Author Topic: Drip oiler  (Read 12330 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Drip oiler
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »
I think your right Doc, he looks guilty to me. Just a question, the spring did it come from and ink pen?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 01:22:57 AM »
Yep can from an old ink pen. I was at a garage sale a couple summers ago and they had a big tub of old pens for a buck I took them I wanted the springs they come in handy.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
Doc,
Nice project and one that many of us will get to some day.  Thanks for the drawing.  I'm thinking of making a few using plexiglass since they'll be going on air powered models.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
I'm thinking of making a few using plexiglass since they'll be going on air powered models.

Does it matter if it's for air or steam? I've never used an oiler. Do they get hot enough to be a problem for plastic?
Does the oil (or kind of oil) interact with the plexiglass (plastic)?

Thanks
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
 I think polycarbonate may work but may not last. I wanted real glass don't ask me why because I don't have a real good answer other than for a 1 inch OD you would more than likely have a smaller ID and poly would start to deteriorate if subjected to temps over 200 and may even lower with oil in it .
I know they do offer commercial oilers made of plastic not sure of what kind of plastic.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
Does it matter if it's for air or steam?

For a drip oiler on a model, a failure from oil interacting with the plastic would be a mess and if the oil carried some of the residue into the cylinder  :facepalm:

High temperatures just accelerate that kind of thing.

Looks like polycarbonate doesn't like gasoline or kerosene, so I won't be using it

http://www.palramhort.com/pdffiles/PC_Products_General_Info/PC_Chemical_Resistance.pdf

Cheers,
Phil
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:14:29 PM by philjoe5 »
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 02:13:55 AM »
Well didn't get any shop time did get some thing done around the house today. It was a very nice day out there around 60F. I have about 50 more tree's coming to get planted this spring last year we planted 75 spruce trees and about 50 fruit trees. SO I'll be busy on the nice days with yard work. It is suppose to storm starting tomorrow afternoon. They say we are going to get heavy snow and high winds with near blizzard conditions. So I may get a few days in the shop again next week.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
Well zero visibility outside right now made it out to the shop for awhile this afternoon. Cut a new glass for the cracked one. Turned up the rest of the adjustment points and soldered to the rods. Then started on adjustment handles.

2 more adjustment points.

Solder points to rods.

Adjustment assemblies minus handle.

1/4 square stock for handles.

Mill length note adjustable parallel to keep vise from closing and only clamping parts at one point of contact.

Set up to mill slot for the adjustment rods.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
Got back out in the shop for little while again and continued on handles.

Cut a small chamfer on corners to be able to put into a 5c collet and turn taper of handle I set the compound to 4 degrees.

I then files a radius on end.

Handles have been turned and ready for cross hole.

Here is what it looks like compared to the first one I built.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 01:53:58 AM »
Well between you and Gail...old honest Abe is getting a workout :)  Wonderful work on such a small scale Doc!!

Bill

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 01:17:14 AM »
Thanks Bill

I got out in the shop today and drilled the pin holes in the adjustment rod and the leavers and assembled them.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures  :facepalm: so here is a pic of them together with my first. Now the adjustment friction keeper and a fill hole and cover left to do. Then I'll make a witness port mount for them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:37:58 AM by Doc »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »
Ok got the fill port covers done and the friction adjustment keepers done. Now I need to get the keepers formed and the fill ports mounted.

I milled the port covers on the end of a block of stock then parted them off wit a jewelers saw .05 wide.

The friction keeper I took the flat pattern and double back taped some brass stock to a block in the vise and milled them out.
    The brass stock was from a score I made awhile back. A local saloon was putting on new doors to their establishment and the old doors were laying by the dumpster. I stopped and asked what are you going to do with the doors? They said toss them I could have the if I wanted. I said no I just would like the brass kick plates if they were going to toss them anyway. Haha they said sure they even lent me a screw driver to remove them so I ended up with 8 brass kick plates.
  Anyway I'll have to form them and they drill the fill port holes and the fill port cover mount holes and then turn up some pins to put the covers in place.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:34 AM »
I said no I just would like the brass kick plates if they were going to toss them anyway. Haha they said sure they even lent me a screw driver to remove them so I ended up with 8 brass kick plates.

Nice!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2014, 02:45:20 AM »
Doc that's some nice bud. .......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 03:43:49 AM »
Nice work on a useful addition to any model :cheers:

Cheers,
Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal