Author Topic: New glasses....what have been your experiences?  (Read 8801 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
New glasses....what have been your experiences?
« on: February 15, 2014, 02:56:49 AM »
I just went in recently for a MUCH over due eye exam.....like 10 years over due.....

So OK...the arms were getting longer...and doing stuff in the shop was getting really hard...and there's always the drug store reading glasses that I've been wearing out there....not really safety glasses by a long shot.

I got my eyes checked for the works!....you name it, it got tested for including the dilation...which rendered me useless for 3 hours....

All is good I have nice healthy eyes....just need some glasses.

I have an astigmatism in bot eyes, but worse in my left.   I need magnification for reading as well.   

Having said all this I decided I would get the shop glasses first.   I opted for the progressive lenses.   Though in all actuality....I don't know if that was a good choice.

Well I got the frames I wanted suitable for optical additions such as monicals etcetera.   I also got the anti-glare lens coatings as I know the halogens really light up my readers......then I got the bill.......$420!.... :o

These things had better work!

What experiences have you guys...and gals ....had with new glasses in the shop?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: New glasses....what have been your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 03:42:26 AM »
Dave when I reached 40 is when my eyes started going down hill. And I needed glasses to read and like you had astigmatism. So had to have the full bifocal lens. My right eye is the weakest and requires more magnification. It took a while to get use to them but you have to have them so you do. The one problem I had was the distance I had to hold my book or what ever I was reading. This is fine as long as I can move it. So here's where the problem comes in, if I get into a close position and need to read, I can't focus enough to read it. Glasses are awkward to get uses to and your vision is directed  more through the lens.
Years ago I decided to try contact lens and they do make them with bifocal lens. The trouble I had was that the lens was too heavy and when I moved my head to the side they would pop out. This would get very expensive if it would get loss. By the way these were permanent lens.
So my doctor wanted to try soft lens and i was game since I was desperate to get rid of the glasses. They don't make a true bifocal soft contact,but one close enough to do some good. So we try what is called mono vision, which is one contact for far and one for close. You remember I mentioned my right eye was the weakest so it was fitted for close and the left for far. It was a little awkward at first but it worked. My problem of being in close quarters and not being able to focus has gone. I can' tell you how much better it is to wear the contact as compared to glasses. Wearing glasses feels awkward when I remove my contacts to sleep.
To work, I just wear my safety glasses when needed and no problems. The only issue that I have had was getting in to heavy winds as it tends to dry them out. You have to blink a lot to keep them wet.

Regards ?Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 04:20:36 AM »
I tried some glasses a couple of years ago. Due to having some extra FSA and some pressure from T.
For me it was a disaster.
Even though I had the prescription double-checked...I am convinced it was wrong.
Got sunglasses and one eye was always out of focus.
Got progressive and couldn't stand it.
Got some shop glasses made too but the only thing in focus was about the width of a single letter.
I've been on reading glasses for a number of years. Not a good idea.
I forget I have them on and walk around. That will only make things worse.

I do need to go back. But my lessons (for me) are:
I'm not doing progressive. I'll go with split lens even though T thinks it makes me look old.
She swears by the progressive. Just takes getting used to.
That's fine...but for me...I want to walk out of the store with immediate improvement.
Second lesson (for me) is to make sure I measure the length from my eyes to my computer screen.
I've gotten it wrong twice.

But the bottom line...no one can tell you.
It's like underwear. You're the only one it has to satisfy.
Make a decision and see what you think.
Most important...if you're not satisfied...go back and try something again or something else.
Your eyesight is worth it.

I need to take my own advice.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:29 AM »
Hi fellow gropers,

I've had glasses since 1979.

Started off simple with a single lense for reading things like the phone book.

next came graduated lense when I could read but not drive or watch the TV.

Went to bifocals because the graduated lense never seemed to be in the right place compared to where my eyes were so I was either unfocussed or had a crick in my neck.

The cricks got bigger so.............. now I have 2 pair, one for up close and personal, one for keeping my distance. For me it's less of a pain in the posterior to change glasses than it is to be unfocused or cricked.

As an aside it helped my welding no end.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:21:16 AM »
Hi Dave,
I've had glasses since high school.  Somewhere in my thirties I developed astigmatism, different in each eye (which I think is not that unusual).  Then around 40 I got my first pair of progressive lenses.  After years of wearing progressives, and constantly fighting tilting my head just right to get things in focus for a specific distance, and fighting the narrow field of view, my eye doctor suggested I try contacts.

I love them! I get a broad field of view, I can use regular sun glasses outside, I can use simple drugstore reading glasses for reading, and I don't have to look down my nose to read anymore.  And I use a different set of reading glasses for my computer monitor.

Of course, the downside is having to have the reading glasses with you when you need them.  But I've solved that by buying several pair of inexpensive reading glasses of the appropriate strength, and leaving them lying around at the places I use them.  And I always carry a set in my pocket, or on my shirt color.  Probably doesn't look cool, but I don't think I'm fooling any one even without the glasses :)

My eye doctor tells me that many people try this for a while, then go back to progressive lenses for the convenience.  But for me, the small hassle of carying glasses around is worth it to get the broad field of view.

Another down side is that with most of my machining work I have to wear my reading glasses, so I have to have safety goggles that fit over glasses.   But with the other option, I'd be wearing glasses with progressive lenses, so I'd still need the same glasses-friendly safety goggles.

Sounds like your getting prescription safety glasses?  That would certainly cut out the glasses capable safety goggles!  But on the plus side for glasses+goggles, the goggles can be replaced cheaply if they get scratched.  The prescription glasses are fairly expensive though.  But the are probably a lot more scratch resistant than the drugstore reading glasses.  So like Zee said; its all in what works best for you!  And only you trying things will tell you that!

Good luck with the new specs!
Kim

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Yes, it's a pain in the neck when you realise your arms aren't long enough. I much prefer to have dedicated prescription safety glasses in the shed, rather than goggles and reading glasses. every time I took the goggles off they would pull the glasses off as well, and the one time I just used the reading glasses was the one time I got a splinter in the eye. thought I'd managed to wash it out, but the next morning the rust stain in the eye said otherwise. went to the eye clinic where I was seen by a very young attractive  Swedish doctor who informed me this was her first day and I was her first patient! then said ' right lets have a look at your elbow'. aah, you've got to love the NHS!
I've stuck my safety glass case (with double sided tape) to the wall just by the door. when I go in the shed on they go, when I leave they go straight back in the case.
I think if I didn't do this , I'd end up taking them off leaving them on the bench , misplacing the case etc. that's when they'd get scratched and they certainly ain't cheap.

Don's post about having one contact for distance and one for reading.....strangely enough In my circle of friends (all in our fifties) only two don't need glasses and both are long sighted in one eye and short sighted in the other

peter

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
I've stuck my safety glass case (with double sided tape) to the wall just by the door. when I go in the shed on they go, when I leave they go straight back in the case.

I like that idea. Like Kim I have several readers around the house but they often tend to end up in a pile next to bed.

I used to use a strap to keep the glasses around my neck (not when machining) but after some good natured ribbing I quit. Took me a while to remember the strap was no longer there when I took my glasses off. Real embarrassing at work when I kept throwing my glasses on the floor.

T doesn't understand why I get upset when I'm given a shirt without a pocket. Pocketless shirts are near worthless.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »

I have the progressive Bi-focal that auto tint. They are an ansi 87.1 lens with permanent side shield.

All you can do is suck it up and wear them all the time. Hold the rail when you go down stairs and climb ladders. Takes about a week before you get used to them. Don't switch back and fourth from new to old glasses. Once you get used to them you will love them.

I just went in recently for a MUCH over due eye exam.....like 10 years over due.....

So OK...the arms were getting longer...and doing stuff in the shop was getting really hard...and there's always the drug store reading glasses that I've been wearing out there....not really safety glasses by a long shot.

I got my eyes checked for the works!....you name it, it got tested for including the dilation...which rendered me useless for 3 hours....

All is good I have nice healthy eyes....just need some glasses.

I have an astigmatism in bot eyes, but worse in my left.   I need magnification for reading as well.   

Having said all this I decided I would get the shop glasses first.   I opted for the progressive lenses.   Though in all actuality....I don't know if that was a good choice.

Well I got the frames I wanted suitable for optical additions such as monicals etcetera.   I also got the anti-glare lens coatings as I know the halogens really light up my readers......then I got the bill.......$420!.... :o

These things had better work!

What experiences have you guys...and gals ....had with new glasses in the shop?

Dave
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
I have progressives and they work very well for me. While I got the super high impact lenses, they do nothing to stop a chip from sneaking around the sides so I have safety glasses ( full wraparound ) that go over my glasses. No problem with those. For the close stuff, I flip down the B&L magnifier hood with the 2.5X plate inserted. It looks like the one Elmer is wearing in the only picture of him I've ever seen.  If he were alive today he could have gotten big endorsement money for the "Elmer Verburg Autograph Safety Magnifier by Bausch and Lomb"
Best,
Stan

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
I've got the usual age related long sight.  In the workshop I've tried various solutions.  About a year ago I got Specsavers to make me up a pair of bi-focals.  The upper part of the lens focuses at my normal comfortable distance from the lathe chuck - about 2 feet.  The lower part is much stronger and focuses at about 9", which lets me read the markings on milling cutters or peer more closely at the job in the lathe or mill.  This works very well for me.  If I drop something on the floor I find it more comfortable to take the specs off to see from standing height but otherwise I wear them all the time when in the workshop.  The lenses are plastic and I think give me sufficient protection from flying swarf but specific eye protection glasses could be ordered at extra cost.

HTH

Rod

Online Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »
I wear a set of tri-focals for my "walking around' glasses. The main part of the glasses is for distance viewing. The bottom inserted lens is for viewing close up like reading. The third inserted lens is just above the bottom one and is for vision at a range of about 48", where I couldn't focus with either of the other lenses--I couldn't read the labels on the cans in the grocery stores without that third lens. Then I have a separate pair of bi-focals to work on the computer. Main lens is for viewing the computer screen, inset lens is for when I glance down at the keyboard. (I can't touch type, so I have to be looking at the keyboard to type.) I found that progressive lenses made me sick to my stomach when I looked around. I find that the anti-glare coating seems to make my glasses "smear" very easily.---brian

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
I've used prescription reading glasses for around 20 years, but I find the cheap "2 pairs for £1.99" type are equally good, so I keep a pair handy wherever I might need them. I just look over the top when I want to see anything more than a few feet away.

The main reason for my post is to put in a word for full face safety visors instead of goggles. I always thought they were a bit excessive for hobby use, but I always wear one these days for the lathe or grinder. It's easier to slip on and off than goggles and doesn't interfere with the glasses at all. The only trouble I have is forgetting I'm wearing it . . . until I go to scratch my nose  :ShakeHead:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 05:45:56 PM »
I have been near sighted since 8th grade; 34 years wearing glasses. Now I wear progressive lenses and get by pretty good with them. I never was able to wear contacts; I tried for years an they always bothered me from the time I put them in until I removed them.

Both my job and hobbies require me to wear safety glasses, so I just use my safety glasses as my everyday eye wear. I get nice looking wire frames with removable fitted side shields. I also prefer glass lenses over the poly carb ones. They are quite heavy but much more durable than plastic; glass also can be ordered photo gray or Transitions is what I think they call it now. For many years you couldn't get the Transitions lenses in plastic but I think that may have changed.

I started having neck discomfort working at my PC both at home and work; this was due to having to tip my head back to get the monitor in focus. So last time I got a new prescription I also had them write me one for some computer glasses.

I had asked the tech in the dr's office about the cost and as you did Dave I got sticker shock. My safety glasses are mostly covered by insurance. So I got my safety glasses and had them write me a script for the computer glasses. I went to a large online place and got two nice pairs of rimless Computer glasses for less than half the price the Dr. wanted for one pair. One for work and one for home.

When I do it again I'm going to get progressive computer glasses; I can see the keyboard ok but if I need to read something or take a measurement it can be hard to see.

Here is the place I got my glasses from; eyebuydirect.com; a friend of mine has also purchased several pairs from them and has been pleased with the quality and service.

Dave

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »
When I was a kid, I was threading a needle holding it some 6" from my nose. My dad said "how do you do that?". Seemed a strange question at the time but now I'm much older and understand.

I've worn glasses since I was 25 or so. Started wearing bifocals at maybe 45 when my arms become short. I think progressives were new and quite expensive so I tried bifocals. It took some adjustment but I became used to them. I think the trick is waiting until you really need them, then they are such an improvement that you continue using them. Subsequently I obtained prescription readers, for reading sessions at awkward angles (like laying in a tent). As my need increased, these readers became computer glasses. I now have single prescription glasses specifically for the computer which live on the computer desk, and a pair of stronger readers. The strong readers really help welding, though I've found they make magnifiers to go in a welding helmet. I do have a small magnifying glass in the shop for reading the tiny lettering on taps and other small stuff.

Zee: I look old and everyone can see it, a line on my glasses doesn't make a notable difference. My wife agrees.

My wife recently tried progressive bifocals. As Brian found, they made her sick to her stomach and she gave them a good try. The optician replaced them with regular bifocals which are much better for her. But she's still trying to get used to them.

I've found opticians, at least here in the US, are very good about fixing problems under "warranty". I think they charge enough up front to easily fund this service. So it the progressives don't work, don't hesitate talking with your optician about a new pair.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
I've settled on Tri-Focals. Mine have extra-large mid-distance areas and also larger close (reading) areas. They do make me look older, but I want to see and not get dizzy or headaches. I use a full-face safety shield most of the time, rather than goggles. I also use optivisors and the round flourescent magnifier lamps when needed. I have had "computer glasses" and "reading glasses" made: these are Bi-focals with a close (reading) prescription where it is in normal Bi-focals, but with the longer-close distance in the top, where the distance prescription usually goes. I have gotten used to the Tri-focals as "all-the-time" glasses that I didn't renew the Bi-Focals. (Obviously, the "computer glasses" can't be worn when you want distance vision.)

It took me several years to determine what works for me. I feel that I have to say that finding a skilled doctor (Ophthalmologist in my case) who will listen to your specific needs and not base your requirements on what most people use is extremely important. My reading and working distances are quite different from "usual," so it took a while to get what I wanted. I have also found out that most lenses are compromises: Manufacturers do not really provide lenses for every situation, so finding a solution may take a few tries. None of this is cheap, which I have to consider and budget accordingly. My cheapness gene does come through when I try to get only new lenses for my old frames: I just did this for the third time in four years.

--ShopShoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal