description of what it shows, all can be sent over the net to the editor:- Diane Carney <Diane.Carney@mytimemedia.com>;

I can forward the magazines terms and conditions, it pays by the pages published, good for shop funds, or you can donate to a charity if so whished.

Cheers

Stew

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 02:48:45 PM »
I would love to go, Tim, but it'a a long haul from CA.

Simon

Unfortunately Simon The Men metals and machines show was not successful enough to continue.

IIRc they did it for two maybe three years. It was in Visalia, CA circa 2004.

That would have been a shorter drive but in soca traffic maybe days LOL.
Tin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »
There is a show in the Bay Area; it is usually in conjunction with one of the big car shows. You might check the BAME web site or Model Engine Builder magazine.

Dave

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
There is a show in the Bay Area; it is usually in conjunction with one of the big car shows. You might check the BAME web site or Model Engine Builder magazine.

The club is BAEM, not "BAME".  The Bay Area Engine Modelers URL is...

http://www.baemclub.com/
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
Thanks Marv

I was thinking it was Bay Area Model Engineers; I should have looked it up.

Dave

Offline ChooChooMike

• Los Angeles, CA (Left Coast !)
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
I'm planning on going this year.  Went 8 years ago when it was in Wyndotte, not Detroit. Didn't realize how far it is to drive from Chicago now, over 300 miles. Going to Chicago for some family b-days, so figured I do NAMES too :)

See if I feel like driving that far just for Sat. Hmmmmm  :D

Mike

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
Didn't realize how far it is to drive from Chicago now, over 300 miles. Going to Chicago for some family b-days, so figured I do NAMES too :)

See if I feel like driving that far just for Sat. Hmmmmm  :D

10 hours, 5 each way, of driving is quite a bit, but I've done it more than once. I'm still deciding if I'm going this year. We were just in Detroit this weekend. I hope it doesn't cost me another windshield.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »
it is in Wyndotte,  Yak arena, not Detroit. Same place it was the first few years.

For me its just slightly over 1,000 miles, I have made it in about 15 hours, but this time I am going to split it into two days- hopefully stop somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo NY. Last year I went directly form York, PA to Detroit, spent a day at the Henry Ford Museum.  looking for someplace interesting to stop this time, but no ideas yet.

Offline airmodel

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »
   smfr/simon

If you think it is too far to travel from CA to NAMES, I have been three times, twice to Toledo and once to Wyndotte and I flew from Australia.

Bill.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal