Author Topic: A UK MEM Display Day?  (Read 43506 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: A UK MEM Display Day?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
I was hoping to pick up some 32 and 50mm steel bar at the show, can I give that a go :LittleDevil:

Board is looking good but not sure about your picture framing abilities :mischief:

Hope to make the display stand for one of my exhibits this weekend and put the finishing touches to another engine so should all be ready for the show.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »
Jason :stickpoke: , Its wood What do you expect?  I am out of practise and whenever I get near it :paranoia: You know need someone to teach me how to handle it in the appropriate way :embarassed:

:hellno: No looking in my car on Saturday I plan to have 10 pieces of 2" diameter 5" long for something  highly :Love:

-  -  -  -
A thought Simon, if you can't think of anything better: you could always demonstrate to your stud skills :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks Simon, I was going to bring along C1 ;D.

Were you thinking of bringing something along so you can try a Cowells :naughty: If so I will need to know which chucks to bring  ;)

Jo

It would be nice to have a play but I have no expertise in the stud making department so would need some pointers.  :P

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 07:36:49 AM »
I thought that a view of the GMES club grounds might be of interest to people who had not seen a british club before. We rent a corner of the council park by Stoke rounderbout. The bottom left green area has the top loops of the 7 1/4" and 5" running around it.  The building at the bottom is the club house the right hand section is the workshop, then the main club room.  Then there is the Station before the 16mm track and the steaming bays.

For the Rally there will be a big marquee in this first field on the right side where our MEM display stand will be situated as well as the Gas Turbine Builder Association, Internal Combustion Engine Group, Roy Darlington and of course the SMEE  :ThumbsUp:

The field at the top of the picture is where the traction engines  :Love: will be situated and most of the traders  ;) To play it safe I am planning to have a set of castings delivered directly to my car on Saturday, to be installed on the dining room table by the evening :mischief:

Jo

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »
Hi Guys - my sincere apologies for not keeping up with things - the last few weeks have been full of varying distractions and yes 'plastic' would be one of them   ;D - there's a show looming which I would like to finish a new project for. That said there's been a holiday in there for a few days away as well as catching up on various jobs and of course that never ending drain on modelling time - the garden.

Suddenly here we are and it's just over a week away  :o - however I do have new electrics to the outer 'workings' and finally a newly plumbed airline - that bead blaster is now up and running ::) and as you will see elsewhere I have just found time to get a bit more progress on the boiler.

Jo - Despite several attempts I have had no luck with getting the MEM logo embedded into a template for making neat little description cards. At this stage I'm going to have to say it's now a bit late in the day so we'll have to 'make do and mend'. I see you have been busy though, you've made a nice descriptive board there - have you been able to get any posters done too?

I was at a (plastic) model event on Sunday when suddenly this person I vaguely recognised but could not quite 'place' stood before me. It was my friend Chris - newly introduced on here he tells me as 'Model Steam' and the last person I expected to see at such an event. Turned out he had rung that morning to be told where I was so jumped in his car and came over to the show. Needless to say talk was of the coming event and we're both looking forward to a great weekend and meeting up with everyone who's coming.

Lets hope for some good weather - it's been raining like hell here today

Regards for now - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this...even though I can't be there.
Include some pics of members.
No knees please. It may depress me. Or excite me. Neither of which is a good thing.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »
No posters printed yet hopefully tomorrow. I have a rather nice descriptive board from Rod which I suspect is a bit bigger than his engine  :Jester:

Jo

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »

Jo - Despite several attempts I have had no luck with getting the MEM logo embedded into a template for making neat little description cards.

What size cards were you thinking of? - I'm sure I can cobble something together in Word

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:27 PM »
I wouldn't have gone bigger than A5.

And remember people might get bored reading too much.

Jo

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
I for one am pulling for you guys to have a great success and a wonderful time promoting our hobby and MEM.  If you should care, I've had a bit of experience of "luring the crowd" and I would suggest: give them something to nibble or drink while looking. I guess a good cold pint and a pork sandwich is out of the question, but, something as simple as some cold lemon water Or a  good bowl of hard candy will work, try to at least make some oral contact with the lookers that look more  than the complimentary look, and if all else fails, Jo, show 'em a little skin >:D. Hey, it works here in Dixie. Seriously guys I'm excited for you and us, have fun and :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »
Hi Rod

Thanks for the kind offer - yes I was thinking of an A5 sized template but could not get the logo to embed - in hindsight I guess I could have done it the 'practical' way and printed it out then scanned it but that didn't occur at the time  ::)

I see that that the exhibitors notes request an 'A5 sized card with up to 15 lines of text at 14 point font size'

Apart from not getting this done I still have to make a display board for the engines  ::) - probably start next Thursday ;)

Thanks again

Ramon

Zee - pics are on the cards but definitely no knees  ;)

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
and if all else fails, Jo, show 'em a little skin >:D.

Big E I would not dare that would frighten off at least one of our members  :LittleDevil:

Jo

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »
Jo, my grandpaw told me that the last rabbit outta the briar bush was the best one to take to the table >:D. A question: Does the show management provide any kind of table cards or signage that can be filled in with good old pen stroke for y'all?

Whiskey

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
Each entry will have a card with it from the Guildford club that contains any details that were given on the entry form, they do ask :

"Please enter as much detail as possible, type, scale, builder, year of completion, points of interest, and any awards won"

By the time you have these and MEM ones it may get a bit cluttered, the Guildford ones are the yellow and non members get the same on a white background. The different colours make it easier for the judges as only members are eligible for awards.

J
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:19:37 PM by Jasonb »

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
Thanks Jason, at CF Stan took care of us and the venue had cards for us to fill in

Whiskey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal