Author Topic: "Bradford" A Uniflow engine based on a Cole Marchent & Morley  (Read 4279 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
This 1/16 scale Uniflow engine was originally started by Arnold Throp in the mid 1940’s, during thelate 1920's Arnold worked for Cole Marchent & Morley in Bradford West Yorkshire which is just down the valley from where I live.
He worked on this model between other projects and in the mid 1980’s was about to start a build series in Model Engineer magazine, Peter Southworth who was his good friend was going to get the castings done and market it for Arnold.
Between them they were latterly working on the design and testing of a generator for the model to drive, this seemed to take priority over the engine being finished during late 1986/7.
Unfortunately Arnold died before it got finished, and Peter inherited it from him. Bob potter in turn inherited it from Peter, and I have just acquired it from Bob with a view to finishing it once Agnes is done. I also have all of Arnolds wood patterns and original drawings and Peters Aluminium patterns and a folder full of documentation about it and the generator.

Here is the stack of boxes I brought home from Harrogate yesterday, the one on top is the McOnie engine which also came from Bob, but all the rest are the Uniflow.

Main bedplate pattern

And coreboxes for bedplate

Lots of wood patterns

And more coreboxes

Plenty of Aluminium patterns.

It's going to take a while to work out exactly what I have here, there are lots of parts some are part machined and there is even another bedplate from an earlier version in gunmetal.

Governor parts

The con rod is a work of art.

Two flywheels, the option is for two flywheels side by side or one flywheel and a generator.

Did I mention generators.

And finally the main part of the engine complete with cylinder and heads.

This is a full size engine of a similar type.

There is one other like this one being built in the UK at the moment, Peter Southworth "reluctantly" supplied just one set of castings to a model engineer in the Midlands who had already built one of the Southworth Corliss engines and wanted to try something different, I am in touch with him but I would love to hear from anyone else who has built one of these Uniflow type engines.

Phil
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:07:34 PM by pgp001 »

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
Re: "Bradford" A Uniflow engine based on a Cole Marchent & Morley
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:09:12 AM »
 :o That's quite a project you've acquired, Phil!

Simon

Offline DavidF

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:15:28 AM »
I am at a loss for words. Im seeing a lifetime of effort, thought, and love in what was handed to you. I hope you will show the same commitment, it deserves to be finished and displayed.

Edit: just reviewed you previous work...its in good hands...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:19:01 AM by DavidF »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
I'm at a loss for words as well...the art in the patterns, the sheer quantity of them,...and you're spot on with the conrod. They've found a good home, I'm looking forward to developments.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
Coming from a guy who's made 3 patterns for my launch engine....I'm a bit gobsmacked by this one.   That was a lot of work!.....and ditto about the lot being in good hands!....I'll be watching! :popcorn:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
Nice to finally see the full set of bits and pieces for this engine :). As I mentioned previously I gave up trying to get Bob P to provide me with a set of drawings/castings for this engine. I suspect the parts were slowly emerging as Bob was sorting out what he had acquired from Peter.

But  :stickpoke: you need to finish Agnes before you start any more long term projects.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:31:02 PM »
Hi Phil, that is more than impressive. But, as Jo already mentioned, would be great to the see Agnes running first.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 08:06:47 PM »
Dont worry "Bradford" will be going back to sleep for a while, I have found him a nice warm place under the bench with a few other friends. "Agnes" will definitely be taking priority over anything else.

Phil

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Nice to finally see the full set of bits and pieces for this engine :). As I mentioned previously I gave up trying to get Bob P to provide me with a set of drawings/castings for this engine. I suspect the parts were slowly emerging as Bob was sorting out what he had acquired from Peter.

But  :stickpoke: you need to finish Agnes before you start any more long term projects.

Jo

Jo

Agnes will be taking up all my time before I start any work on "Bradford", it will take a while to go through all the parts and marry them up to the drawings. I am intending to convert it to Solidworks 3D before I carry out any further work as well.

I am a little surprised at your comments about Bob P, the transaction could not have been easier and there was no pressure either way to do a deal for the Uniflow.
Bob called to see me one day to have a look at my workshop, he brought a couple of engines with him just to let me have a look at out of interest, when he told me that he would probably never get round to finishing the Uniflow himself, I said I might be interested in buying it if it ever came up for sale.
A couple of days later he phoned to say I could have it for a very agreeable price.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal