Author Topic: Membership Exercise to Make You Go HMMMMM.  (Read 8498 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Membership Exercise to Make You Go HMMMMM.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 02:07:36 PM »
On a forum, or any social group for that matter, we share what we have in common.

If we share certain differences then we run a certainty (not a risk) of disagreement (and either person may be seen as right or wrong by another individual).

I have no doubt that some of you would disagree strongly with some of my own beliefs as I do with some of yours. We get along swell here...but that's not to say we could be co-members on a different type of forum. There's certain topics we avoid for just that reason.

Little-endian vs Big-endian. Both are eggs but can't agree.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8L0-RkDYU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8L0-RkDYU</a>

Yes....and the common language is respect.   That does make it easier, but it must be reciprocal.

Good thing we've all figured that out here.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
Don't forget that some die and unless someone else posts that they died, the forum will never know.

Tin sums it up well.  I would add the fantasy dreamer.  The one who has zero experience and states how they are going to knock out an i.c. V8 as their first project.

Dave is right about life.  The past few years life has interfered greatly with my engine building.

A few years ago I made a post about the participants of this hobby being a "fringe" minority.  The essence of the post was that lay people couldn't relate to what we do.  They have no point of reference to remotely appreciate what it takes to make an engine.  Some of these "phantom" people could fall into that category.

Lastly, a lot of us are simply curmudgeons.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
Lastly, a lot of us are simply curmudgeons.

I hear that a lot at home.  :(

I guess it's good to be a tepid curmudgeon.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
Interesting discussion. Something I believe is overlooked (by some) is not everyone here is a "Modeller" .
I havent been into models as such since high school days ( 1940s) but I enjoy "jigs and fixtures" as
a hobby, So I only read the two forums about machines and such and the OT one for light entertainment.
:-) 
   ...lew...

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
Just putting in a word as one who hasn't contributed much to the forum but has gained a whole lot from it.

My lack of contributions is down to:

1. As a model engineering beginner at 65 I don't have that much to contribute other than the occasional plea for help

2. Having too much else to do leaves me too little workshop time :'(

I joined MEM when it started because I liked the general tone of what I read, and so far I'm glad to say it hasn't disappointed. The odd few novice queries I've raised have met with a barrage of helpful advice from some people whose work I've admired from a distance for years in some cases :NotWorthy:

I've been an avid follower of some of the build logs, most recently Jo's UPT masterclass, so please don't take a lack of contributions as a lack of interest.

Mike.

Offline savarin

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »
As a total newb to model engineering or any other type come to that I have very little of value to contribute.
I joined to get information and help and have a sack full of questions to ask.
The kind of help I received was excellent and I am still trying to work through it (as well as the homework) although it has presented another sack of questions that will be asked when I feel I can understand the answers.
Unfortunately my other hobbies take up a fair bit of time as well, I design, build and ride recumbent bicycles/tricycles, am making a 12" giant binocular, all guaranteed to take more time out of my day along with the inevitable "honey do's"
I'm probably in the dreamer category but hey, the journey can often be more important that the destination.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »
Savarin,

It's a journey.....and I'm still traveling on it too.   Just have fun with it :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »
Hello Whiskey,

I for one would like to visit this site more often, I certainly find the members on here very jovial compared to other sites, but the truth of the matter is my time is split between writing, the workshop and replying to requests for help. I will certainly try to make a concious effort to log-in more frequently in the future, especially now I am about to make another start on the Fiat Tractor again. Before that though I need to finish the variable power feed for my X1 Mini-Mill, (hopefully by the end of the week).

My best regards
Gray,

Offline ian cable

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
hi ya it would be a bit boring if there where 1560 replies to each question each day haha, One question on help or advice usually gets a lot of replies and an on going thread, where as build threads and pics don't seem to get as many I suppose because its usually the end product, but the social side tends to run through more or less every thread, and I think that's why this foreram is so sucsessfull  ian c :cheers: 

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
90LX_Notch wrote:

"The essence of the post was that lay people couldn't relate to what we do."

----- Jay Leno was being interviewed before his exit from the Tonight Show (The last 'last' time) the interviewer asked him if spending time in his shop working on his cars would be enough of a life. I was waiting for him to  say to the interviewer: "Well, You're obviously not a car guy."

--

Tin Falcon makes some good points: On reflection I find that I change from day to day as to what I am.

I try to contribute when I think I have something to add to a discussion: I have written a lot of things that I have NOT posted because I end up reading them to myself and hearing my inner editor's voice, which sounds a lot like Tommy Smothers saying "OH YEAH, Well Mother always liked you best!"

Sometimes I get help for myself from staying in the background. Sometimes I think I can add relevant comments to topics under discussion. Sometimes I think I can add "banter" (whatever that is) to a more social discussion. Sometimes I have nothing to say or nothing to say that would add anything other than length to posts. sometimes I have a good day in the shop, but nothing that would add to the forum if I posted it. Sometimes I have a bad day that would add nothing... There are also times in life where other things take precedence over shop time.

All in all, I am inspired by what is here (and other places, too). I am encouraged by those who have posted their learning experiences, whether good or bad. In time time I have been following, I appreciate those who have grown from beginners to very active participants and who have posted all along the way.

I think it is important to keep in mind that people are different, not everyone will work alike or talk alike, or offer the same advice or opinions.

--ShopShoe

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Well I recieved a lot more response on this one than I was expecting. I really started the thread on the basis of what we either didn't know or had forgotten about some of our members, i.e; where they are from or what they did for living and so on. I pitched in the second thought more or less because of the people that posted an intro and then was never heard from again. I guess I was just pondering out loud if they were still watching or had changed channels all together :shrug: I will have to say this is one thread in which I agree with everything that posted. Thanks for all the replies.

Whiskey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:12 PM »
I had to check   :LittleDevil:

I see you are not a hot blooded male Eric  :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »
Well now I don't know bout that Jo, what are the requirements? One thing I'm sure of is I'm not a blue blood :lolb:.

Whiskey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 05:28:15 PM »
Well now I don't know bout that Jo, what are the requirements?

Admitting to thinking you are one in your forum profile as a start  ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
 :whoohoo: There is another one.

But Eric is still not admitting to anything  :embarassed: I wonder why  :mischief:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal