Author Topic: The dynamo and the tu-tu  (Read 38376 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: The dynamo and the tu-tu
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »
That's a shame Zee. It's happening everywhere. There were those few that held their ground during the first "big box" squeeze. However, with soaring overheads, lack of bulk purchase power, and the fact that most of us poor independent shmucks don't have post graduate degrees, I fear we may all have to start shopping the old inter web more and more. The big boxes just ain't gonna carry what we need for those "Aw crap" moments. Kinda on topic yet off topic. How many times have you walked into a retail outlet and ask about a product and had the salesperson say; "Have you checked our web site?" I just want to say; is that where you find your paycheck each week, on the website,  Gimme a break here. Read my lips, "shut up Eric"  :lolb: :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 06:15:12 AM »
How many times have you walked into a retail outlet and ask about a product and had the salesperson say; "Have you checked our web site?" I just want to say; is that where you find your paycheck each week, on the website,  Gimme a break here. Read my lips, "shut up Eric"  :lolb: :lolb:

Whiskey

No.....................but I have to go to my bank's website to see if our pensions have been paid. Does anybody these days pay their employees, their creditors their utility bills etc in cash? Seems to me we only need cash for small or discount retail sales outlets. You can even buy a Big Mac on credit!! ask me how I know :lolb:

And not forgetting WELCOME BACK ZEE

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »
Marv...a 2mm? Of course! Why I'll just run down to the store and....aw rats.

Eric...yeah it's sad to see the small shops go. So easy to browse and find the oddity on the web. And so often can get near next day delivery. But restaurants and diners need not worry until hot grits -n- gravy can be delivered.

You can even buy a Big Mac on credit!!

But not gamble. There's a difference?
Thanks for the welcome back Bob.

=====================

Made some progress last night. The 5/64 bit worked fine.
If the snow keeps me home tomorrow we should find out if Marv gets "rats - you're right" or a "ha on you!"
If it's the latter...is this project worth it? I have serious doubts.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 12:52:04 AM »
Crapola.

Can't I trademark, service mark, or register that? It should be mine.

This is what happens when you try and machine yet allow family to interrupt you every few minutes...

Boo-boo #1: See the right side? I checked the height...went to the left side...milled it...then went back to the right. Stupid. So I milled the boss right off.

Boo-boo #2: See the top left. Not very well centered. Not sure how that happened.

Maybe boo-boo #3. See the center. Looks off center but we don't know yet if the boss is off center, Marv is right, or I'm lucky.

Boo-boo#4: Which I hadn't mentioned yet. I think the thickness of the rim is wrong.

But! If the armature doesn't bind...it should still work.

Root Cause:
Not taking my time.

Maybe I can register this one...I use it often...

"Crap, crap, and crap."  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 01:38:58 AM »
Carl, if need be, call the PMR folks...they are good about supplying replacement castings and at a reasonable price too. They understand we all make boo-boos!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 01:47:24 AM »
Carl, if need be, call the PMR folks...they are good about supplying replacement castings and at a reasonable price too. They understand we all make boo-boos!

Bill

Might do. But only at my expense. It's my boo-boo. And only if I really screwed up the hole for the bushing and it turns out that Marv was right.  ;D

If the dynamo works...I'll put a little model of myself nearby. Then no one will notice the boo-boo and will focus their 'comments' on me. I'm quite used to that. If I weren't...I wouldn't still me here.  :lolb:

So long as it's fun...I don't mind stubbing my toe.
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 01:51:02 AM »
Carl that should be to much of a problem cut it bigger and just put a plug in. The other two holes are for the brushes, shouldn't make much different. My I ask why you didn't bore the bushing hole while it was in the lathe, it would of been true to the flange face and centered.
Cheer up buddy and get after it.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 02:28:18 AM »
M[a]y I ask why you didn't bore the bushing hole while it was in the lathe, it would of been true to the flange face and centered.

Very good question. The answer however would reveal various weaknesses in my thinking that, while known to all, I would rather not reinforce their correctness. That is, I'm trying to avoid the "I told you so" and "I knew that would happen". A rather futile endeavour (which when you think about it...is still better than crickets chirping).

It all goes back to what Marv was (trying to) teach me long ago. Think about the order of operations etc.

I was stuck on the idea that if I centered the frame in the mill...then I could ensure the end bells and bushing would be centered. It did not occur to me that since I had made the bells to fit the frame...it should already be centered in the lathe.

So...lesson to any newbie following along...I'm making mistakes. Don't do what I do. Question what I do. Learn from my mistakes.

I take no responsibility for fools following fools.  ;D Unless I'm the following fool. Which makes me responsible only for myself.

Time to go. Snow has started. Got gas for the generator. Kids are home. Got a belly full of pizza. Best friend doesn't need chemo. We're partying.  :cartwheel: Glass needs filling.

Take care my friends.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Sigh.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
 :???:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »
Sigh.
:???:
;D
Allow me to translate..."I told you so" but with a touch of frustration in having to say it and not really wanting to.  :Lol:
Am I right Marv?

So. I milled down the other post so it 'looked' more like the other goofy one. Yay.
Then I turned down a bit of aluminum to fit the bushings so I could use it to press the bushings into the bells. Yay.
Pressed the bushing. Yay.
At this point things go awry again. Which I suppose is good as I'd rather be on a continuum than stuck at a point.

One bushing was a bit tight. Could it have been crushed? Might I not have bored large enough?
A quick run through with a .124 reamer seemed to do the trick. Yay.

Put the armature in and the bells on the frame.
The armature length prevents the bells from reaching the frame.  :cussing:
There's a gap of about 0.045.  :o
Bummer.

It's not the frame. Called for 1.56 and I measure 1.557. So you 'could' say it contributes 0.003 but that's really nothing.)
Doesn't look like the bells either. The rims are supposed to be 1/8 and I'm actually a bit thicker on both.
Doesn't look like the bushings either. They're supposed to be flush to the inside surface...and they look right.

Can't really press the bushings in any more. The armature ends will rub against the inside of the bells.
Bad armature?

The lesson here (there are others) is I should have measured the length of the armature. Then calculate the actual frame length and/or bell rim thickness and verify to drawing.

Right now my options are:
1) Machine a spacer to go between a bell (or bells) and the frame. That'd be pretty thin and wouldn't look good.
2) Order up some more parts and rename this thread "The dynamo and the tu-tu: redux"
Any other thoughts?
"To work. To work."

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 07:08:06 PM »
I say old boy, any chance of a piccy or two to show what's going on here. I think I know, however, just thinking has statistically gotten me into a bunch of trouble :lolb:. Let's not bin the stew till we see if we can make a casserole out of it 8)

Whiskey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
Here you go...

This one shows the bells with bushings pressed in and the little tool I made for pressing.
I used an old cheapie drill press.
The tool was from the scrap box. The hole was already there and doesn't go very deep.

This one shows the gap. The armature's length prevents the bells from getting any closer to each other (i.e the frame).
While it may appear that the gap is bigger at the top than at the bottom this is simply because of the tilt because the bell won't seat.

I'll be surprised if casserole can be made.

I didn't show the armature. Other than machining either the bushing at one end or the commutator at the other...nothing can be done. I would not be comfortable modifying it.
"To work. To work."

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
Hi Carl we've not been in touch for a while.

If its just about the length of the armature I'd just put the bells back in the lathe and with suitable size end mill take a light cut off the inside of the bell where the bearing is. You are only talking a few thou at each end

Suitable size? as small as possible to get the clearance you need. The diameter commutator would be the the largest.

A 5min job

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:34 PM »
How does the armature fit or sit in the bearing on the right side in the photo. If it's not a  " thru" bearing on that end, could you just not face off the end of the armature, the working part of it would still be where it needs to.

Whiskey

Wait a minute Bullwinkle, give me a close up of that right side in the photo, bearing, from the outside.

Whiskey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal