Author Topic: One more Weeden just about done.  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
One more Weeden just about done.
« on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:48 AM »
This will be number 6 for me a few years ago I purchased 8 Weedens thrown in a box none in running order and have been fixing them up one at a time. This one I made new boiler straps, fittings for the sight glass and replaced the glass tube. Put a new steam dome on boiler new pressure feed tube to engine new control knob and screw all that's left is to make a new whistle and she should be good to go. The fly wheel does wobble a bit on thus one so I may end up putting new crank shaft and sleeve  the crank mounts.
 I have another one started but long ways to go on it yet.
I do like these little engines!

Those sight glass fittings are a bit of a pain to make.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: One more Weeden just about done.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:00 AM »
Hi Doc

I have 4 or 5 Weedens in a box maybe I should send them to you  :lolb:

Seriously they are nice little engines; I have few that are in pretty decent shape and as indicated above some that are works in progress. There used to be a guy that made repo parts for the Weedens; I bought a couple smoke stacks from him, they were real nice. I don't know what ever happened to him; I seem to remember that he also made sight glass fittings. Russel Snyder maybe?

Nice work and good to see these little engines being put back into working order.

Dave

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »
I made the missing fittings also had to solder new port rings on to the boiler.
  If you happen to need sight glass I ordered some and have way more than I'll ever use when I got it it was 3 2foot sticks for $1.00 I think I have used about half a stick (with the broken ones I made) I have 6 sticks of it 1/8 dia OD. I had one spare steam dome that I used the other boilers that I'm going to use the steam domes are ok  on. I have one boiler setup with no motor so I may either use that boiler for one of my walking beams or make a knock off of the Weeden engine. Maybe I'll start a build log and make a copy of the Weeden. I need to set them all up on a display and set up a manifold to run them all. Been wanting to set up a display and show at the WMSTR after I retire maybe attend some of the other shows too.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:10:40 AM »
Maybe I'll start a build log and make a copy of the Weeden. I need to set them all up on a display and set up a manifold to run them all. Been wanting to set up a display and show at the WMSTR after I retire maybe attend some of the other shows too.

Do it. Do it. And yes...do the 3rd as well.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
Thanks Carl!

Well started the day in the shop with a boo boo.

Ooops got to be more careful tightening the fittings.

So since I had to get out the glass tube again I decided to go forward with number seven and get the sight glass fixed in it at the same time.

Then on to the whistle.
turned up main body then clamped on mill at an angle and use dove tail cutter to cut the notch then take back to lathe and drill main air hole to the notch.

Turned up the shell and cut notch with a ball end mill.

Components ready to be assembled.

Use a ball bearing to peen end of valve shaft. Note I used a hard drive magnet under to hold ball in place while smacking the ball.

Valve shaft peened and in place.

Weeden number 6 done whistle in place.

It was extremely nice outside today so quit early and went walking my buddy Rowdy (my boxer) was wanting to go. So didn't get much else done today.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing that whistle. Next time you run it...take a video. Please?
"To work. To work."

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Will do, I'll see if I can get some time in the shop this week and I'll steam her up again and give it a toot. She is a real high pitch I should of made the shell longer to lower the tone. Some day I need to build me a BIG one to wake up the neighborhood ;o) hahaha

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:46:06 AM »
  I went out and ran it on air didn't want to put water in the boiler again. It was running on about 7PSI when I took this video. The camera doesn't do the whistle justice it's a high pitch and on  the video it sounds like static but believe me it's not static it's a high annoying pitch. I may make the sleeve over and make it about twice the length to try and get the tone down. But that will be another day for now I consider it a completed repair. I need to get back to my V8 build.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwKDtwgUrs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFwKDtwgUrs</a>

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:05:29 AM »
Very cool. Thanks Doc.
Yeah the video I'm sure doesn't do it justice. But it's cool. Very cool. Thanks for taking the time.
And yes...get on with the V8.  ;D
From the little I could see..it looks like you have a really nice shop too!
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal