Author Topic: 1/3rd Scale "Ball Hopper" Monitor  (Read 28824 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
1/3rd Scale "Ball Hopper" Monitor
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
With the Galloway all done bar the video it must be time to get going with something else.

I had long fancied doing this engine and would often visit Pacific Model Designs website to eye it up. Unfortunately they went out of business so it looked like I would not get to make one, I did almost buy one of Lone Star's similar style engines from our own Maury but the opertunity to make one of the PMD kits came up so how could I refuse.

The engine is of the 4hp version and modeled in 1/3rd scale and should look like this

All but one of the castings are supplied in cast iron, the exception being the carb body which is bronze. These are the castings with a 12" rule to give an idea of size, the plastic bag contains the two timing gears.

The logical place to start is with the crankcase which is quite a heafty lump at 11" tall

But before I could get going on that my fixed steady needed a little bit of surgery before it could be used for one of the suggested machining processes :o

After a lot of careful measuring and marking out I decided on the position of the crank drain hole which was only centre drilled  for now so that the casting could be supported by the tailstock while the head end was adjusted in the 4-jaw to get the outside of the cylinder to run as true as possible then the base was machined.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwRB8If7jwg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwRB8If7jwg</a>

Who says carbide tooling does not like interupted cuts

At this same setting a very light skim was taken off the lower part of the cylinder so the fixed steady would have a surface to run against.

It was then over to the mill where the casting was shimmed up and a squaring cut taken across the base, this would be my datum for most of the other machining.

The opposite side and then the ends were squared to this first face

With the casting stood upside down the datum face was clocked true, centre located and the 4 mounting holes drilled a tight fit on some 1/4" Whit cap head screws.

Back to the lathe and the crankcase was clamped to teh faceplate and set to run true with a DTI against the previously turned portion. When true the fixed steady could now be positioned to add support while the casting was faced and bored, the bore for the liner needs to be about 6" long.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwY5id9AkA0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwY5id9AkA0</a>

I'll stop there incase I loose the posting.

J
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:56:14 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: 1/3rd Scale "Ball Hopper" Monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
Great Jason, I'm in on this ride. Your off to a good start already and you don't mess around do you? Pulling up a chair and I like already.......... :praise2:

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
Hi Jason, a great show.I like it. Following along.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
Ah...another enjoyable project to watch and learn from. Looking forward to it.

With the Galloway all done bar the video...

Just to clarify then...it's NOT done.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Those are (to me) some big lumps of metal  :ThumbsUp: Have fun with the build  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
I'm joining the fun also.

Vince

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
Another casting set to learn from.  :cartwheel:

Alan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
Great start Jason, and a very nice looking set of castings as well. Will be watching  closely along with everyone else.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 01:29:39 AM »
Another great start J.B. This one isn't a tiny one either. I'm betting after seeing this Jo is feeling better already. "In the fetal position with drool on my chin, I watch as Jason builds another beauty again" :lolb:

Whiskey

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »
Hey big E I don't know why, maybe I like to see the bits move but  :headscratch: I am not a great one for enclosed crank engines  :disappointed:

As for size, someone, not mentioning any names   :stickpoke: wanted us to make a smaller scale Otto Langen claiming his tools were not big enough to perform  :hellno: There are always ways and means one mustn't  go without :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »
I just did not want to end up with a very large paperweight :LittleDevil:

No chance of catching your thumb in an enclosed engine either :ThumbsUp:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »
I suggest with the Otto Langen you avoid looking at it from above or it might try knocking you out  :lolb:.

Some people I know would have been looking back on my administration of first aid and a caring  :mischief: as an opportunity worth a little pain.   

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline roughcaster

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 05:03:01 PM »
watching and hopfully learning this is a very smart looking engine Jason.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
To help with setting the crankcase casting up for the forth comming milling operations I decided to mount it on a tooling plate. This was clocked true to the mill axis and 4 holes drilled and tapped 1/4Whit and the casting screwed down

I then wound the mill head upto the top of its travel and proceded to drill and tap the nine 2BA holes for the head (5) and hopper (4) studs as well as the dozen smaller holes that allow water to flow from hopper to the water space around the cylinder liner. All done using teh DROs PCD function.

The casting was laid on its side with a parallel under the edge of the tooling plate to set it correctly in the horizontal plane and then clamped down using an angle plate at each end, the one at the base into tapped holes in the tooling plate, at the top I made use of some of the 2BA holes. I then used a "little Hogger" to machine all the surfaces back to the correct distance from the centre line.

A bit out of focus but the holes and slots were added at the same setting

Here you can see that the top of the bearing housing has been milled, I did these using the same set up but had to do each side separately as they are 5" end to end.

With the crankcase set at right angles the access hole on the side was faced back and opened upto final size.

I deviated from the drawings here. The pen mark shows where they put the stud hole which was a bit out of place if the cover was going to fit in the right place!

Due to the various overhanging brackets and proximity to the side of the casting I had to drill and tap the bearing cap stud holes from below.

J
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:33:57 PM by Jo »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 04:11:42 PM »
Nice setups Jason and thanks for the blow by blow. I enjoy watching these different casting setups especially when they are odd shape. They really make you think as to how and why it has to be done the way we do it. Following with great interest.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal