Author Topic: 2 stroke, hot tube model engine  (Read 2830 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
2 stroke, hot tube model engine
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:51 AM »
Not mine, but interesting.  It's the first 2 stroke, fuel injected, hot tube model engine I've seen.  The same fellow built a Bulldog model tractor with what sounds like a similar engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gi41eYey8I

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: 2 stroke, hot tube model engine
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »
Chuck, don't know if you have seen their website but there are a lot of build photos of their models.

http://digilander.iol.it/liguori/index.htm

EDIT you probably have as I just saw the link on teh youtube page, I've had it bookmarked for a while.

J

Offline John Hill

• Playing in my shed at Ashburton, New Zealand.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
Chuck, I think that is a hot bulb, not hot tube, engine they are not quite the same.  This is how I understand the differences...

Hot tube engines used a carburetter but hot bulb engines used and injection pump.

In the case of the hot tube engine as used in some very, very early motor cars the mixture was forced into a heated tube and ignited when criutical pressure and temperature were reached.  In the case of the hot bulb engine, as was common on tractors including the Bulldog, fuel oil was pumped into the hot bulb but did not immediately ignite due to lack of oxygen (i.e. too rich) then as the piston came up (forward in most tractors) it forced air into the bulb and when the mixture was right the engine fired.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
A hot tube ignition was commonly used on the old open crank gas (coal gas/town supply)engines built in the 1880s, the tube was heated by a Bunsen burner, using the same gas supply that powered the motor.     Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal