Author Topic: 1/4 Scale Rider-Ericsson Pumping Engine from castings.  (Read 50206 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1/4 Scale Rider-Ericcson Pumping Engine from castings.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
A little more progress, I got the bolt hole pattern drilled into the mounting flange at the base of the cylinder (photo1) and the got it bolted on at home (photo 2). Using the base with the cylinder bolted to it in order to keep things square and to make it easier to hold in the vise, the top portion of the cylinder casting was machined down to the correct height (photo 3). The next step will be to bore the top opening out as called for and then machine the "pads" where the flywheel bracket and pump housing will bolt on.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »
Just for some variety I went back to the firebox and cleaned things up enough to get the firebox door to fit nicely and drilled through for a hinge pin. The photos belog show the drill bit as the hinge pin but will replace that with a piece of 1/16" brass rod.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
I  got a little more done on the beam  and also located the permanent home for the beam bracket and shaft sub-assembly. As soon as I can get the 1/2" hole drilled for the shaft I'll mount the beam and hope to get the flywheel support bracket attached whoch shoudl get the basic skeleton of the engine pretty well done.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
With this update I got the two mounting surfaces on the cylinder machined to the specified distance from the centerline of the bore. One of these is where the pump will mount (photo 1) and the other on the opposite side is where the flywheel bracket mounts to the cylinder casting (photo 2). There was a little extra tab on the casting which the plans say to remove so that was done also (photo 3). Finally in this post the holes in the cylinder and the base were located and drilled/tapped for attaching the flywheel bracket (photo 4).

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
After that the flywheel bracked was attached with four 6-32 hex cap screws as shown in the first two photos below. Its pretty tight quarters even for a slim hex driver but tight enough for the moment. I am sure it will have to come apart a few more times as things progress. Prior to doing this work I drilled the three cross holes in the beam though that set up isn't shown. The last two pictures are with everything done thus far assembled as they will be in the final model.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
Nothing very exciting  but I did get the  steel cylinder sleeve machined to length and the 3 step diameters turned where they will mate with the cylinder casting. Now i have to finish boring out the casting so it will slip in. The last picture shows the stock bore which measures round and already has a nice smooth bore. Just a little honing and it should be good to go.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:07:02 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
In this post I pretty well got the displacer piston finished...machined the tube to length at work, cut a round sheet metal plug for the bottom of it and a slich of round aluminum for the top. Then I silver soldered the plug into the bottom of the tube and machined the top end aluminum plug. Rather than attaching the acutator rod with two set screws at 90 degrees I am going to thread it into the top with a 10-32 thread. In picture 1 below I had cut a piece of scrap tubing just short of the tube length by the thickness of the plug and the .030" recess shown on the plans. This was just to siupport the plug evenly during soldering.Photo 2 shows it all fluxed up and photo 3 the results after soldering and cleaning it up. Not the best soldering I have done but its in there and no leaks which is what matters. The last three photos just show the machining and fitting of the displacer top cap.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
Just a few more pictures from Friday afternoon through this morning. First is the initial machining of the displace yoke to get the mounting point widths to spec. The second one shows the hot cap tube, displacer tube, and cylinder liner in their relative positions on the cross sectional print. And finally this morning I made the displacer rod shown in the top of the displacer piston assembly. Hopefully more later today...

I did get a start on the power piston over the weekend as well but will hold pictures of that until more is done on it. That is being done at home on the Sherline equipment.

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
I am glad you decided to come over and see what happens here Bill! ;D

After reading through the build so far i have concluded that my casting kit will remain in the box for a few more years...

When i do decide to pull it out i know where i will be turning to for help and inspiration!

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »
Nice work as usual Bill  :ThumbsUp: They look nice castings too, where are they from?

Nick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
Thanks Nick and Andrew.  I will get it all transferred over, will just take some time.  Nick, the castings came from Myers Model Engine Works. Mr. Myers has both a larger 3" bore version and a smaller 1/8 scale 1" bore version as well. Overall they are pretty good castings, just a little rough in a few places but nothing major.  I will have more comments as to the overall build and plans, etc. once i get the project finished.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
One of the last more worrysome tasks on the cylinder casting was to bore the top and bottom to accept the cylinder sleeve thus forming the water jacket around the cylinder. This required two different diameters 2.20" at the top and 2.16" at a bottom distance of 4.62" from the top surface of the casting. As before, I left the cylinder casting mounted to the base although this time with the added support of the flywheel bracket being attached. The very bottom of the cylinder casting had been bored previously while doing the lathe work (earlier post) so this provided a reference to center on with the coax indicator (photo 1). Once this was done the top bore of 2.20" was easy enough, visible and measurable, but to reach far enough down to make the lower bore of 2.16" I had to use a longer boring bar which was below the top of the cylinder even with the knee in the full lowered position (photo 2). I used a steel rule to measure from the tip of the boring bar back up to the top of the casting and then subtracted that from the 4.62" depth needed. A little error here shouldn't be that much of an issue. A telescoping gage was used on both the top and bottom bores until the diameters were just an interference fit with the respective diameters on the cylinder sleeve (photos 3 & 4).

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
Now for the moment of truth...would it fit properly? Fortunately it did as shown in the below photo. Its not fully pressed in at that point. I am electing to use JB Weld to secure and seal these two locations of the liner to the casting. Loctite would be a little neater but I'm not sure it would seal as well. If all else fails I stil have access to both the top and bottom of the liner sleeve if additional sealing is necessary. Glad that task is done now!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »
Well since today seemed to be cylinder day, I finished up by drilling the outlet port for the water jacket on the back side of the cylinder casting and the inlet port and pump mounting holes on the end of the casting. The outlet will be tapped 1/4-40 for model pipe and as soon as I can get that done  and clean the water jacket area of chips and such I will mount the liner into the casting let it cure before testing for leaks.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »
The power piston is small enough to work on at home on the Sherline lathe. Beginning with the raw casting (photo 1) the OD was turned to within .010" of the bore diameter (photo 2). Even taking small cuts of .010 to .020 built up some heat in the casting. Before working on the last .010" i let it cool back to normal temp. since even 40-50 degrees could result in a tenth or two difference due to expansion. The last few tenths were "dusted" off with a small piece of scotchbrite (photo 3) with repeated checks in the cylinder liner until the piston would just slip it on it own weight and be damped by closing off the open end of the liner.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal