Author Topic: Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 35799 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »
Hey Andy - that engine is superb!
Stuart

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »
Thanks Stuart  :ThumbsUp:

Andy

Offline jeff l

« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2020, 01:11:57 AM »
Beautiful !

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
Hi Andy, this is a good stage to have got the Major to, starts to look like an engine and spurs one's interest on.  Impressive!   Looking at a few details, I would think that your plan is to drop a pointed rod through the hole drilled in the spring beam to ascertain where the threaded hole in the cylinder boss actually locates? That could be a good way to go, can't remember if I did it that way, but I did end up doing a bit of "remodelling" of the boss to even the shape up around the base diameter of the interconnecting strut. Built up one side of the boss just a little with epoxy keyed in with some tiny brass pins. Put some paint over it before anyone knew!
 Also, it looks as if the con rod big end is at some distance from the crank, but presumably that is just the "fer instance" assembly to see the bits move?
  As you did, I found assembly of the parallel motion and its many separate bits to be some game, and the tiny components are mostly too small to be very well marked as sets and for which way round they must go. After removing it all while the engine languishes during painting, I have kept the motion all together assembled to limit the chance of muddle and loss of bits.  Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2020, 06:18:18 PM »
Thanks Dave and Jeff,

Yes Dave my interest is spurred, I now find that the hole in the centre of the Entablature is directly above the centreline of the boss on the top of the cylinder so fitting the Entablature stay should be straightforward. I found that I had assembled the central column slightly skew whiff, I slackened the base and adjusted it accordingly. In this picture you can see a 3/16" rod dropped down through the Entablature.

As you suspect the crank is still jury rigged, I have left it that way in case I need to move things about. The crank pin is just a plain 3/8" stub at the moment - yet another part waiting to be made properly. You might be able to see the crank wedged together with cigarette paper or ptfe tape in this picture.

It should look like this,

to be continued............

Andy

Offline kvom

« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2020, 09:31:10 PM »
Nice progress.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
Thanks for the comment and extra pictures Andy, that all looks really nice, and the spot on central alignment of the spring beam hole and cylinder boss is an excellent testament to the alignment of the components that bring that about.
 Though I have got away with the alignments on my engine, and it does look and behave OK, with hindsight ( and perhaps a less ridiculously protracted building period, er, 30 years....! )  I would have given great attention to the alignment implications of the component tolerances and the way in which one area of the engine can interact with other bits to give a snag.  Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
Cheers Dave, yes, the slightest misalignment of the column is magnified many times over at the outboard ends of the beam. Building period, er 30 years. - I bought my Stuart Major kit November 2013 but work kept being  interrupted by building Alyn Foundry engines. There are four sets of Alyn Foundry castings waiting in my workshop!
Ive got to speed up.

Andy

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
I have replaced temporary wedges with fitted gibs and cotters that secure the three connecting rod bearings - big end and two fork end bearings. As the cotters were lightly tapped home pulling things together and closing the split bearings things lined up rather well. I was anticipating problems but fortunately the engine turns over smoothly.

[/url]

Andy