Author Topic: What does it do?  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: What does it do?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 01:15:13 AM »
Welcome back CJ,

Sit on the porch with your favourite beverage, enjoy the companionship. From what I've read and seen in your pictures............you've earned it.

Keep in touch as and when the mood strikes you.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 01:53:58 AM »
Jerry

Good to see you back.  Machine something when you feel like it, it the meantime get on with the important stuff:
scratch that dog behind the ears (and slip him a little taste of some cheese if nobody's looking).

Joe

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 02:52:22 AM »
CJ,
Good to see you back.  Me?  I'm thinking of making a 4 gear transmission.  Why?  I really don't know other than the fact that it's a nice  feeling to be able to make it.  GailinNM said it nicely

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 03:39:16 AM »
I have always known that this group is made up of a lot of very fine people.  Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I do recognize that the arrow of time (and of life) cannot be reversed.  The past has passed and cannot be changed. The question should not be "What have you done lately?"  It should be "What are you going to do next?"

I know what I am going to do.  I am going sailing.  Well, not tomorrow, but in a month or two depending on the weather.   An old sailing buddy has a sailboat that is located in the Chesapeake Bay and he needs a hand getting it to Florida. We plan to be underway by the end of April.  I may get back to the shop by June.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:33 AM »
Have at it Jerry!   Take pictures!.....and have fun.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Captain:
I don't know you, but I want to say your post was moving and heartwarming! Bravo!
As I am also a sailor, let me say, fair winds and a following sea, Skipper.
Listen to the water sliding past the hull, the creaking of the mast, and the wind in the sails and enjoy.
Mosey   :) :)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »
Captain enjoy your life as you have so far. I make things to please and amuse me and I don't care about others opinions as to why I do what I do. I like what you wrote and my dog is always there to give affection and brighten my day. I have also sailed motored and now paddling kayak and as I get older and have a few health issues I keep looking forward to the next project. While you have 10 years on me I say keep active and enjoy life and it will always be worth it.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
I have always known that this group is made up of a lot of very fine people.  Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I do recognize that the arrow of time (and of life) cannot be reversed.  The past has passed and cannot be changed. The question should not be "What have you done lately?"  It should be "What are you going to do next?"

I know what I am going to do.  I am going sailing.  Well, not tomorrow, but in a month or two depending on the weather.   An old sailing buddy has a sailboat that is located in the Chesapeake Bay and he needs a hand getting it to Florida. We plan to be underway by the end of April.  I may get back to the shop by June.

Jerry

You are one lucky son-of-a-gun!

Alan

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
well my answer to what it does is only in my head not spoken as a answer is

it keeps me from becoming a couch potato , and keeps the brain active ( my legs are not, need crutches or wheels for that )

thats what my models do   :cartwheel:

Stuart

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
Captain, check out the Stripers while you're down there. Maybe catch a couple and throw them on the grill! I dream of going there and catching a few on a fly rod!

Chuck

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
Captain, check out the Stripers while you're down there. Maybe catch a couple and throw them on the grill! I dream of going there and catching a few on a fly rod!

Chuck

I had to read that twice!  The second sentence could have been a clue but it didn't rule out anything.  It was only the final two words that set me straight. It could have just been a misspelling.

I spent my growing up years near the Chesapeake and had many encounters with striped bass or as we called them "Rockfish."  It was an hours drive to the bay but we always came home with a cooler full of fish. Rockfish, Blues, Croakers and at least a bushel of Blue Crabs.  There is no finer eating than baked Rockfish stuffed with Blue Crab.   They were all plentiful then but times have changed.  Rockfish declined rapidly to the point of almost vanishing and only a multi-year closed season allowed the to survive.

I don't think there has ever been a closed season on strippers and yet their number continue to grow, particularly around the major port cities of Baltimore and Norfolk as I have been told.

I am looking forward to the fun.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
This discussion brings to mind something my mother used to say when I asked, "why" one too many times.

Her reply was, "To make little boys ask questions".

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »

Jerry

There is something cathartic about sailing.  When in my 30's, I built a small, 13' sailboat from plans in an old Popular Mechanics magazine.  Took me a year to build and I didn't use the best of materials, but when finished, I had more darn fun sailing that thing around the lakes (some might call them ponds) in Denver.  A Sunday afternoon, a six pack of beer, and my sailboat...  it doesn't get any better than that!

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
Jerry, sail safe and enjoy the trip.

Although I have learned to mostly ignore the funny looks and weird questions, I still can't help but wonder what sort of life some of these "other people" have led. Maybe in their own mind they have interesting things to do ... hell, maybe the actually DO have interesting things to do.

I enjoy your build threads, and I hope you will get back at it one of these days.

Cheers,

Happy Sailing

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 03:00:16 AM »
what sort of life some of these "other people" have

Tom,
Watch about 1 hour of prime time TV (if you can take it) in the US and you will wonder no more.  There really isn't much out there.

No cable TV at our casa since 2003, and yet, we exist.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal