Author Topic: Poker burner  (Read 3934 times)

Offline GordonL

Poker burner
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
I am starting to think that I am just stupid. I have been building a Cracker Locomotive which is supposed to be simple but I just cannot get a burner to work. I have tried the one shown on the Glaser plans and cannot get it to work. I have looked at threads about others building a poker burner and have tried to build the same thing. The burner flue is 1/2" copper tube which is about 5/8" OD. The burner tube is 1/4" OD copper. I have tried burner tubes 1 1/2" long and 3" long. I have cut slots and tried burner holes from 1/16 dia to 3/16 dia. I have tried 2 holes to 10 holes. I have tried air inlet holes at the nozzle from 1/16 dia to 3/16" dia. I have tried putting stainless screen around the burner. I can get a relatively blue flame outside of the flue but as soon as I insert it into the flue I just get yellow flame out of the end with no burning at the burner tube. I am sure that I am missing something but I am running out of things to try.
I also just noticed that the butane tank I have built does not seem to hold much butane. It is 5/8 OD x 1 1/2" long with a Ronson fill valve. It only seems to burn less than a minute before it runs out of butane. I am not sure if that is another problem or part of the burner problem.

Gordon

fcheslop

Re: Poker burner
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:28:04 PM »
Hi Gordon, the gas tank is a little small but from experience the short run time tends to be the gas valve opened too much and burning harder than needed
The poker burner goes into the flue with the slots pointing down to allow the flame to wrap round the burner
Tony Bird developed a very good burner I have a set of Tonys drawings or you can contact him on the other channel hmem
This burner ran straight from the plans no problems although I have tweaked it a little.
K&S brass tubing is ideal for these rather small burners and the slot width should be no thicker than the gauge of the tube Iv found from past experience.
I think a few members have built Cracker on this site so may have other ideas
cheers
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:36:09 PM by fcheslop »

Offline GordonL

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
I have looked at his build thread on the other site and have tried to do what he did but I obviously have done something different. I will contact him and see if he has drawings and/or words of wisdom

fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
Have you drilled the small air hole in the bush that fits into the flue
Probably have  :ThumbsUp:
you have a p.m

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
I did 3 little Cracker locos, on each, the burner was simply scrounged from the smaller type of pocket butane torch. Very easy to fit in the burner tube with an intermediate tube, with 4 holes for air, and works a treat. On some torch models you can also save the butane filling valve.
the locos have been sold last year,  but i still have pictures in my picasa album...
In fact, I have failed to make a working burner according to the Cracker drawings...But that was before I read the thread by Tony Bird on those little burner, quoted above.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal