Author Topic: I'm Such a Klutz  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
I'm Such a Klutz
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:21:54 AM »
Last evening I came down the hall and stopped at the entrance to the living/dining rooms; I have a free standing cast iron gas stove (like a little wood stove). I stopped to scratch the dog’s ears; he is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My daughter was sitting in front of the stove painting her fingernails; I rose up from petting the dog and turned to go into the living room. Well Rugby the dog also stood up at the same time and tripped me; I fell and smashed my hand into the stove (it was not on) and managed to break my pinky finger on my right hand.

So tomorrow I go in for surgery to hopefully get it all screwed back together; it is broke right at the first knuckle joint in about 3 pieces. This is going to impact my day job and my hobbies for the news few weeks or months.
Fortunately my boss is a great guy and wants me back to work as soon as possible one hand or two. I’m sure I will be able to find something to keep me busy in the shop at work while I heal. At the home I will need to see how things go.

Maybe this will give me some time to catch up on some of the great work going on around here and post some comments which I not always good at taking the time to do.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: I'm Such a Klutz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:32:27 AM »
Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave. Sounds painful as you wait for the surgery, but at least you didn't get burned at the same time. Hope the repair goes well!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »
Ouch! Dave man, I am glad it wasn't any more serious. Your boss sounds like a great guy wanting you Even with one hand. Get better buddy that Pacific is waiting to be finished.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:52 AM »
Ow man. Very sorry to hear about that. Like Don said...sounds like you have good boss.
If it's any consolation...the upper midwest would say "it could be worse".
Take care. Keep us posted.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »
Dave-

Heal well.  Sounds like it could have been much worse.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
Geez, Dave. Hope all goes well with the surgery and healing.
OK, guys. Let's roll out the one-armed machinist jokes.
Best,
Stan

Offline terryzilla

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:33:04 AM »
Dave, 

Bummer.  These types of injuries hurt way to much.  Immobilize and a little ice.  Don't ask me why I know that.
I wish I could say get better but know no the drill, 6-8 weeks.

So can you type without your pinky?  Let see, you can avoid the 'p' words, variants of colons  - you don't need them, limited punctuation,  and of course the enter key....
I am sure you will find creative solutions.

Terry

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 03:28:18 AM »
Dave,

If ya need something....holla!

Sorry to hear of your accident...unfortunately....life likes to throw curve balls at us!... Glad your boss is the understanding sort, and obviously values your contribution!

Get well!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:09:55 AM »
Youch! Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave. That's a lot of no fun!

As far as being a klutz, I'm pretty sure you can blame this one on the dog!  We love 'em, but they sure can get in the way quickly!

Hope all goes well with the surgery, and that you heal up quickly!  And of course, that you can figure out creative ways to machine one handed for a while. :-\

Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 06:21:33 AM »
Hi Dave, sorry to hear of your mishape. I am living with a titanium plate and  10 screws in shoulder now for nearly 6 years. It is forgotten and life is beautiful. Also you will say something similar in the near future.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:23:05 AM »
 :o Nasty.

Sounds like an excuse to design some engines  :naughty:

Hope the surgery goes well  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:47:09 AM »
Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave - I hope it's not too long in the healing for you.

I share your exasperation in getting into the shop - when I was cutting planks for the Wide a Wake my left index finger lost an argument with my circular saw.  Instant thought was this is going to bugger up proceedings for a while. :o

Fortunately it didn't sever anything important but it was deep and has recovered at a 45 degree angle. You should have seen the look I got from the nurse when I asked if she could keep the dressing to a minimum - not exactly sympathetic to the cause but priceless none the less. ::)

Give it time - you'll soon be at that bench again  :ThumbsUp:

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
Sorry to hear of you mishap Dave.  Hope everything goes well with the surgery.

Vince

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
Thanks  for all the well wishes guys; I will know later today just how bad it is going to be. surgery is scheduled for 2:15 PM mountain time.

Jo I was practicing my left handed mousing skills last night; I seem to be able to do that ok and I can always type one handed.

Dave

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
Dave,
Sorry to hear of your injury. Hope there is no nerve damage, as they last a long time. Possibly use the off time for thinking about new work?
Speedy recovery.
Mosey

Offline Mike OConnor

• Tallahassee, Florida USA
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
Hello Dave,

Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope all goes well with your surgery.

One thing that will surprise you when you wake up post surgery and the anesthetic is still in effect, is just how heavy your arm is when it is dead weight. I had an entrapped ulnar nerve repaired a few years ago from resting my left elbow on the bench while holding parts in my left hand deburring, grinding etc. for many years. Be careful when it is completely numb as it is so easy to bump it. While your healing, you will find many ways to manage with one arm. If you keep your hand above your heart, it may help with the throbbing pain now and after surgery.

Best of luck today.

Mike

P.S. I have two big dogs, a 3 year old Black Lab and a 15 month old Rotweiler and they manage to jack up my back at least once a month when they decide to take off after a squirrel or rabbit when I have them out walking on a leash. Now, I just drop the leash! This past summer, they were chasing each other in a large field and took my wife out when they ran past her at full speed not paying attention to where they where going. She got hit with 180 lbs. of dogs at full speed and it looked like a kick returner who failed to signal for a fair catch. She was de-cleated. I thought it was going to be bad. Thankfully, she was OK, just a few bruises.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
I'm such a what?!!  You and I are going to have to have a long talk about your use of Yiddish slang.

I sympathize with your mishap.  Back at the end of October I slipped taking the trash out and really banged-up my lower leg.  Took literally months for the bruising to disappear.  Fortunately, nothing was broken and my mobility was not affected.

We're all getting older. (Now there's a penetrating insight.)  Old guys are expected to move slowly and deliberately.  Let's do our part to keep up the image. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 07:48:59 PM »
it looked like a kick returner who failed to signal for a fair catch. She was de-cleated.

I can manage basic Yiddish, but would be grateful for a translation of this into English.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Klotz or Klutz are from High Middle German Kleutz, and mean Dolt, dummy, block, or wooden beam. Hahaha!
Mosey

Offline Mike OConnor

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »
Hi Ian,
Sorry for the American 'football' reference. On a kick return, the person who catches the ball can put his hand up to signal a 'fair catch' if he chooses not to return a kick-off or a punt. In doing so, the ball is spotted at the place he catches the ball. He would do this if the opposing team is too close to allow him a chance to advance the ball. If he doesn't call for a 'fair catch' he can be at the mercy of the tackler, especially if he is concentrating on catching the ball. In cases where this occurs, the receiver can be defenseless and get badly hurt as the opposing team is running down field at full speed. It is a major penalty if the receiver calls for a fair catch and the tackler takes him out anyway. It can be an extremely violent collision and when a player is hit like that it is often said that he has been de-cleated or sent flying.
Hope this helps.

The way the dogs ran over my wife, they would have gotten a 15 yard penalty if she had signaled for a fair catch. However, she did not and paid the consequences. :lolb:

Mike

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
I think dogs here have there own league and penalty system or they have the refs paid off. Here's stories by both Dave and Mike and last year DOG (101 pound Shepard) broke a big brass snap ( like we rednecks put our keys on) and almost broke Lou's shoulder chasing a cat while we were on vacation. Kids and dogs, gotta love 'em.

Whiskey

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
Dave,

Hope your finger has a full recovery

Old guys are expected to move slowly and deliberately.  Let's do our part to keep up the image.

Yes, after my last base over apex involving a garden hose reel I can vouch that I returned to the vertical extremely slowly, extremely deliberately, extremely angry and with an extremely bloody shin, which like Marv's bruising, took weeks to heal.

Ah the joys of advancing years!

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
Thanks again for all the get well wishes everyone,

I ended up with six tiny little SS pins to locate all the pieces for healing; and a cast that has pretty much rendered my right hand useless. I complained about the cast to the doc and he is going to fix it on Wednesday; one of nurses put it on after he had left the room. I understand the need to stabilize the little finger but If could just be able to pinch my thumb and index finger together it will make life much easier.

Marv; sorry about the Yiddish slang, no offense taken I hope. That was first word that I thought of.

Mike I see what you mean about the weight of my arm; I did manage to bonk my self on the nose once last night.

All in all the pain isn't too bad and I'm hoping to get back to work sometime next week; I have a design project to work on so that should keep me busy at my desk for awhile.
Doc said 2 weeks in the cast then move to some type of a splint/brace; also start limited PT at that time to get things moving again.

I guess the worst part is I will have to have the pins removed in six to eight weeks.

Attached is an X Ray of my new hardware; the marks on the 4th digit were from the Doc explaining somethings to me and my wife.

Dave

Offline Mike OConnor

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
Hi Dave,

Glad everything went well. Hope your recovery goes as planned. Hang in there.

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
Holy heim joint Batman!    That's some hardware....and a tough spot to put it in!

Do what the "man" says Dave and don't push it too hard too soon.  Let it heal.   

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »
What Dave said Dave. Do what the doc says.
Best wishes and a speedy recovery.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
Marv; sorry about the Yiddish slang, no offense taken I hope. That was first word that I thought of.

No real offense taken but next time think a bit longer.  If you need help finding words to describe clumsiness contact Zee.

Hope the finger heals quickly.  I'm sitting here trying to imagine what sort of physical therapy they advise for a broken pinky.  All I can come up with is drinking a lot of tea with the ladies at a fashionable garden party.  Ear wax removal seems too fraught with opportunities for further injury.

Save the pins when they remove them.  Incorporate them into your next engine.  (But if the engine plaque contains the word "klutz" I'm gonna send no-neck Luigi up there to have a talk with you.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 01:44:01 AM »
Wow Dave, that is a lot of screws in a small area. You must have shattered it pretty good. Hang in there and take it easy until it heals. Even pinky's come in handy at times,

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 02:13:51 AM »
Take it slow. It will heal and you'll be back in the shop soon enough. Avoid metal detectors.
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 02:49:17 AM »
When I was building my boat, I drove a lot of screws.   I also drove lag bolts.   When  1/2 corded drill brings a 3 1/2" long lag bolt up tight , something is going to give!

I had a good handle on it I thought....I'm a big guy, and I have big hands.    Well Not big enough!..   That drill spun around and dislocated my pinky....there it was sticking out at a weird angle....I popped it back and tried to ignore it...but it took a few weeks before it felt normal again...seems good now 7 years later....but I got a new respect for Dewalt 1/2" corded drills!.........Can't imagine doing what you did....OUCH!

Get well Dave.....I miss your posts!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 04:11:27 AM »
If you need help finding words to describe clumsiness contact Zee.

I can but serve as example.
A teacher is required to point them out.
Hence my dependence on Marv. An excellent teacher.

But tenure he has not yet achieved.  :ROFL:

Clumsy is as clumsy does.

;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 04:21:04 AM »
Dave glad to see your on the you way to recovery bud, take care of that hand till it heals.

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 04:55:39 AM »
There's some pin money in that finger. You'll be juggling again soon enough, all the best, Hugh.

Offline terryzilla

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 06:06:49 AM »
Dave, 

Glad the surgery went well.  I assume they use non-magnetic SS.  I new a guy that had a pin in arm that walked up to a huge magnet once.  He was very unhappy during the unsticking process.

Rest easy and plan some great projects for when you get all healed.

Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
Well Dave, at least you're through the surgery part now!  That can't have been pleasant to look forward to!

Hoping the healing process goes well, and goes quickly!
Take care!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal