Author Topic: Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 86993 times)

Offline jeff l

Re: Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2019, 03:03:49 AM »
Hi Andy , I'm sorry I should have gave you a few hints about using the tool . It does not like standard cutting oil , the fact is I cut mine dry . And a moderate rpm works well but you already figured this out , very sorry .Jeff
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:09:06 AM by jeff l »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
Hi Jeff, apology not necessary, you told me back in May, ".....the most important part is they are cut dry", I forgot your advice.

Andy

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
Hi Andy, impressed by the tin full of bits including some spares that look as if they ought to be put to use rather than left in the tin.  Just a totally ridiculous thought, but if you have any acquaintance who is into "Steam Punk" dressing up , two assembled links would make a fabulous pair of unique ear rings....! Christmas is coming....     Dave

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
Looking great!

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:13:27 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #200 on: December 14, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
I finished milling the rebates in the other two edges of the bearings this afternoon.

in this picture they're lined up ready to have the rebate milled.

[/url]

Third edge done.

Fourth and final edge done

The four Lower Motion Link Bushes to be unsoldered tomorrow after being marked as pairs. I hope they fit after all this.

Andy

Offline jeff l

« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2019, 01:27:56 AM »
Beautiful !

« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »
Hi Andy, the new bearings look very nice:   though the remaking is a bit of a bind there is that extra certainty about just what you are aiming for that renders it well worth the bother now and again.  But I just wonder whether, having changed to brass, the other split bearings will be remade or whether it looks OK? ( I suppose that it's not necessarily un prototypical, it might have happened that way in maintenance of an engine over many years....)    Dave

Offline jeff l

« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
Hi Andy , I haven't been able to carry on with  my Major Beam project .Jeff :-[
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:51:48 AM by jeff l »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »
Aesthetics - can I mix bronze and brass bushes ?

Earlier today Dave 'Chipswitheverything' asked whether it will look OK? - there was such a difference in the colour of the motion link bushes mainly because the bronze bushes hadn't been cleaned.

Here are pictures of the bushes after polishing.

The rectangular bushes are brass and they have a slightly lighter colour than the bronze which has a slight pink hue. The bronze is also harder to polish.

So, I reckon they look OK together at the moment, but in time perhaps tarnishing will show up the different materials used.

Andy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »
The brass will darken with time, they wont look that different. Especially with a little grease/oil on them from running. I think they will be fine.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
Cheers Chris.

Andy

« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
The finished items with the wedges and cotters look really nice Andy.  Certainly think that the bronze can be left , doubt that it will be noticeable when the engine is together and after a spot of oxidizing over time, , and the heads of the steel bearings hide some of the area of metal anyway.   Good to have those bits dealt with!  Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2020, 06:12:18 PM »
I assembled the Parallel Motion for the first time today and the engine turned over without binding and without collisions which seemed remarkable. Each of the split bearings in the motion has required careful fitting as I progressed with the individual components and I have also spent a lot of time searching for bits that fell on the floor. Putting this lot together was awkward and some aspects had to be done in a particular order.
Along the way I found the piston hit the boss at the bottom of the cylinder when the crank was a few degrees before top dead centre. I couldn't find the error(s) so I decided to reduce the height of the cylinder boss by fifty thou which did the trick. The boss is wedge shaped to direct condensate towards a cylinder drain cock.

I am relieved to have got the engine to this stage - Phew!

Andy

Here are some pictures of the Parallel Motion.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal