Author Topic: Dieter Hartmann-Wirthwein patent engine  (Read 42566 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: Dieter Hartmann-Wirthwein patent engine
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
Hi Jim,
Glad to have you along on the journey, but don't just ride. Pedal a little bit now and then.  Your comments are always useful and welcome.

Before I get started making parts a few comments about machinery may be in order.  I will be using an ancient 2-1/2 axis CNC Bridgeport and a manual milling machine.  All the parts should be able to be made without CNC, but a few of them will be much easier with CNC. If making them on a manual mill I would probably leave some of the curved features square and file them as necessary. Most turned parts will be made on an 11 inch swing tool room lathe., but for ease I will probably use a small CNC lathe for some of the valve parts.  I is certainly not necessary however but is much quicker for me.

Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »
Nothing like making the first part to commit you.  First up is the forked connecting rod.  I chose it because it will be the most complex part to machine and because it is the part will be most likely to give interference problems.

Friday night, day before yesterday, I blanked out two parts.  By mid morning Saturday I had screwed them both up with stupid mistakes so I got to start over again.

A blank was made, actually 2 so I could screw one up and still get one good one. It  was finished accurately to thickness and width and one end squared up to use for a reference.  The other end is just saw cut and will get machined off early in the machining.

The big end was machined on one side and the part flipped and the other side machined.

The big end hole wad drilled and reamed.  Then the small ends were drilled and reamed from both sides.

A radius was put on both of the small ends.

And it looks like this so far with all the edge work done.

The contours were cut on one side holding the part on parallels in the vice.  Not much to grip on, but enough.

A pocket to hold the part was machined into a 3/16 thick set of plate softjaws in the vice.

The excess material was machined off the second side down to the contour that had been cut thus bringing the part to final thickness .

And as luck would have it I did not screw up either of the two blanks so I have two parts that agree with my drawing.  If they will work will be seen later on.

Gail in NM

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
Pretty impressive. Wow.

Is that 6061 or the 7075 you talked about?

A good example of thinking through the operations from my standpoint.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
Thanks Zee.  The photos are all of 6061 that I was using to proof out the steps.  It went well enough that while I was set up I made two more out of 7075 in hopes that I won't have to make any changes. But you know what the odds of that happening are. ;D
Gail in NM

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
You might find the Lancia Appia V4 engine interesting. It was an extremely narrow angle (10 degrees) Vee, and had 4 pistons on a single offset crank. 1950's.
Mosey :happyreader:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
Gail glad to see you on another interesting project. I will be tagging along for the ride. Some nice bits of work so far. I like......... :praise2:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 08:43:22 PM »
Some amazing work Gail, and great pictures as always!!

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
And if I want to make a sling shot to get rid of some of the pesky squirrels around my bird feeder, I know just who to see--- :P :P

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
Great work Gail and an excellent example of the benefits of CNC in the hands of an expert.

My head hurts just thinking about how that part could be made using just a manual milling machine with rotary table.

Jim

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
Thanks for following along and for the comments everyone.

Mosey: The Lancia Appia V4 would be an interesting engine all right.  And if the angle were opened up some it might sound like a throaty Harley.

Brian: I would have thought that with the lung capacity you developed doing valve testing that a blow gun might work well for your purpose.

Jim: One advantage of doing your own design is that you design around the capabilities of the available tools and hopefully within your own capabilities.  I used CNC because I have it.  But this part could be made on a manual machine by squaring up the outside corners and keeping the inside corners to match a cutter radius. Just leave the big end square and add a couple of washers if desired.  It would work the same. A file and a few filing buttons would dress it up some if one were so inclined.  When building to the design of someone else  we are used to adding additional complex features just because we can.  But we should not be afraid of reducing the complexity of a design if it does not affect the function of the part. The designer probably designed around his/her tools and skills just as I do.
Gail in NM

Offline Mosey

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:00 AM »
Gail,
A throaty Harley, indeed! Coming from a different universe of machinery, Lancia, the mother of Ferrari, was a jewel-like machine of the highest precision in engineering, materials, and manufacture, and which sounded more like a Necchi sewing machine, MV Augusta, or an Aermacchi. How else could they have become so totally bankrupt in the Italian motor tradition?  Perhaps a refreshing trip to the auto museum to visit a vintage 50's Lancia might be cleansing of the soul. (Had 5 of them) Absolutely nothing in common with the present day Lancia-badged Fiat.
Mosey   :facepalm:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »
Anything with Weber carbs produces excellent sound, 45DCOE's are best but even 4 32DCNF downdrafts are good for the soul. :-)

I think Gail's choice of engine is excellent as it is mechanically so unusual.

Gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:22 AM »
You misunderstand Mosey.  Although I know only a little bit about Lancia engines I  know they were very built to a very high standard.  I was talking about if I modeled it then it would be more like a Harley.  You know -- oil leaks, strange noises and all the rest. Even so I still like them.  I am not a good scale model builder.  I build to show a concept or some other unusual feature and for the fun of it.  I do appreciate quality work both in models and full scale.

Gerrit, that's the reason I am building it.  It is different..
Gail in NM

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »
The fun is in progress.  Trying to stuff all the goodies into the pistons.  Slow going.
One item that is necessary are some washers to keep things centered and avoid collisions.  I made allowance for 0.007 thick washers and to allow for machining tolerances and personal errors I made the washers out of 0.005 thick PTFE (Teflon) sheet.  The washers are 0.141 diameter with a 0.096 hole in them.There are 4 washers in each piston so at least 16 are required. Double that to feed the swarf bunnies their share. And a few extra.  I made about 100.  They could be machined from rod but for all but a few the deburring the cutoff ring is a challenge. So I punched them.

Many years ago I ran across an idea for a quick and dirty way to punch thin materials and have been doing it that way ever since.  It will work on plastics and shim brass and alumninum up to about 0.025 thick. For plastic the die can be alumninum but for metals it needs to be steel. Using a quill on a mill to drive the punch about a 1/4 inch is the upper limit for most materials with out stressing the quill feed.  I thought a how to might be useful.

For simple punching of a hole, just clamp the material for the die in the mill vice.  Position the table to a convenient location to drill a hole in the die and lock the table.  It is best to drill the hole undersize a little bit and then drill with the correct size drill for the hole that you want to punch. That gives a cleaner edge.  Clean up the hole with a stone or abrasive paper backed by a block.  Don't do anything that will take the edge off the hole.  Now remove the drill and grind the end of the shank square and sharp. Bench grinder is fine.  Put the drill back into the chuck upside down and adjust the quill so the drill enters the drilled hole a short distance.

Just put the material to be punched over the hole and pull the handle. A little oil on the punch will make life easier if punching metal as it will try to stick to the punch.

Here I punched blanks out using the hole nearest the camera.  Then for the center hole I put a little pocket for the blank to drop into and punched the hole.  I left the washers on the punch and stripped them off after all had been punched.  The die is a piece of scrap 1/4 x 3/4 alumninum and the punch is the back end of a number 41 drill bit.

Gail in NM

Offline Mosey

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
Gail,
you are correct, I did misunderstand, and I apologize. I just love those zany Italian engine designs.
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal