Author Topic: A UK MEM Display Day?  (Read 42961 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
A UK MEM Display Day?
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
Hi Guys,

Some of you may recall that sometime back Jo thought we UK based members could perhaps get together on an occasional basis but unfortunately there was insufficient uptake to make it worthwhile.

Musing on this I wondered if that was maybe just once a year and possibly at an event already being held that there might be sufficient interest to make something happen.  I suggested to Jo that perhaps we could put on a display at the Guildford show and asked her to see what the response would be from the powers that be.

Today I received a very positive email from event 'co-ordinator' Bryan Finch indicating that he can provide three to four 6ft by 28" tables (inside a marquee) one of which would be used by Jo should she wish to follow on from her demo of last year - Jo? If there's enough response I'm sure we could make that the four  ;)

So - here's an opportunity to get together to talk engines and display our wares to the public and help put MEM a bit more on the map.

The event takes place this year on July 5th and 6th. It would be nice if you can make both days but that's NOT a prerequisite - if you can only make one of them that's just fine but we do need to know what kind of input we could expect. Please, do be realistic - don't just think that sounds like a good idea and say you'll come then decide otherwise later. If you really would like to be part of it though just respond to this in the first instance so we can gauge the kind of response - we can decide on space requirements a little later.

I think it should be made clear that this is very much about MEM members - all of them, whatever their skills and level of expertise - if you are a member but feel a little reticent then don't be. A display of what we are about needs to include every level so don't be shy.

Personally I think this would be good if we can make this happen so I look forward to hearing from at least someone  - now, don't y'all rush at once  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

Re: A UK MEM Display Day?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
I'm interested in this - probably can't make both days but no reason why not one of the days.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
If I were there...I'd go.
Videos and pics are obviously a must.
I can suggest a model to attract attention and show off those engines.  :naughty:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »
I can be there on Sunday.
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:07 PM »
Good idea.  I'm available both days and can do some preparatory work as well.  I might even have a finished exhibit by then  8)

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
Tug, thanks for giving Bryan a  :stickpoke: I had discussed the idea of a MEM stand with him back at the Alley Palley show and he hasn't been responding since :wallbang:

I can fill two trestle tables with my models alone  :lolb: But I must be honest that trying to move so many models on your own is hard work :(

As for his comment on the next chapter of my machining demo  :rant: these things take time to plan, scrounge the parts and do the preparation machining. I had a nice little engine lined up  :naughty: but here we are three months from the show and I have been bitten by the  :Love: bug  :-\ (Not forgetting that C1 is likely to be sold by then ;D)

(Models are allowed to be exhibited for only one day  ;))

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Heffalump

• Oxfordshire, England
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
I'd like to go, I don't know if I'm free or not though.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »
Hi 'Guys' - I'm just about to leave for the funeral - but will come back to you later today. Thanks for the response so far - we certainly have the 'makings'

Back soon - Ramon

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
I have been bitten by the  :Love: bug  :-\

Jo

Didn't know Herbie had teeth.  :slap:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline LADmachining

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
I would be interested in helping out, possibly on both days (will have to check work calendar).

I could bring quite a few exhibits, some in a more 'completed' state than others.  I do have a few 'runners'! ;)

Anthony

Lots of projects, so little time!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
As I already have my invitation I'll likely bring a model or three.

Just for anyone thinking of traveling and exhibiting you will need to deliver the model(s) either Friday late afternoon or before the show opens between 8.00 to 9.00 am without checking. You also have to wait until the show has closed to the public before models can be removed this is around 5.30 onwards. So something to bear in mind if you have a long way to travel.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
Jason,

Last year was an exception as our Safety man had a stroke just as the show finished :o and we had to stay in the tent whilst the ambulance arrived and took him away.

Tony was very pleased his procedures worked as well as they did as they got him to hospital very fast  :ThumbsUp: and he was well enough to play choo choo trains :ShakeHead: the following weekend .

Jo

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
Hi Guy's - a long day but back to my comfort zone ;D

Thanks for the input Jason and Jo.

Okay then - lets assume this is now a goer. We have a (current) potential of eight including myself and a possible nine if Jim (Heff) can make it.

I know you have a table already Jason as has Eric O but I had already taken the liberty of assuming you would both put something on a MEM table too should there be one ;)

So that makes (in no specific order)

Jason
Jo
Eric O
Anthony
Rod
JGB
Simon
Ramon
Jim (possible)

Should anyone else offer to support it too then I'll update the list at each post.

At this stage I know we all have lots of models that could probably overwhelm the tables but I think the best thing now is for me to go back to Bryan confirming our intent and request the four tables. Once we have that confirmation we can work out space for each as necessary.

Jo, I know it's a bit late for much preparation on your part but do you intend to continue with your demo - and does that take a whole table or more?
Also can you enlighten me on ....? Surely not?
(Models are allowed to be exhibited for only one day  ;))

Bryan has requested I forward your email addresses so he can send you individual information packs. If you could all PM me over the weekend I'll do this collectively first thing Monday. Obviously this isn't necessary if you already have it - Jason, Jo, Eric,

Should anyone else decide to come along please do the same and I'll add you to the list.

Now, having talked this over with Jo in the first instance I'm assuming at this stage no one minds me taking the bull between the horns in the first instance. I'm quite happy to do so to get this off the ground to begin with - let's see what develops  from it :)

'Don't forget your PM's'

Regards - Ramon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
I would like suggestions for the pictures to make a new series of posters  ;) I stole from the forum last year :-[ And if anyone would like some posters of their own builds to be exhibited/to take home on A0 ;)

It would be really nice to have a few R&B's, in what ever state they are, I am sure mine will be running by then  :whoohoo: and a picture of all of them with the original designer (Bruce) would be  :Love: nice and I am sure (at his age  :-\) he would appreciate the pleasure we have had of his design  ;).

I wonder if we could exhibit Edgar Westbury's entire engine collection  :naughty:, very naughty to claim it for MEM but they are  :Love: :Love:

Jo

P.S. I think a picture of Zee in a fetching outfit would be the star of the show  :naughty:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »
Jo are these posters for a backdrop? Sounds great. According to Bryan we will be situated against a wall where these can be hung. Can we get one done of the Logo and name too?

Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal