Author Topic: Elmers Factory Engine - Modification  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Paul

Elmers Factory Engine - Modification
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:15 PM »
I like this engine (especially some of the builds I've seen by forum members) with the exception of the angle brackets either end of the cylinder that just look out of place to my eyes. It occurs to me that they could be removed if the bottom of the cylinder block was symmetrical with the top and the block was held in place by screws from below (as per my crude image attached).

Can anyone familiar with this engine or plan tell me if this is likely to cause a problem elsewhere - I realise that the screws will need to come up through the sub floor and/or floor.

Cheers

Paul

Offline ART

Re: Elmers Factory Engine - Modification
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:57 PM »
Paul, I made this engine several years ago, and like you did not like the brackets in the origional design. When I made the cylinder I just left the bottom portion square from the origional 1 inch block, and drilled two small holes which were spotted from the base. I do not remember how deep i made the holes, but they did not break into the bore. The two holes were tapped 4-40 using a bottoming tap since the holes were about .125 deep. It worked well. Good luck. Art

Offline Paul

Re: Elmers Factory Engine - Modification
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »
Excellent Art, thanks very much! I figured that there was enough 'meat' to get a decent length of screw in there. It'll mean machining the cylinder will be easier too.  :D

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal