Author Topic: Flame licker won't run, seems like nothing helps  (Read 13626 times)

fcheslop

Re: Flame licker won't run, seems like nothing helps
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
Just re watched youre video and think the timing is out check out youre top dead centre compared to the Duclos .Youre engine appears to have the valve fully open although it maybe the angle of the shot.
Dont know where you reside if its in the UK meths is not the best fuel and its hygroscopic and that maybe the reason for the yellow flame.
I use shellac thinners
Good luck 

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
IMO, the valve is not airtight and does not control air movements. When turning the engine backward, you must feel a very good compression, and this is not so in the second video. When you are running your engine forward, we do not hear the noise of air though the valve, as expected, (a sort of intestinal noise...), but only the mechanical clattering.
Therefore the air movements are not driven by the valve.
Those engines can be very noisy when running, owing to air movements, just like a trumpet, and if you do not hear air passing, check valve tightness and timing.
The power stroke is only the first part of the return journey back to the top dead centre, when atmospheric pressure could be somewhat higher than the cylinder pressure, and push the piston backward, and this is not that easy to domesticate.
The mass of the cylinder is also far too large, you have to cut fins, as in the first cylinder.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:45:20 PM by Zephyrin »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »
Dont know where you reside if its in the UK meths is not the best fuel and its hygroscopic and that maybe the reason for the yellow flame.
I use shellac thinners
Good luck

Hi Frazer.

Where do you buy your shellac thinners?

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

fcheslop

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Hi David, Trade paint suppliers usually stock it for French Polishing

Arbalest

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
I bought some of this because I thought it may be industrial meths. Not sure if it is though and I haven't actually tried it as some one gave me a small bottle of 99% Alchohol.

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/8621/sn/RPWCWA2815#.U0RceMu9KSM

Offline Ridddervold

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
I'm going to give it another try quite soon, and I'll take another look at the valve timing.
Meanwhile I've been given the task of estimating the total friction in the engine. At the moment I'm calculating the friction between the piston and the cylinder, does anyone have any good equations for estimating the friction between the valve-to-cylinder, valve axle-to-cylinder, cam-to-valve axle and crankshaft-to-flywheel bearings?
I really appreciate your help so far!  ^-^

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 02:57:11 PM »
HI, Friction, start with the piston.  With the con rod disconnected, and clean and dry (no oil), with the cylinder open at both ends, and vertical, put the piston in the cylinder, it should drop through, next seal the bottom with your hand, and put the piston back in, and it should move very slowly under its own weight, if that test goes OK, move on, if not, ie., a bit tight, polish the piston  until it fits, if its too loose, make another one.
      While the con rod is disconnected, flip the flywheel, it should turn for quite a time.  The big end should be quite free.
       Try a lighter spring on the valve.
       At first my motor would only run on a flame from my gas torch, but after a time it ran on meths,  so it might be an idea to try the torch, with a small burner on it.  The original drawing of my motor shows a gas burner.    Ian S C

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
Industrial meths works well, noticeable difference to the usual purple stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal