Author Topic: An Italian (5cc) Beauty  (Read 75070 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: An Italian (5cc) Beauty
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 01:31:32 AM »
Coming right along Ramon and a very interesting project!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
Hi Guys - managed a bit more yesterday and a little more today. This was more preparation work than actual advancement on the case proper but that should be next time.

First up was to turn up a new expanding mandrel and mount the 'closed' case on to bore out for the backplate. At this stage it still has .5mm to come out before screwcutting. The rear face was skimmed too to bring it exactly square to the bore ready for the next op on the case.

It was also used to face both sides of the 'open' case

A necessary diversion into the cylinder heads came next so two blocks were roughed out ready. A 32 TPI thread gauge was made for the cylinder heads and for the front housing at the same time (I've decided to cut the rear thread at 24 TPI - I'll turn the other end of the gauge when  the change wheels get swapped). A plug gauge for the heads and the crankcase liner bores was also turned up.

The length of thread inside the cylinder heads is 7.5mm and with such a small groove to run out in it was decided that this would be much better to do in reverse. With such low cutting forces involved it's most unlikely the chuck will unscrew and it certainly makes screw cutting such threads a lot less stressful. By keeping to 32 and 24 TPI the leadscrew (8 TPI) can be engaged anywhere which helps things even more. An old tool was pressed into service to turn the groove in....

..and an internal thread tool ground up from a discarded long series 6mm slot drill shank also found in the tin of previously used lathe bits

The threads were made a nice fit to the gauge and these in turn will be used as a gauge on the crankcase thread. The bore was taken out until the plug gauge was a nice slide fit and the hole for the comp screw drilled and tapped at the same time. These will be mounted to a mandrel at a much later stage to turn the outer profile and cut the fins.

The two threaded rings incidentally are for use as protectors once the threads are cut on the cases themselves.

That's the current state of play - tomorrow may see a slight distraction in getting the boiler flue done if friend John has recovered sufficiently from the seasonal malaise.

Talking of distractions - the 'plastic distraction' on Saturday was a very enjoyable day enhanced by the fact that the F8E Crusader was awarded best in class for 1/32 aircraft  :)

That's it for tonight then -having seen that fantastic work by 5700 :praise2: I hope this littl'un still has some appeal  ;)

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:13 AM »
That looks like a lot of progress to me Ramon, and yes....still very appealing too!!

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
A very informative post Ramon particularly as I see  in my future a similar thread having to be cut  ;)

J

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 10:19:37 AM »
That looks like a lot of progress to me Ramon, and yes....still very appealing too!!

Bill

DITTO!

:ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
Jason - I'm sure you and others have seen the method behind the madness but just to be clear - the screw cutting was done from the inside groove working outwards - hence doing it in reverse for a R/H thread. The saddle was brought up to a stop and the leadscrew engaged - it sure takes the worry away of having to stop 'in the groove'. Yes I know - I need one of Gray's magic clutches but that would be a 'sidetrack too far' I'm afraid  ::)

I managed to get the first case set up to bore and screw cut today but John came over and it was dropped in favour of soldering the boiler flue ;) - that  appears to be successful so I now need to get that pressure tested so I can get it inspected which means progress on the 'Ato's' will be affected by some degree over the next few days.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying it Bill (and Dave)

Regards for now - Ramon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »
Glad to hear you're still enjoying it Bill (and Dave)

Me too!
I mean...I'm enjoying it too!  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 02:34:26 AM »
She's very shapely.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
I'm loving, watching the beautiful shapes hidden inside, gradually being revealed........  :)

Keep on, keeping on Ramon.  :ThumbsUp:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
It's been a somewhat distracting time of late but I have finally managed to find a bit of time to get that screw cutting done on the top of the case - though not, as it turned out, without a minor anxiety crisis :o

The 'closed' case was set up first and clocked true to take a final skim out of the bore for the liner to bring it square to the main bore, establish the correct depth and importantly get the screw thread concentric. The case was set square and forwards to the face plate by interposing a parallel and, much against a lifetime of advice never to do so, held with only one clamp bolt as there simply was nowhere to back it up with another. Cuts were kept extremely light and no movement occurred.

A previously turned plug meant the tail-stock could add support for that interrupted cut around the top. The top slide was set over at 30 degrees so the top surface of the exhaust stubs could be cleaned up to get a good idea of their high point

The outer diameter was taken down to 0.2mm above finished size to allow for the milling and fettling ops to fair in. The screwed portion reduced to 26.0 mm then screw cut using a cylinder head for a guage

This first one went well so a change of the change wheels back to fine feed and it was time for the second one. The bore diameters incidentally were done to the same plug gauge as the cylinder heads
Another change of wheels and the last screw cutting. This went just as well as the first until trying the head on. The thread was a little tight so it was gently chased trying the head, the fit improving each time. Constantly aware of the possibility of the ali 'picking up' this was done quite gingerly until, with a slight tightening with less than half a mil to go I felt it grab -   :-\.  It was at this point with a rapidly deepening sick feeling that I knew this was not going to be my day ::) and kicked myself for not using some tallow that I had thought about doing earlier but overlooked. Some releasing fluid was squirted over in the hope it would penetrate and the head gripped with emery to gain a good purchase. Very tight it moved about half a turn. To improve the grip anti-slip matting was then tried - then heating it - then, in desperation, a pair of chain grips used - the only thing achieved was to undo the face plate. Reality dawned  - it was well and truly stuck - big time - so for the first time, though I've read and heard about it, I could quickly see that the only way out was to turn it off. Bugger!

The OD was cut back using a parting tool then parted off to leave the 'ring' ...

.... which was very gingerly turned until it began to break up

As you can see most of it fell or was pulled away save this one small piece stuck between the thread - absolutely bloody solid...

But after checking the bore was running true and re-aligning the tool it soon 'turned out' OK  - Pheww

Though it's down on diameter by .1 mm  that's not so much an issue as the new cylinder head can be made to match

So, though one of them is there as a back up there are still two viable cases  :D

With this op done the lathe is free to make up some plugs for testing the flue on the boiler build and with tomorrow earmarked for boat prep for Saturday it'll be a 'day or three' before the next phase.

In the meantime I hope that little 'epic' is of interest

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:08:14 AM by Ramon »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »
Nice save Ramon!    It happens!...at least you saved the case.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »
Ramon, I know that sick feeling to well and that was a nice save. You have supplied some great information on this thread and I for one am learning as you progress with it. Thanks for sharing.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:53:12 AM »
In the meantime I hope that little 'epic' is of interest

Most definitely.

A very interesting post. I'm glad all ended well.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 01:55:49 AM »
Wow nice save Ramon,

It is really a bad day when things gall; it is amazing how fast it can happen and how tight (instantly) things can get. My last time was shrink fitting a cast iron valve guide into a cast iron housing; they should have almost fell together but within a 1/2" they locked up tight. Fortunately I was able to press them apart and salvage the mess. An engine machinist friend ordered me some lube especially formulated for press fitting applications. I never would have believed that cast in cast would have done this; I guess I learned something here.

Enjoying your progress on this beautiful little engine.

Dave

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
Fantastic work so far :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I am following this thread with great interest :)

Nicolas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal