Author Topic: Profiling/Contouring with the Lathe & Dremel  (Read 14597 times)

Offline kevin45

Re: Profiling/Contouring with the Lathe & Dremel
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:53 PM »
I see now that I am going to have to dig my Dremel out and make a holder for it. I also have a Roto-Zip that is an extra and I may be able to use.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Dremel has been bought by Bosch and greatly up-scaled, so the bearings on the new ones may be better than old.
This is a terrific way to finish. Damn, another one on the list.
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »
Continuing the box exterior thinking...

With the advent of QCTPs, those of you with Unimats might want to consider making an adaptor that allows you to mount the Unimat power head to the tool post.  I've considered it for a long time but all the tuits I have are square.

Since the Unimat head is made to do milling, this would obviate the bearing problem.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 03:45:58 AM »
Continuing the box exterior thinking...

With the advent of QCTPs, those of you with Unimats might want to consider making an adaptor that allows you to mount the Unimat power head to the tool post.  I've considered it for a long time but all the tuits I have are square.

Since the Unimat head is made to do milling, this would obviate the bearing problem.

Me too, Marv.  It sure looks like a tool post grinder to me!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Or you could beef it up a bit and use a die grinder, I made a really rigid post to hold mine on the myford.
It also takes larger diameter cutting tools as well which gives a bit more choice.

Phil

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
Phil

Just out of curiosity, what sort of Metabo hand tool is that?  Did it come with such a long neck?

Vince

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
Without going to the workshop to look at it I cannot tell you the exact model number.

But yes it did have a long parallel neck as standard, I chose it for that reason and the fact that the motor housing is offset to one side.
That gives a lot more clearance when using it near the lathe tailstock.

I dont think I paid more than about £60 for it brand new on ebay, but I have had it a good few years now.

I also use this for cylindrical grinding as well.
I designed and made this new grinder head for my Union tool and cutter grinder, but made it also fit the Myford cross slide at centre height whilst I was at it.

Just so we don't wander to far off topic, here is an early photo of my set up for cylindrical grinding with a dremel (actually its a Proxxon)
I occasionally restore antique cylinder musical boxes amogst other things, this is the setup for finishing the outside diameter on the pin tips of a newly re-pinned musical box cylinder.

Those photo's must have been taken more than ten years ago, as it was my old Myford ML7.

Phil

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Profiling/Contouring with the Lathe & Dremel
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »
How interesting. I'd never considered re-pinning music box cylinders before.

Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal