Author Topic: An Italian (5cc) Beauty  (Read 75300 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: An Italian (5cc) Beauty
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
I think the blue one is a bit cold and clinical, on the other hand the red one with it's additional brass work has a nice warmth to it and makes you want to fondle it, though Ramon has previously commented on my liking for red engines :-[ Look forward to seeing the video.

Back to teh laminating, I would think Jo can get away with an alphatic resin on the props, thats what I use for 90% of the stuff I laminate both flat and curved. Something like Titebond II which is a waterproof carpenters yellow glue should do the trick. If it were going outside then I'd be looking at an epoxy from the likes of West Systems

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #241 on: November 09, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
Their both beautiful Ramon!

I do tend to favor the red one though.

Thanks for sharing this incredible build with us; your work is amazing and inspiring.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
I vote for sending me the Red one  ;D

Well done Tug  :ThumbsUp: so after the video  :stickpoke: what's next  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
I'd like the red on the matt finished body ;-)

Beautiful work though Ramon!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
Ramon:

Beautiful results. Thanks again for sharing you build in real time.

Blue or red. Hmm. Like picking your favorite child, shouldn't go there.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
Beautiful done as always Ramon. Although blue is my favorite I love the red one. 

Don

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2014, 10:07:43 PM »
Absolutely beautiful Ramon!
They are both gorgeous engines.
Kim

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
Two beautifully sculpted engines, Ramon!

Well done. Well shown. Thank you...... 

David D

David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline moerman

• Zin in modelvliegen
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
I like the red one best, but both are gorgeous. The props are great too. I cut a lot of props for my rubber driven models, most out of balsa, but also out of willow, spruce, maroon and chestnut. A tutorial is on my website: http://www.zininmodelvliegen.nl/downloads/How_to_carve_a_balsa_prop.pdf

This one is spruce:

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »
This one is spruce:

Very cute, but I'd have at least 3-channel RC in it...  :naughty:

I have a 3-channel "Sleek Streak" which is only 10g heavier than the original rubber-powered version, using 2g servos, a geared 4mm pager motor driving a home-brewed glass prop, a single cell 80mAh battery and a Deltang quarter-gramme receiver.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:35 PM »
This one is spruce:

Very cute, but I'd have at least 3-channel RC in it...  :naughty:

I have a 3-channel "Sleek Streak" which is only 10g heavier than the original rubber-powered version, using 2g servos, a geared 4mm pager motor driving a home-brewed glass prop, a single cell 80mAh battery and a Deltang quarter-gramme receiver.

AS

For some reason I can't quite seem to get Spike Milligan out of my head  ::)

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #251 on: November 10, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »
I think that they both look great  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #252 on: November 10, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
Thanks Arnold, Vince, Jason, Dave O, Jo, Simon, Hugh, Don, Kim and David D for your comments and input. I have to say that it took quite a leap of faith to polish that crankcase but now it's done I'm glad I did as it is quite different to the usual finish.

Vince - I thought I might hear from someone else in sunny Malta  ;) ;) but I should've known better - no chance . I can hear the excuses now  :Lol: - Hope you're having a good holiday Chris and Gill

Jo - You must have missed it - it's a yachty thing for the coming few weeks then a restart on the steam launch. Engine wise haven't thought too much about it - I have some c'cases underway for a couple more '5's and then there's that Bentley I'd like to consider but I do want to make another steam engine too. It's all to far ahead to make any definite plans at the moment though  :)

Wout, My stick and tissue free flight days are long gone but I have many memories and still have a couple of rubber powered models up the loft. I gave all my indoor stuff away a year or so back but still have an awful lot of FF materials though - balsa, tissue rubber etc - theres just not enough hours in the day for every thing  ::)

Well to get this back on track guys  ;) I've had a good and basically uneventful session running both engines this morning and am very pleased with the results given the kind of engines they are.

Never intended as anything else but a machining project, to see and hear them run though is always a bonus  :D.

I think those jets could in actual fact be a tad smaller - maybe .2 -.25 mm as they still appear to run quite rich. The contra pistons are rather tight but I'll leave them as is at least for now as they will not get run that often and to remove them means a complete strip down.

You'll notice in the video the 'red head' version is rocking slightly - it's not a loose mount but rather the backplate loose and the rocking limited by the locking screw. That front housing was installed after that initial run using some Rocol pipe sealant used on the boiler. This appears to have cured the overtightening so the backplate has now been fitted the same - hopefully that will hold as well. I noticed as the 'blue head' was running that the front housing gradually tightened itself over centre so that's now been treated the same. One thing noticed compared to all the other engines made was just how hot the whole engine was - whether that's down to that mount blanking some airflow around the case as Jo was thinking I'm not sure - nothing serious just noticeably hotter when removing them afterwards.

Anyway heres a short vid of the two engines. I've spent most of the day getting to grips with a free download movie editor - this is my first attempt so no 'grimacing'  :Lol:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Gl4QVlksU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Gl4QVlksU</a>

That 'sluffing' noise you can hear as it's being flicked is not the piston slapping around in the bore  :o - that's actually coming from the intake.

Well that really is the end of the line - hope you all enjoyed it.

Now there's engines to clean and put away and a workshop to clean too before getting to grips with that yacht stuff.

Back soon - Ramon.

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #253 on: November 10, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
8)

They are not as loud as I was expecting, I had to turn up the volume  ;)

You meany catching that fuel bottle just as I was expecting it to fall off the table  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #254 on: November 10, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
very Nice pair of enginesRamon, wonder if that slightly smaller needle will cure the odd missfire? Hope you cleaned all that oil off Sue's best table.

J

PS Keep us posted on the launch progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back