Author Topic: sidetracked - using a 3d printer with a laser  (Read 9005 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: sidetracked - using a 3d printer with a laser
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »
Glad to see you like Cubify Design.  I like it better than any other CAD program I've tried.

When I was doing a lot of 3D printing, I had the best luck (with PLA) running the print head at 230 degrees centigrade, which was recommended by the Makerbot folks.  I also kept the layer thickness at about .25mm.  Just my experience.

The other thing I need to do is print a lead-in strip to get the plastic flow started.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
I had the best luck (with PLA) running the print head at 230 degrees centigrade,

230C  :o

I've been running 200 or 205. Even at that the filament apparently melded to to the upper plastic housing that the extruder attaches to. That is, it's not so much that the extruder is clogged as I apparently retracted the hot filament into the housing above the extruder and it attached itself to it.

Will have to drill it out. Gosh I'm glad I have a shop.  ;D

Yeah the Cubify Design is fun. But it (like any CAD program) really shows the skills one has to have to even have a chance.
My drafting class in high school has turned out to be invaluable. (Even the typing class...it should be a required class now what with computers.) But if you don't have a bend towards seeing things in 3D...you're sunk. Not everyone does. Nor do I believe that anyone/everyone can. For the same reasons I don't have an ear for creating music (as much as I love it) or an eye for art (as much as I enjoy it). Nor do I think it's any kind of negative for those who can't. So many of those who don't have these skills (and cannot) have skills I cannot hope to achieve. Thank goodness too.

But who knows. I've always wanted to take banjo lessons.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
Zee, certainly don't think to yourself you don't have the "skill" to accomplish any of that. Persistence pays off. I taught myself 3D cad by buying books & having the desire to want to learn it. Just like many folks here who have never gotten into machining & jump off into the "deep end".

Another hobby of mine is guitar, played years ago, gave it up because I was frustrated. Bought another one a couple of years ago, relearning it all. But...I sound better now than I did years ago because I'm sticking with it time around.

Soooo.... buy (or build :)) that banjo..get lessons.

Whatever the outcome of your machine or project, be it 3D printer, laser, or other, just keep at it, I'll be watching. (as many others will be.)

John

Offline DavidF

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 04:28:47 AM »
Zee, you have to let me know when your ready to burn up some prints and try some lost pla casting....

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Thanks John.
Actually...I did try playing banjo many years ago. I gave it up but it wasn't a loss. It inspired a kid (who later became my brother-in-law) to get into guitar and he later started a music business.

David...interesting. I was just talking to a fellow at work about all the bits of pla swarf and wall of learning parts we're making.
Tell me more about how you made those interesting castings.
"To work. To work."

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
David,
I am also looking forward to reading about lost pla casting. I have the casting bit worked out just need access to a 3D printer.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline DavidF

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
its done the same way as lost wax casting but instead of wax your burning out the plastic printed part.

Offline DavidF

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:53 PM »
here is the bits sprued up on a tree...
Dan once I get my printer a little more in tune (so close now) Im going to print and cast the gears for your shay. I got the pinion to print pretty well now but having some trouble with all the support material on them making it look like boogers...

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »
This thread is becoming REALLY interesting  :LittleAngel:

Jim

Offline DavidF

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
gears...

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
David,
All I can see is a tiny icon  :shrug: no photo.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »
Now I see it.

David the resolution on that gear is much better than I expected nice work.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
David...you may have mentioned it before...but what printer are you using?

Those gears look pretty awesome!
"To work. To work."

Offline DavidF

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
I'm using a rostock max with an E3D hotend, .4mm nozzle and .1 mm layer height.
  The gear is about the limit, if not a little past the capability of the printer with the .4 nozzle.
I need to fit dual nozzles so I can print a separate material for the support material. It's really difficult to remove it from parts like these...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
David...sent you a PM.

Finally 'finished' the CAD of Elmer's VR75. The color choices are lousy but it works pretty good.
As I mentioned before, the dimensions for the eccentric straps don't allow for the washer that sits between them. I modified the little end of the straps to account for it.
Also found that the dimension for placing the reverse lever pivot was off and took care of that.
I still have one interference between the eccentric and the bearing closest to the cylinder. There's a couple of ways to take care of it. I could move the bearing back a little...or thicken the steam chest area.
So my lesson on this was that it's worthwhile to draw up in CAD a set of drawings. I've seen too many threads where drawings had errors and this helped identify some in this set of plans.
It was a lot of fun. This software did everything I had hoped for and will be handy for a number of things.

Here's the video...

As for the printer...I got some hose clamps and tightened up the Z axis bearings. Much better.
I also shimmed the bearings for the extruder and that feels a lot better too.
Had some fun cleaning out the plastic from the extruder...hopefully this weekend I'll see if I can produce a better print.

I'm going to build that VR75. I just don't know when I can get started.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal