Author Topic: The dynamo and the tu-tu  (Read 38375 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: The dynamo and the tu-tu
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
Zee

You are describing a barely perceptible miss-alignment between the bearings which could have occurred when you pressed them in. Something that you probably could do nothing about at the time.

As I suggested; bolt the bells to the main frame in the best orientation you've found. Mark the ends and orientation. Make the reamer Ian proposed and get the holes in alignment.

Reassemble and test. If its still doesn't spin reasonably freely do it again. 

I say reasonably, as it doesn't need to be loose, it will finally bed itself in once you get it running.

Job done.

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »
Thanks Pete. And thanks for the kind comment.
Something that you probably could do nothing about at the time.

I think it's close. It may even improve (or not!) when I install all bolts. I had been using just two diagonally opposed. I'm going to leave as is for now.

I need to make some tooling to make the eye-let and binding posts.
That should be fun. It will add to Marv's frustrations about me...I'm not big on making cutters.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
Zee...just my opinion...but if you are getting 4-5 revolutions with the magnet in place I would leave it be and let it run in.  If you get it too free now with the plain bushings, they will begin to wear faster I think because of more movement of the armature. Even with perfect alignment you will see some wear over time...hence why some have replaced the bushings with small ball bearings. I would let it ride and then run it till it frees up more.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »
Zee...just my opinion...

Which I always take seriously. Thanks Bill.

You know...something that bugs me is that I ran into you at CF last year. Remember? I'd put Spinster near you.
I wish I'd spent more time there getting to know you and all the others. I feel like I hardly gave you guys the time of day. I hope to have more time to talk with you and all the other members this year.

But I must admit...I may be distracted. Eh Eric?  :naughty: And I ain't talkin' beans.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »
Of course I remember and I hope we can all spend more time together this year. The Spinster looked even better in person too :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 10:24:05 PM »
Well, I know you've been waiting, so, here's my input. I agree with Bill. Bolt it all up and either run a battery or two dead in your cordless drill or use your lathe and let it run in. If it's spinning that freely, the run in should set it about right.  Distractions, well big boy you may be, but, I can tell you right now without owning a pair of bib overalls, or a pair of faded and starched Wranglers, or a pair of handmade Lucchese boots it's seriously doubtful she's gonna be :cheers: :lolb: :thewhip: :thewhip: :thewhip:. But hey, I'm bringing more beans :cheers:

Y'all come see us,
Whiskey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »
Distractions, well big boy you may be, but, I can tell you right now without owning a pair of bib overalls, or a pair of faded and starched Wranglers, or a pair of handmade Lucchese boots it's seriously doubtful she's gonna be

Well that was a mistake my friend. You've told me what I need to do.
Time to go shopping.
I won't worry about the boots though. If the eyes travel that far...then I've lost. You already know my best feature.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Here is a rough sketch of a tool makers reamer.  Cut the angle at about 20*, the exact angle is not that important.   Ian S C

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
Ian beat me to it! :ThumbsUp:

Those reamers work well.    bring the hole to about .005" undersize first with a boring bar so that the hole doesn't have any run out.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
Thanks Ian.
I could make that with drill (silver) rod then harden it right?

Thanks Dave.
Er...what hole are we talking about?
"To work. To work."

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »
What ever hole you use that type of reamer on.

And yes, you can make one with drill rod and harden it,   Then stone it nice and sharp.   They work very well.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2014, 01:29:15 PM »
What ever hole you use that type of reamer on.

Of course.  :slap:
"To work. To work."

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
I have made a few of these reamers and if you keep a nice edge on the angle and take it slow and easy they work pretty nice for line reaming. If you use some drill rod just make sure it is nice and straight and now taper in it. I usually make them from pre-hardened drill blanks and have used some dowels even though they are only case hardened they will work ok.
 Thats is a nice looking little gem your building I really need to get serious and build one too! 

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »
For the bearings of a little generator/motor, the same steel as the shaft, unhardened would do, it only has to take off .001" or .002", and probably only off one bush, job done. But it would be worth hardening and tempering the reamer, and put it away carefully, and in years to come you can make another one "cause you can't remember where you put the first one,  it will turn up just after you finish with the new one :ROFL:  Ian S C

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »
Zee,
Sounds like you are almost done. It won't spin freely with the magnets in place. With any oil on your fingers it will hardly turn. Oil up the bearings. Hook it up to set of of 4 AA batteries in series (6v Radio Shack battery case). If it starts and runs quietly, the bearings will settle in. Paint it and get it belted up to something.

Depending on what you have in mind for your new generator, you might want to add an external switch mode voltage regulator to provide a constant voltage output. Every slow speed engine has some running irregularity and the generator output mirrors that irregularity. It is especially evident in light bulbs as light flicker. Here is a video of one of my engines driving a PMR generator with a regulator. You can hear the generator irregularity, but the voltage output is constant. PM me if you want any information on regulators.

Have fun with your new generator.

Jeff

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9V7mye21aI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9V7mye21aI</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal