Author Topic: Whack-Valve Experiment  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Paul

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 37
Whack-Valve Experiment
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
Following on from this thread I've cut a bit of metal for this simple experiment. As the machining involved is very basic and it has an ugly block-like appearance I won't post any boring 'here's-this-part-being-made' photos! I've flipped the valve and cylinder positions, the yoke will reach over the valve rod to engage the crank disk and provide the necessary 'whack' to each stop (yet to be made) on the valve rod. The frame is steel, the cylinders cast iron and all slidey-bits in brass. Bore is a tad under half inch.

In a complete change of habit (and in part because of the cast iron) I've used loctite rather than silver solder to stick in the cylinder end caps, crank disk to crankshaft and pistons to rod.

No idea if it will work but I had some success with a teeny-weeny proto-pump that has a similar valve mechanism : 


Offline Alan Haisley

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 669
  • Near Clayton, North Carolina, USA
Re: Whack-Valve Experiment
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
Good luck Paul. It'll be interesting to watch.
Alan
Near Raleigh, NC, USA

Offline Paul

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 37
Re: Whack-Valve Experiment
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Hehe, thanks!

Roughed out the yoke this evening - garage/workshop is far too cold to do more! The holes line up nicely, just need to cut the slot, trim off the excess steel and make the threaded hole for the screw to lock it to the piston rod.

Paul

Offline Paul

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 37
Re: Whack-Valve Experiment
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
Made the slot and thread for the locking screw. Next, shave off the dead weight from the yoke, connect it up properly and apply careful fettling to make it turn freely. After that just the 'knockers' to fit on the valve rod, a simple flywheel and an 'outboard' standard. Oh and a base  :ROFL:

Offline Paul

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 37
Re: Whack-Valve Experiment
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
Made some adjustments and fitted the collars to the valve rod so the mechanism at least operates correctly when connected to the lathe. Need to make the two inlet connectors to try it on air then decide if it's worth making the other bits!