Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 12712 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Cabin Fever
« on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:18 AM »
Gentlemen:
I suggest an arrival at CF on friday afternoon, staying over on Saturday at the Wingate Inn. We should plan a group dinner at TGIFriday's, or wherever you like. It would be nice to hear from others about your plans so we can make our reservations soon.
Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 02:21:08 AM »
I don't think I can make the Friday. Current plan is to be there for the Saturday afternoon.
I hope to see everyone.
Will let you all know if plans change for better or worse.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:49:46 AM »
Hi Mosey, I will be getting to Baltimore airport Friday and will be staying at Holiday Inn Express off of Hwy 83 about 15 minutes from CF. My wife and I will be getting there Saturday morning and will be there all day. Will plan on eating supper but I think Eric had something in mind so we will see when we get there. Hope to see you buddy and you to Carl.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:53:05 AM »
Hey guys,

What are the dates?.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:42 AM »
Stop by the Kinzers Rough and Tumble table and meet yours truly + all the way from down under, our very own AussieJimG. 

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 04:02:33 AM »
Hey guys,

What are the dates?.....

Dave
Hi Dave the dates are April 11th thru the 13th, that Friday through Sunday. See you there buddy.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 07:20:27 PM »
Dave? Really? Are you coming?
Wow, What a great time will be had by all!

Eric, Did you get your visa?

This time, guys, let's set a date, time, and place for the group BS dinner, OK? :Jester: :Jester:

Mosey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

Dave? Really? Are you coming?
Wow, What a great time will be had by all!

Eric, Did you get your visa?

This time, guys, let's set a date, time, and place for the group BS dinner, OK? :Jester: :Jester:

Mosey

I'm working on Mama.....it might be just me.   

Between that and work, it's been a rough one...but I'm still hopeful!

Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Oky Doky, here's where I'm at. We are or were or are trying to make this trip an annual thing and make it coincide with visiting Lou's family in Virginia. I don't really know why, but, this year some of Lou's charity things she does is jacking with my plans. Ain't neither one of us giving in, so, she has graciously approved me to fly up and spend the weekend with you guys. I ain't really got that much to show and I can FedEx Zee some beans anytime. To be honest guys, (no offense Jo) a little guy time would be great. Hey, I work with 15 women. Talking bout a lonely rooster in a hen house :lolb:. We ain't settled this and I haven't decided how much the business, i.e. me is going to pitch in to her little charity thing  to see that the both of us will be there with beans, BBQ, and beer, but , I'll be there, as Granddaddy used to say; Come Hell or high water or gold for a dollar. Mosey, first round's on you :lolb:. and Stan says he knows some good joints in da area, I spring for da transportation, I knows a couple a guys up dat way :o. So, that's plan A, B, and bits and pieces of C.. Let me me know whut y'all are thinking. I was so damn slow composing, y'all done had two mo posts. Dave, you better drag your old butt down ( see PM). Mosey, I cooked the Sheriff's reelection BBQ, and he gave me my papers.

Eric
AKA Whiskey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
Mama and I will talk over it this week.    I think I can go...it's just a weekend...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 08:34:49 PM »
Well, my better half had better have some females to talk to, or she'll be watching me too closely when I go to the Martin Castings, and other venders. So, Dave and Eric, bring the momma?
I just wanna know where and when so we can gang up on Whiskey properly. Just bring yourself, and we'll understand the missing engine things.
This is getting very interesting.
Mosey

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:02 AM »
My wife will be coming along  this time as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone. I will be set up by tin falcon. I will have a picture of my avatar at my setup. 

Dave

Offline Mosey

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »
Dave,
Will be glad to see you there.
Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »
so, she has graciously approved me to fly up and spend the weekend with you guys.

Lou may not be there? This somehow seriously affects my incentive.  ;D

I expect to be there Saturday noon-ish. No plans made as to departure time. That will depend on you all  ;D But I sure hope to meet all of you who are attending.

I'll have a little 'Z' pin on my lapel.

"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:41 AM »
Well, my better half had better have some females to talk to, or she'll be watching me too closely when I go to the Martin Castings, and other venders. So, Dave and Eric, bring the momma?
I just wanna know where and when so we can gang up on Whiskey properly. Just bring yourself, and we'll understand the missing engine things.
This is getting very interesting.
Mosey
Mosey mine will be there but she my just drop me off and go shopping while I shop.  You never know with women.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »
mine will be there but she my just drop me off and go shopping while I shop.  You never know with women.

Don

:headscratch: I thought the idea of going to these shows with a fella was that you had someone to carry your purchases for you.

I know the lovely two gentlemen who I was lucky enough to go to the last show with were only too willing to help me out when I was struggling to photograph a Monarch  :embarassed: Next time castings  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
I only recently joined and I'm not really a model builder, but I live only about 30 miles south of York, and I plan to attend, probably Saturday afternoon. It will be good to meet some of you there, and I might be interested in getting together for dinner. I'll probably be coming alone, unless a friend or two would like to join me, and I'd consider taking Muttley with me but I don't know if he'd be allowed. I know a guy who is into model trains including live steam, and also model R/C planes, so he might enjoy the show.  8)

My interests are mostly electronics but I'm becoming more involved with some machining, so it may be inspiring to see what can be done with a lathe, mill, and other tools combined with patience and skill. I signed up on the mailing list so I have most of the information I need.

I have a lot of surplus electronic parts and equipment, so if anyone needs anything like that, let me know, and maybe you can stop by to take some of it off my hands. I'm only a few minutes off I83 and York Rd, so it's convenient if you're coming up from Baltimore.  ;)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
Paul, the one thing I can guarantee is that you will find it inspiring!! Just don't let it be defeating in the sense that "I could never do that."  Remember we all start from the same place with little or no machining skills.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
I had been planning to come again since last year, but noticed I have a conflicting event that weekend.  If the conflicting event is cancelled because of rain being predicted a few days ahead of time, I'll try to make some last-minute arrangements.  In any case, I've decided to go to NAMES this year in any case.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:32 PM »
mine will be there but she my just drop me off and go shopping while I shop.  You never know with women.

Don

:headscratch: I thought the idea of going to these shows with a fella was that you had someone to carry your purchases for you.

I know the lovely two gentlemen who I was lucky enough to go to the last show with were only too willing to help me out when I was struggling to photograph a Monarch  :embarassed: Next time castings  :LittleDevil:

Jo
JO, I am happy to carry all of my wife's purchases of tools, machinery, castings, and you know that kind of stuff. That's why I bring her along. I will carry yours as well, so come on over.
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 02:07:16 PM »
Paul
When I went to CF 2012, I had made one engine, a small wobbler.  At the time I only had a mill. After seeing the incredible work, I was hooked. Be prepared to be amazed.
Best,
Stan

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
I'm going to try like hell to be there Saturday.  I've been wanting to go for the last five years and something always seems to derail it for me.  As of now, it looks really good for me to make it this year.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Paul
When I went to CF 2012, I had made one engine, a small wobbler.  At the time I only had a mill. After seeing the incredible work, I was hooked. Be prepared to be amazed.

I was amazed at Brian's model engines in his thread on HSM, which I joined late last year when I needed some help for the mechanical parts of my electric lawn tractor / riding mower / utility vehicle. Prior to that I enjoyed seeing some of the reciprocating electromagnetic motors on YouTube.

Maybe I can complete my small switched reluctance motor so I can bring it along and show how it works. I guess that counts as a model engine.  ;D

And I may also build a simple electronic ignition that should produce a stronger and more precisely timed spark, and eliminate arcing and deterioration of the points in a conventional ignition system. I'll start a new thread once I get a spark coil and build a prototype. I posted a circuit and simulation in another thread.  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:35:45 PM by PStechPaul »

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
After last night (Zee, don't even ask, close your eyes and think about it, but, don't ask) Lou and I may be working a deal. See, I really want to bring the RV and have a BBQ, bean, and a couple of brewskis luncheon for our members under the awning on Saturday. And don't tell Lou but I'm looking for a small surface grinder at the auction and I could haul it home. If this works out, I'd have me wife, dog, and own bed to sleep in. If it don't, y'all just imagine; Two rednecks, a coon ass , one from Philly, one from Jersey at a 178 MPH,a conservative from Mass., and a programmer who tells all the girls; " I'm from Missouri, that's the show me state you know." Stan or Zee, got any attorney friends? :lolb: :lolb:. On a serious note. Last year was my first and I was amazed. If it can be modeled it was there and in all stages of awe inspiring examples. Fellars, rat hole some money, because you are gonna be saying; I was just going to buy one of these or hey, that's what I've been needing and that's all over the hall.

Whiskey

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
And I may also build a simple electronic ignition that should produce a stronger and more precisely timed spark, and eliminate arcing and deterioration of the points in a conventional ignition system

Lots of folks, me included, would like to see it.  Hope you can bring it out

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »
That's why I'm going on Thursday. Get situated, scope out the auction items, save table space for the boys.
Oooh! Surface grinder. Maybe you can find Oliver's long lost brother also.
Tell Lou she's going to miss the historical tour and dinner at the Italian market in Philly. How can she possibly pass that up?
Best,
Stan

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »
That's why I'm going on Thursday. Get situated, scope out the auction items, save table space for the boys.
Oooh!

There are limits on Thursday. They are not supposed to let the public in until 5PM, and then only to buy tickets/buttons for Friday morning. The staff is there on Thursday setting out all the auction stuff and running the air lines. They do not allow vendors to unpack on Thursday, just to drop crates into their spaces.

This is because of the contract with the convention center- if they allow the public in on Thursday then Gary has to pay for the extra day.

I usually get there on Thursday afternoon and have wandered around a bit, but dont feel offended if they ask you to leave. This year may be worse than in previous years because the arena has a new manager, and you know how new managers have to throw their weight around.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 01:31:57 AM »
After last night (Zee, don't even ask, close your eyes and think about it, but, don't ask) Lou and I may be working a deal.

Thinking is dangerous. Very dangerous.

If this works out, I'd have me wife, dog, and own bed to sleep in.

And maybe some company?
"To work. To work."

Offline Mosey

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
I would like to ask how Cabin Fever works in regard to the display of models. Does one buy a table space and then put your models on display and sit there with them during the day? Who do you purchase the space from?
I have one little engine to display, so I don't need much space. This would allow me to have a place to sit when I get tired of carrying all of my new purchases around, right?
What about security, how do you keep from having your models stolen? (for people with valuable ones, not me)
Any help would be appreciated with this subject for a newby.
Mosey

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
Mosey,
Table space is free and first come first served.  If your model is air driven, most tables will have compressed air at 50 psi.  You'll need to be able to connect with standard 1/4" pipe fittings.  Space is usually plentiful even if you set up on Saturday.  With one model there will be space we can fit you into.

Security hasn't been a problem as far as I know.  No matter where you set up, folks around you will be willing to watch your stuff while you roam.

I set up with the Kinzers Rough & Tumble folks and we can always fit you in, plus at least one of us is always watching the displays.

Hope to see you there

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Mosey

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
I'll be there on Saturday and will look for you. Thank you for your help.
Mosey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

Mosey
Mosey I believe this is a good idea and as CF gets closer we need to figure out how many of us are going and where to meet up for supper. That is the ones who want supper. Stan and Paul live close and my be
can direct us to a nice place to be able to chat and enjoy meeting each other.

Don

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 07:52:26 PM »
I'm with you guys. Now, being in the food business, I like to eat where I can really sample the regions best food. This doesn't always mean the most expensive and usually it's a family joint much like my place. If we all were to visit Don, we would want FreshGulf seafood and coon ass specialties, not a chain joint, stop in my place it's all about pork, beans, and turnip greens :lolb: We go wit Stan and is it John's, Pat's, Luke's, Geno's, or Tony's huh? . Mosey, I did a little research on Jersey food, seems nobody eats there unless they are kin to the owner or are they are there to "pick up a little something for the boss" :lolb: :lolb:. If the body is moving, I'm gonna be there, and a man has got to eat. Y'all ever tried to run an engine without fuel? :cheers: :DrinkPint: :toilet_claw:

Whiskey

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
If the body is moving, I'm gonna be there, and a man has got to eat. Y'all ever tried to run an engine without fuel?

Don't forget the proper lubrication! :cheers:
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
The higher the octane,the more power produced :lolb:

Me

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »
I worry about those that think that (just sufficient, not too much  ;) ) lubrication is a no, no  :hellno:

Sorry guys maybe one year someone will offer to bring me but not this year  :shrug:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
 ;D :o : 8). Oh dear. Aussie Jim, can you arrange your itinerary to pick Jo up :LittleDevil: :lolb:

Me

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »
If it were me picking her up...then two people wouldn't make the show.
I'd be too interested in spending time in her own shop. That's show enough for me.  :naughty:
Add the possibility of a curry and...think Jack Benny as in there's nothing more to think about - "Well".
"To work. To work."

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
More like Onslo and Daisy :lolb: :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline Mosey

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
Here is what I propose: We meet for dinner and good times at 7:00pm, Saturday evening, at TGIFriday's. If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears. Would all who will appear, please let meknow so I can inform the restaurant.
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 10:00:19 PM »
I have a much better suggestion. As soon as I get home I'll post the website so u can have a look
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Local place. They are good with large groups. Had some very nice meals there. Good bar. Reservations a must for weekend notes. Take a look

http://www.whiterosebarandgrill.com
Best,
Stan

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
Count me in! :cheers:
        cheepo45

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »
More like Onslo and Daisy :lolb: :lolb:

I watch that show.

I'm surprised you would insult Jo that way.  :lolb:

Jo...would you like me to give him a slap up-side the head when I see him?
I'm willing to but I doubt I'd survive.
"To work. To work."

Offline Mosey

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »
Looks Good, Stan! Thanks. Do you want to call them or should I?
It's the kind of place even Eric will feel at home in.

Mosey

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2014, 12:13:51 AM »
Count me for a couple. I'll start with the little neck clams and one top shelf margarita, one Grey Goose martini, a whole lot dry and a pinch dirty. From the hot rock menu I'll have the Sampler for Two with Caesar and mashed red skins. Sparking on the water, and don't delay on the drinks, I get nervous :cheers:. Zee, Onslo is me hero, though sometime I can relate to poor Richard the best and there are days I feel like "poor daddy". Have you ever met me sister Violet, she has a Mercedes you know :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2014, 12:32:24 AM »
Count me in too!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2014, 12:35:50 AM »
You can count my wife and I also, just need a time to meet.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2014, 12:50:24 AM »
Anyone know what he's talking about? Eric, please translate.

Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »
Mosey
I'm in. You call.
Please renew your subscription to "The Journal of Southern United States Linguistics"
Best,
Stan

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2014, 02:34:13 AM »
I'm planning to get there about 1:00 PM Saturday, and the restaurant / bar on Beaver Street sounds great. 7 PM is good. I probably will not bring Muttley in that case. What time does the show end on Saturday? Looking forward to meeting some of you there. I hope to have at least something for show and tell... 8)

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2014, 03:37:02 AM »
Onslo is me hero

Andy Capp was me hero 'till I met Onslo.   :DrinkPint:

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »
At work years ago I had the nickname of onslo dont know why.
Rgds Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
Anyone know what he's talking about? Eric, please translate.

Mosey

I was perfectly clear to me  ;D

Bill
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:33:38 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
Mosey...It's from the British show "Keeping Up Appearances".

Eric...apologies...I got confused which was Daisy. I like Daisy.  ;D

I was perfectly clear to me  ;D

Bill

:lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 11:34:41 AM »
My plan is to be there Saturday noon-ish or shortly thereafter.
I can't promise attending dinner.
If I can make it but there's no room for me...not a problem. Plenty of laps.
"To work. To work."

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
  • North Jersey
    • MadModder
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »
I will probably be there on Saturday. Unsure if it will be just me or if the wife and child will come as well.

Eric

Offline Mosey

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 01:54:02 PM »
What I am going to do is ask everyone who wants to come to the dinner at the restaurant on Saturday nite to send a PM to me, tell me how many, and I will make a reservation for that number.
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »
Just to confuse matters, You may remember last year's Saturday reception and food and drinks for the exhibitors that Gary held at the Museum of Industry.
It may be the only chance to visit the museum (a must-see). This is assuming that it will be held there. I've been to the museum ( itnis a must-see) a few times so I'll  go where our group goes.
Just sayin'
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2014, 02:12:16 AM »
Stan...Is that the Agricultural and Industry Museum on Princess Street?
Looks like they're not open on Sunday. Drat.
"To work. To work."

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 05:18:48 AM »
Zee
That's the one. If you've never been, it's worth a drive at any time. Your close enough for a nice day trip when it warms up.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal