Author Topic: foden stg5 timber tractor  (Read 10205 times)

Offline fodenman1

foden stg5 timber tractor
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »
Hello   I have been building Reeves Foden stg5 for 12 years    im having trouble with the Honda engine clutch   I would like to hear from any one who has built this model with the Honda engine   or any other engine for that matter     

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: foden stg5 timber tractor
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »
Fodenman1,
 I have moved your post here to the supporting section since the Showcase is normally used for finished projects.  Hopefully some one here on the forum will be able to address your specific question.  In the meantime, may I ask you to post an introduction in the Intro. section so that we may get to know you and your interests better. Welcome to the forum and best wishes on getting your issue resolved.

Bill

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
What exactly is the problem?

Which engine have you fitted?

Have you looked at the Honda engine web site, it is very good loads of information.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »
I did have a search of the Traction Talk forum but no result for the timber tractor, just the earlier steam powered Fodens

Reeves suggest the Honda GX140RX at 144cc

There was a very nice DG4 Flatbed at the ME exhibition a couple of years back, may be worth asking on Model Engineer forum.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Foden_DG4.html

J
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:05:08 PM by Jasonb »

Offline fodenman1

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
hello    yes I have the Honda gx160 with the 2/1 reduction gear box and clutch    the problem is the engine output shaft will not stop rotating on tick over, this means you cannot get out of gear, have tried Honda for different springs/weights but none available other than what I have.   on a go cart web site they said they have the same problem with the cart creeping, seems its designed that way. am in the process of changing it to a 24v motor  as a mobility scooter but I would like to get the proper engine working.  ttfn

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
Maybe some form of friction pad on the clutch bell when the throttle is released much like the brake band on an RC car that acts on the clutch when the stick is pulled back

Offline fodenman1

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
hello   yes there are 3 friction plates  ive done every thing  even machining the friction material all most off  on 1 ,2 & 3 and both sides so only leaving a couple of thou   then it wont drive at all   >:(      its takes  a pr of 10"  moles to hold the shaft from turning  ive even run it for a week with moles to try and wear the clutch down  ttfn

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
Ok you have clutch drag: Is the push rod adjusted to push the clutch plates sufficiently far apart? You should never have to remove any of the friction material (and it is likely to be asbestos so not something you should be machining). What is the depth of the clutch basket in comparison with the stack of plates? = is there enough space for the plates to separate? How much movement are you getting on the clutch when you operate it?

Is there (should there be) a ball on the end of the push rod?

Sorry silly question: have you got the order of the plates correct?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Is this a centrifugal clutch?  If so does it have sufficient clearance at rest? Can the two halfs to move independently when you assemble them off the engine and try to turn them by hand?

I would look to file some material off the activation weights to provide more clearance before I would go any where near the plates  :hellno:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
Are you using the correct oil in the reduction housing? Too thick an oil will cause drag, also as the action of a centrifugal clutch is to cut in as the revs rise, have you tried reducing the tick-over speed?

My best regards
Gray,

Offline fodenman1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
hi   am using very thin hydraulic oil  in the gear box  the engine has electronic timing so cannot slow tick over  filing down the weights maybe would work  but I would rather talk to another builder before I mutilate the engine  new weights are £45   ttfn

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
The timing has nothing to do with the idle or tick over adjustment.

According to the manual the gerabox should be filled with an engine oil, the manufacturer has designed this unit to work with this type of oil, substituting the wrong oil can be detrimental, it may even be degrading the lining material, or causing cavitation.

I have attached a link to the instructions on how to adjust the idle speed.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/69054/Honda-Gx120.html?page=37

My best regards
Gray,

Offline fodenman1

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:01 PM »
hello again    have changed the gearbox oil to engine oil    the small screw on the carb is undone as far as it will go with out falling out so engine only just ticking over  and still the out put shaft rotates   about 60 rpm I replaced  the clutch plates last year as I thinned the original ones     am thinking of going over to a 24v motor  as a mobility scooter   many thanks for your help
                                                                            roy

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:54 PM »
If the idle screw is fully out it should stop the engine I should think? Maybe the governor linkage has a problem with it. I have known these small engines to do this (at the hands of an operator fiddling with it i add) On the occasions that this happened I re-bent the linkage and adjusted the cables to ensure the butterfly was fully closed. Then i started again setting them up. Not sure on this particular engine though tbh :) good luck  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
Does the throttle lever have a spring return? because if it does not it will not follow the idle adjustment screw, you may need to manually move the throttle lever to the slow position after each adjustment.

My best regards
Gray,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal