Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 12658 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »
mine will be there but she my just drop me off and go shopping while I shop.  You never know with women.

Don

:headscratch: I thought the idea of going to these shows with a fella was that you had someone to carry your purchases for you.

I know the lovely two gentlemen who I was lucky enough to go to the last show with were only too willing to help me out when I was struggling to photograph a Monarch  :embarassed: Next time castings  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
I only recently joined and I'm not really a model builder, but I live only about 30 miles south of York, and I plan to attend, probably Saturday afternoon. It will be good to meet some of you there, and I might be interested in getting together for dinner. I'll probably be coming alone, unless a friend or two would like to join me, and I'd consider taking Muttley with me but I don't know if he'd be allowed. I know a guy who is into model trains including live steam, and also model R/C planes, so he might enjoy the show.  8)

My interests are mostly electronics but I'm becoming more involved with some machining, so it may be inspiring to see what can be done with a lathe, mill, and other tools combined with patience and skill. I signed up on the mailing list so I have most of the information I need.

I have a lot of surplus electronic parts and equipment, so if anyone needs anything like that, let me know, and maybe you can stop by to take some of it off my hands. I'm only a few minutes off I83 and York Rd, so it's convenient if you're coming up from Baltimore.  ;)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
Paul, the one thing I can guarantee is that you will find it inspiring!! Just don't let it be defeating in the sense that "I could never do that."  Remember we all start from the same place with little or no machining skills.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
I had been planning to come again since last year, but noticed I have a conflicting event that weekend.  If the conflicting event is cancelled because of rain being predicted a few days ahead of time, I'll try to make some last-minute arrangements.  In any case, I've decided to go to NAMES this year in any case.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
mine will be there but she my just drop me off and go shopping while I shop.  You never know with women.

Don

:headscratch: I thought the idea of going to these shows with a fella was that you had someone to carry your purchases for you.

I know the lovely two gentlemen who I was lucky enough to go to the last show with were only too willing to help me out when I was struggling to photograph a Monarch  :embarassed: Next time castings  :LittleDevil:

Jo
JO, I am happy to carry all of my wife's purchases of tools, machinery, castings, and you know that kind of stuff. That's why I bring her along. I will carry yours as well, so come on over.
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
Paul
When I went to CF 2012, I had made one engine, a small wobbler.  At the time I only had a mill. After seeing the incredible work, I was hooked. Be prepared to be amazed.
Best,
Stan

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
I'm going to try like hell to be there Saturday.  I've been wanting to go for the last five years and something always seems to derail it for me.  As of now, it looks really good for me to make it this year.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Paul
When I went to CF 2012, I had made one engine, a small wobbler.  At the time I only had a mill. After seeing the incredible work, I was hooked. Be prepared to be amazed.

I was amazed at Brian's model engines in his thread on HSM, which I joined late last year when I needed some help for the mechanical parts of my electric lawn tractor / riding mower / utility vehicle. Prior to that I enjoyed seeing some of the reciprocating electromagnetic motors on YouTube.

Maybe I can complete my small switched reluctance motor so I can bring it along and show how it works. I guess that counts as a model engine.  ;D

And I may also build a simple electronic ignition that should produce a stronger and more precisely timed spark, and eliminate arcing and deterioration of the points in a conventional ignition system. I'll start a new thread once I get a spark coil and build a prototype. I posted a circuit and simulation in another thread.  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:35:45 PM by PStechPaul »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
After last night (Zee, don't even ask, close your eyes and think about it, but, don't ask) Lou and I may be working a deal. See, I really want to bring the RV and have a BBQ, bean, and a couple of brewskis luncheon for our members under the awning on Saturday. And don't tell Lou but I'm looking for a small surface grinder at the auction and I could haul it home. If this works out, I'd have me wife, dog, and own bed to sleep in. If it don't, y'all just imagine; Two rednecks, a coon ass , one from Philly, one from Jersey at a 178 MPH,a conservative from Mass., and a programmer who tells all the girls; " I'm from Missouri, that's the show me state you know." Stan or Zee, got any attorney friends? :lolb: :lolb:. On a serious note. Last year was my first and I was amazed. If it can be modeled it was there and in all stages of awe inspiring examples. Fellars, rat hole some money, because you are gonna be saying; I was just going to buy one of these or hey, that's what I've been needing and that's all over the hall.

Whiskey

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
And I may also build a simple electronic ignition that should produce a stronger and more precisely timed spark, and eliminate arcing and deterioration of the points in a conventional ignition system

Lots of folks, me included, would like to see it.  Hope you can bring it out

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
That's why I'm going on Thursday. Get situated, scope out the auction items, save table space for the boys.
Oooh! Surface grinder. Maybe you can find Oliver's long lost brother also.
Tell Lou she's going to miss the historical tour and dinner at the Italian market in Philly. How can she possibly pass that up?
Best,
Stan

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »
That's why I'm going on Thursday. Get situated, scope out the auction items, save table space for the boys.
Oooh!

There are limits on Thursday. They are not supposed to let the public in until 5PM, and then only to buy tickets/buttons for Friday morning. The staff is there on Thursday setting out all the auction stuff and running the air lines. They do not allow vendors to unpack on Thursday, just to drop crates into their spaces.

This is because of the contract with the convention center- if they allow the public in on Thursday then Gary has to pay for the extra day.

I usually get there on Thursday afternoon and have wandered around a bit, but dont feel offended if they ask you to leave. This year may be worse than in previous years because the arena has a new manager, and you know how new managers have to throw their weight around.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 01:31:57 AM »
After last night (Zee, don't even ask, close your eyes and think about it, but, don't ask) Lou and I may be working a deal.

Thinking is dangerous. Very dangerous.

If this works out, I'd have me wife, dog, and own bed to sleep in.

And maybe some company?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
I would like to ask how Cabin Fever works in regard to the display of models. Does one buy a table space and then put your models on display and sit there with them during the day? Who do you purchase the space from?
I have one little engine to display, so I don't need much space. This would allow me to have a place to sit when I get tired of carrying all of my new purchases around, right?
What about security, how do you keep from having your models stolen? (for people with valuable ones, not me)
Any help would be appreciated with this subject for a newby.
Mosey

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
Mosey,
Table space is free and first come first served.  If your model is air driven, most tables will have compressed air at 50 psi.  You'll need to be able to connect with standard 1/4" pipe fittings.  Space is usually plentiful even if you set up on Saturday.  With one model there will be space we can fit you into.

Security hasn't been a problem as far as I know.  No matter where you set up, folks around you will be willing to watch your stuff while you roam.

I set up with the Kinzers Rough & Tumble folks and we can always fit you in, plus at least one of us is always watching the displays.

Hope to see you there

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal