Author Topic: What does it do?  (Read 12496 times)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: What does it do?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
 :rant: :rant: :rant:
Even on cable ...
Shows like
  • "How it's Made" which is almost exclusively "How machines make something"
  • "Ancient aliens" on the so called "History channel"
  • "Ax Men"
  • "Swamp People"
  • and more
These are supposed to be educational programs about history, science, sociology, whatever.

Or watch the Home and Garden or DIY channels; just don't try to learn from them. Almost all of these shows will give you an unreasonable expectation of the amount of time and work involved in actually doing anything.

At least our public television still broadcasts "This Old House" and some other educational programs - if you like working with the brown stuff.
 :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Alan

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Good to hear from you Jerry.   

What does it do it cases ignorant people to ask stupid questions.  But we can not say that in public.

I am often asked the same questions at shows . My small engines can be used to power things like steam boats or a small generator. And my clear engines educate people and show people how these small engines work.
The I get you have too much time on your hands . I wish I had more. I tell folks most people watch TV I build engines.

If we want to discuss wasting time lets talk about TV and Facebook . ...... Well lets not even waste the time by discussing it.
I do not watch TV we do watch old shows on Netflix on our own schedule. And I personally do not do face book.
I spend enough time on HMEM and here. And I work 40 +  hours a week 5 hours a week unpaid lunch and travel another 8 hours or so a week.
Tin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
Hi Tin

A friend of mine used to tell me that I had two much time on my hands as well; I would just tell him that we are all given 24 hours each day and it was up to us to choose how to use it. After that he would just change the subject.

Dave

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
Phil, our tely up here is not much better. The odd documentary, and some imported things from the BBC and that is about it.

My wife runs the remote in our house. I wouldn't have it in the house if it wasn't for the stuff she watches.

Cheers,

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
I have a love hate opinion on the How it is made and similar documentaries.  They are a fast paced readers digest version that tries to explain a complex process in about 7 minutes. So are the missed steps ignorance or editing due to time constraints. My feeling is the script writers and the narrator know nothing about what they are saying.
I am fortunate my jobs have taken me behind the scenes most people never see. I understand many manufacturing processes.

at least these shows give the general public some idea of how things are made.
Tin

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
at least these shows give the general public some idea of how things are made.

And may pique a youngster's interest to learn more.

Can't do much more in 30/60 minutes. Takes years of learning and experience.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
I have a love hate opinion on the How it is made and similar documentaries.
Tin

I watch these programs sometimes.  It is much more interesting if you look beyond the product and watch the process.  Don't look at the label as it is applied, look at the equipment and the methods used to position the piece for applying the label.  Watch the transport and transfer equipment.  And get your laughs from the commentary!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

fcheslop

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
Our 6 year old grandson loves How its Made maybe thats the age group its aimed at :lolb:
Very little to watch on the loonies lantern this side of the pond as well.
Re What does it do ? Im a miserable old git and the reply aint printable :lolb:
cheers

Offline the engineer

• live, love,forgive,= life
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »
35 + years fixing mechanical marvels  (mowers .saws  cars . etc) and got asked  as the person paid the acct will this go when i get it home
]short answer  shit no you have to make the noise yourself. ( blank stare) from customer then the penny dropped and his whole face got quite red with embarasment.
or the one the boss uses sometimes is see that chap over there ( my self)  he  has cerebal palsy he is supposed to be the idiot not you thats the time i leave for the workshop wobbling around on my bent pins
 we have a sign at work       dont let things you cant do interfere with things you can
 do things you can while you can and try things you think you cant you may be suprised
 love that counsellor a great mate to have around
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:13:54 AM by the engineer »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal