Author Topic: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
Maybe you should let them know that it will be used to carry a set of Chuk 1 Castings early next year and Surus has got wind of the potential delivery  :facepalm:  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »
Maybe you should let them know that it will be used to carry a set of Chuk 1 Castings early next year and Surus has got wind of the potential delivery  :facepalm:  :pinkelephant:

Jo

Whose 'them'  :noidea:  The insurers ??  Baffled  :headscratch:  What's the castings got to do with them ?? 

Signed by a 'Confused old Codger'

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
"Them" is the insurers: I think I may have mentioned that Surus has taken to pouncing on the post lady or any delivery drivers when ever castings are due to be delivered :facepalm2: Their screams of terror is a clear indication that they tried delivering something and he got there first....

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this before you try to dropping off the castings for me in your nice new vehicle  :-X

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2019, 06:39:59 PM »
"Them" is the insurers: I think I may have mentioned that Surus has taken to pouncing on the post lady or any delivery drivers when ever castings are due to be delivered :facepalm2: Their screams of terror is a clear indication that they tried delivering something and he got there first....

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this before you try to dropping off the castings for me in your nice new vehicle  :-X

Jo

They will be delivered to yourself with my usual decorum.    :LittleAngel:

'Dropping off'  indeed. Perish the thought that I should be so wanton ....  ::)  Rest assured I shall treat your property with the same contempt care as if it were mine own.  ;D

Dave  .. ( At the moment trying to gouge Red Oxide Primer out from under his fingernails ....  I'd forgotten how gobby the damn stuff is      :rant: ).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 06:43:19 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »
Having roughed out the piston I decided to mill out the slots for the two bolts on the power piston centre. This was a bad move: Only after turning the outside to size and adding the cavitation grooves did I remember I should have also drilled the tapping holes for the six screws that will hold on the brass Top Ring.

A slightly thicker than shown on the plans piece of brass sheet was found and had six clearance holes for the screws added. This then allowed the offcut of brass to be attached to the piston so it could have its outside turned and the inside bored. Before milling the slots for the power piston centre bolts. Having done the final machining of the power piston it could finally be turned round and the indent for the nut added.

Somewhere along the lines the piston seems to have grown and it now does not want to slide in the cylinder  :headscratch: This is not a problem it just provides a bit of material to conduct the lapping with.

I was trying to work out why the power piston had that odd brass plate: It seems to have originally been used to hold in place a leather cup ring but on the model it would cause too much friction so the recommendation is to use Teflon plumbing packing. I decided I would order some silicon "O" rings of 51mm diameter to see if they proved to be better  :noidea:

Jo