Author Topic: Brown Paper Gaskets  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Brown Paper Gaskets
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
I'm getting close to finishing up my current engine build (Marine Twin Cylinder Build (Steamech)http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1584.0.html) and was considering adding the oil soaked brown paper gaskets I've seen other people use.  But I have a couple of questions:

Does this make a difference in the performance of the engine?  Do you leak less air?

Is it enough difference to make it worth doing?

Any particular kind of brown paper you would recommend?  Brown grocery bag?

And what kind of oil do you soak your brown paper in?  Standard 10-40 motor oil? Way oil (seems so thick)? Light oil, like 3-in-1 or something like that?

As always, thanks for the help!
Kim

fcheslop

Re: Brown Paper Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »
Manilla envelopes work well.
cheers

Offline Pedro

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
When I was in San Diego, the store gave free gasket material with any alcohol purchased. Perhaps the authorities have a negative stereotype of mechanics?
Grease is useful with complex gaskets to stick them in position.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
It depends on how good a machinist you are. The smoother the finish on your mating parts, the thinner gasket you can get away with. It does make a huge difference in the performance of the engine. I generally use cardboard cereal box to make gaskets, unless its the head gasket on an i.c. engine.--Perhaps that makes a statement about my machining abilities.--------

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:12 PM »
Interesting...

fcheslop, do you soak your manila envelope with anything? Or do you use it dry?

Pedro, Brian, the cardboard gasket material seems thicker than I was picturing.   There are a couple of place on my engine where I don't think I could handle that additional thickness.  But maybe I need it! :)

Do either of you use oil on your cardboard?  (beyond the grease to get it to stay in place :) )

Thanks for the tips!
Kim

Offline John S

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:42 PM »
Get someone with a laser to cut the gaskets for you, do a stack and you are set for life, the quality is awesome.

The hole in the middle is 1mm, the hole on the stalk is 1/2mm as is the annular groove. 14 seconds to cut this.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

fcheslop

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
Hi, just a drop of oil .What ever is to hand straight 30 or cycle oil
cheers

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:04 PM »
Thanks for the additional info fcheslop.

John, that's a pretty impressive gasket!  Not sure I'm quite up to that standard yet, but that looks beautiful!  :)

Kim

Offline John S

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »
That's the beauty of a laser, if you can draw it, you can cut it.

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »
Hi Kim, seeing the discusion about gaskets, I will take the opportunity to show which system I have in use. May be it is  worth to think about it. In your country is a company based, selling low cost cut plotters.
http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/select-a-silhouette
My one is the 'portait'. In the included software you can import any  dxf file and cut your gasket. 10 pieces in one go, if necessary. My gasket paper is from a car/bike part shop down the road, between 0,15 and 0,35 mm.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »
I used that free brown gasket paper provided by Amazon in their parcels as packing. Iron it out perfect  :ThumbsUp:

John love the gasket but, other than your good self, not many of us have a laser cutter at home to cut our gaskets out with or could afford to get someone to laser cut them for us :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
Since I design everything with 3D cad, I just print off the mating surface of the part at 1:1 scale, stick it to my cardboard with a gluestick, then cut it out with small scissors, and exacto knife, and a host of small "core punches" that I have made up on my lathe. I don't use oil. I either use grease or Permatex gasket compound on both sides of the cardboard.---Brian

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »
Kim if you plan to run your engine regularly and on steam use gaskets. If you plan run them on air and to put them on the shelf with other engine and run them now and then don't use gaskets at all. My engines have no gaskets on them and leak very little and has no effect on them running. They have been placed in Doll cases to keep them from tarnishing quickly. I have had two of them in cases for over a year and have not tarnished yet and they are all brass. I do run them now and again for my grandsons.

Just my 2cents

Don

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
I'm with Don on this.  I have only used gaskets on my Stuart 10V and that was because they were provided in the kit.  My other engines (only 2 but both twin cylinder) both run without gaskets although I have used a smear of non-setting silicone gasket compound on jointing faces.  Gasket goo is a LOT less time and patience consuming than paper! :Lol:    Having said that, I run my engines on air only so if you are going to be using steam this opinion may be invalid.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline John S

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 09:51:13 PM »
I used that free brown gasket paper provided by Amazon in their parcels as packing. Iron it out perfect  :ThumbsUp:

John love the gasket but, other than your good self, not many of us have a laser cutter at home to cut our gaskets out with or could afford to get someone to laser cut them for us :LittleDevil:

Jo

Jo laser I can understand but what's an iron ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal