Author Topic: MONO POLE MOTOR  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
MONO POLE MOTOR
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
I built this motor quiet a few years back for my grandsons and thought some of you might find it interesting. Its something different from the norm and hope you enjoy it.
This is a mono pole motor and as you can see it only has one magnet. The Communitation is done by scraping the magnum wire on on side and leaving it coated on the opposite side. The brass shaft does not go all the way through, as it is split in the center.
Enjoy!

Don
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSCa0KmLZ08" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSCa0KmLZ08</a>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:42:37 PM by Don1966 »

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: MONO POLE MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
Interesting.  8)

Does it turn in either direction? Is it self-starting (as it appears) or does it at least need to be positioned properly to start?

I was not familiar with this, and it appears to be simple enough for anyone to build. I would expect that it would also act as a generator.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Hi Paul, yes its self starting and by reversing the armature inserted into the loops it will reverse. The other way to reverse it is to change the magnet to a North Pole, the one in there is a South Pole. The motor actually generates as it passes the opposite pole because only one side of the coil is used to propel it. The commutation only turns on one side, as the other passes it generates. If you notice I installed a LED on the armature and it is connected where it will not turn on by the battery, but but the back EMF.

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:32 PM »
That's fantastic Don. Never seen one before.

Hugh.

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »
From the title I though you had discovered a magnetic monopole and were in line the next Nobel Prize in physics.   :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal